• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hypothetically speaking... advice please...

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
I have been thinking for ages that I want a dog. But I'm not easily pleased. Dont want anything little and yappy but cant have anything too big as having to live in a wee ickle FMQ with this posting. I want a pug but I've been veto'd and I veto'd a collie cos my Aunt had one when I was a child which wasn't a nice dog and used to snarl and snap at everyone. It scared me then and still did until he died a couple of years ago.

So what would you lot recommend and why??

PraiseBacon

Sergeant
A guinea pig! - they are big enough to play with round the house - don't take up too much space - arn't needy like dogs and getting the neighbours kids to look after them while you go in hols for a week is easy!.

or

a rabbbit - same as above and you can eat the thing when you get bored of it!

those suggestions may not seem helpful at first glance - but my general experience is dogs are far to needy and should be avoided as pets - especially for forces people as they don't change location well if you get posted and can go all weird on you.. Hence - a plant is a better bet, or a hamster for something small!.

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
Border Collie, we've 3 in our family and they're all lovely dogs! Depend on how you bring them up, have them from a pup and be tough with them, esp when around 2 yrs old and they'll be grand.

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
Border Collie, we've 3 in our family and they're all lovely dogs! Depend on how you bring them up, have them from a pup and be tough with them, esp when around 2 yrs old and they'll be grand.

Honestly mate I am actually scared of collies. Like I said my Aunts wasn't nice and used to growl and snarl at us all the time even as adults. He did it to everyone. Collies make me very uneasy and they are a breed I would never go near. Even as an adult years on I still dont feel quite at ease around them where as I am fine with any other dog. Love them.

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
A guinea pig! - they are big enough to play with round the house - don't take up too much space - arn't needy like dogs and getting the neighbours kids to look after them while you go in hols for a week is easy!.

or

a rabbbit - same as above and you can eat the thing when you get bored of it!

those suggestions may not seem helpful at first glance - but my general experience is dogs are far to needy and should be avoided as pets - especially for forces people as they don't change location well if you get posted and can go all weird on you.. Hence - a plant is a better bet, or a hamster for something small!.

I've thought this myself for years so we got a cat...... still want a dog. It wont be yet but soon. Fook hampsters them things get out and eat through your wires!! ha ha

Martin Blank

Sergeant
Good job I never brought in my pup to see you then Bird. He's a handsome black and white border. We thought long and hard about getting a dog now we have 2 both collies one dog and now a 5 month old bitch. Beagle not to big like to run and good temperament.

timaloy

Corporal
Rescue a husky, they're a medium breed good with kids and love being outside long walks or runs to keep up the fizz and they have an amazing temperament, botched are smaller than males by half the size

G

grumpyoldb

Being a lecky................... :pDT_Xtremez_42: :pDT_Xtremez_31: I have a 14 year old Border. He's the second one I've had :pDT_Xtremez_42: and he's a real character. You just need to make friends with them as a pup and they are one of the most faithfull dogs around. They will protect your home.
Ours will let anyone in, but god help them if they try to get out.

Dogs are what you train them to be. Let them be the boss and you will regret it. Just be firm but kind with them. That's all it takes. I also have a whippet who is a fcuking nutter......................

whip.jpg

Last edited:

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
Honestly mate I am actually scared of collies. Like I said my Aunts wasn't nice and used to growl and snarl at us all the time even as adults. He did it to everyone. Collies make me very uneasy and they are a breed I would never go near. Even as an adult years on I still dont feel quite at ease around them where as I am fine with any other dog. Love them.

Oh well, strange things us humans! My fiancee and I won't touch any other breed such are the good experiences we've had with Borders.
My boy in his prime.

Attachments

• ben1.jpg
    ben1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 0

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
I just got a Rhodesian Ridgeback, lazy around the house so size isn't important (they grow BIG!), fantastic temperament, intelligent, easy to train and very handsome.

G

grumpyoldb

Oh well, strange things us humans! My fiancee and I won't touch any other breed such are the good experiences we've had with Borders.
My boy in his prime.

Good looking dog, Dave. Here's my current Border..................... It's Ricky.................. :pDT_Xtremez_31:

ricks.jpg

Studley dangerfcuk

Flight Sergeant
If I were to get a mutt it would be a Border Collie, the wife had one for years and our Section dog is one as well.
Me, I'm too lazy. Splash out and get the best of both worlds, a Bengal Cat. They're quite big and plenty of fun.

24042010121.jpg

Studley :pDT_Xtremez_30::pDT_Xtremez_30:

topstop

Corporal
English Springer great dog, needs a couple of hours walking a day, put on 2.5 st. since he died, sniff.

VAHSboy

LAC
Ill second the Bichon frise reply.. We've got 2 and they're ace, they are small but not too yappy.. And very loving.. Hypo-allergenic as well if that helps and they don't malt/molt.. Your other half may not thank you though as he'll look like a right nine bob note walking them...:D