• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How time flies by

GD on Wheels

Sergeant
Well it's 25 years to the day that as a fresh faced 18 year old I signed on the dotted line and took the Queens shilling. Taking the oath, watching the films on Swinderby, supposedly to show you what to expect on arrival. Load of balls that was.
Getting my first order to report for basic. Oh yes and down to the pub for a few beers to celebrate afterwards. So what do you remember of that fateful day and do you often wonder where the fcuk did the time go?

P

pie sandwich

Tell me about it, in just a few months it will be 15 years since I stepped out of the Manchester CIO having just done my attestation, and 2 years since I became a civvy. It really does not seem that long.

G

grumpyoldb

Tell me about it, in just a few months it will be 15 years since I stepped out of the Manchester CIO having just done my attestation, and 2 years since I became a civvy. It really does not seem that long.

I was in the manchester CIO office in 1973. The difference between then and now, I was at Swinderby within 4 weeks. The day before I travelled, I had a short back and sides. the barstewards still marched me down the barbers shop and made me pay for another one.
I only signed on for 3 years, then extended to six, then extended to nine, then extended to twelve. That was the end of the joke. I decided to bang out.

That was 24 years ago.

GD on Wheels

Sergeant
First hair cut was free, 60p a pop after that. Times that by x amount per week per bod. The **** must have been minted :pDT_Xtremez_19:

spanners

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Next Monday (9th Nov) is my 22nd anniversary in the RAF it is also my last paid day.
My attestation was carried out at Southampton CIO in 1987, I had done the deed, collected my advance and was walking to the train station when I realised that I hadn’t actually signed anything, so I walked back and asked if I was meant to sign anything, there was much nervous laughter, the paperwork was signed and I went on my merry way. I’ve often wondered over the years, what if?

GD on Wheels

Sergeant
Snap! Southampton CIO for me too. Although Portsmouth did all the donkey work!

Last edited:

spanners

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Bournemouth did the donkey work for me! (They promised me I would be a Sgt after 12 years, more like 18!)

G

grumpyoldb

I walked back and asked if I was meant to sign anything, there was much nervous laughter, the paperwork was signed and I went on my merry way. I’ve often wondered over the years, what if?

After my mechs course at Halton, I was posted up to ISL and was given a big brown envelope to take with me. On arrival the chief clerk went beserk.
Halton had given me ALL of my docs to take with me, and ISL didn't know I existed. :pDT_Xtremez_31:

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Blackburn CIO June 1979 signed on the dotted line. Now a proper KOS but bl00dy hell it's gone quick. happy days

I will always remember the guy in the CIO who signed me on as rigger, his proud boast was in the three years he had worked there he had never signed anybody on as a copper. He reckoned he always talked them out of scuffer and into another career. What the RAFP had ever done to him in the past I never found out.

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
Blackburn CIO June 1979 signed on the dotted line. ....
Same month just down the road in Preston is when I said "yes" :pDT_Xtremez_19:... had to wait til the following January, til I was old enough, to sign on the dotted line though.
I haven't got a flaming clue where the past 30 years have gone :raf:... but I know that there's not very much I would change :pDT_Xtremez_14:.

In fact, now I think about it, just about every camp, unit and section I was posted to (over a 28 year period) are now either closed down, gone civvy or had a change of purpose (Halton now being Recruit training and not Techy trade training).

Last edited:
B

Blanketstacker

30 years where did it all go, Remember as if it was yesterday going to Bangor CIO to swear my alligance then the bus journey back to even deeper into wales, seemed all very quick then it was off to the heady heights of Swinderby, 7 weeks of character building!! , and then unleashed to camps that are no longer in existance Now with greying hair and a bigger belly, I do look back and think those where the days, days of Phantoms, Bucc's, Jags Vulcans, Victors, when the skies above East Anglia where thick with planes ( mostly on finals to Mildenhall ) RAFG ( 2 years of cheap Booze and fun, RAF Stanley ( best tour ever) and the Mighty SLR as a weapon. Rose tinted glasses I know but they are my memories and if I could do it all again where do I :pDT_Xtremez_19:sign !!!!!

G

gemarriott

I remember leaving the CIO in Nottingham after my Attestation as a fresh face 17 year old and being taken across the road to the pub by the recruiting Sgt who happened to be a plumber and who also had persueded me that I was destined to be one too, despite having all the 7 aircraft trades open to me. We had 4 pints and he regailed me with tales of plumberdom to come, he was so right :pDT_Xtremez_14:

I am so glad I listened to him and became one of gods chosen few :pDT_Xtremez_30:

I don't remember much about the CIO. I do remember being sat on the wall at Swinderby station waiting for the bus to arrive.

When it did this barrel-chested, slashed peak beast of a drill sgt stepped off the bus and so it began...

matkat

SAC
Dundee CIO in June 1976 as you say where did the years go, sitting in a hotel room in South West Iran at present ah the memories......

Vushtrri

Sergeant
Having spent a very hot summer.....1976 harvesting then cleaning out calving pens I decided that farming wasn't for me so bimbled off to Canterbury CIO then Swinderby just before Chrimbo... One of the few names that still sticks with me after all these years is one of the DI's on me FT course ,,,,,.the dreaded Sgt Lunnon, always identifiable by the grey spot on the back of his head.....

BJW

Corporal
Caught the trolley bus to Newcastle CIO in March 76 and used the quill to put my monicker on the parchment. Got one of those new fangled deisel train thingy's that took about a month to get to Newark, by which time the £7.00 advance of pay had a bit of a hole in it. Never mind, only had to wait a fortnight for the next £14 worth of beer tokens.

Happy, happy days..................

Stewie

SAC
I attested at the CIO in George st St Helens on a sunny tuesday afternoon in Sept 76, next thing I knew I was getting off a train with a bunch of other worried looking lads, next stop swinderby, we were one of the first recruits into the new blocks, we had carpets on the floor :raf: spent the next 6 weeks being bawled out for one thing or another and was glad to see the back of it tbh, although in retrospect I wouldnt have missed it for the world.

M

Mordevious

Southampton CIO in 76, then 26 years living in 7x6 rooms, been out 6 years and wondering how I ever got my kit in such a small place, 3 bed house too small hehe.
If anyone remembers me from Swinditz I was the one with a pot on his leg for most of it.
Life's what you made of it, and even playing sandcastles had a good side (if I can find it)

Obi Wan

Sergeant
Snap! Southampton CIO for me too. Although Portsmouth did all the donkey work!

Me to; Left CIO Southampton with the amazing amount of 30 Shillings in me pocket, across to the local Pub (with 4 other Guys ) to celebrate, 4 Weeks later I was Off to Swinderby and was met by Cpl Knocker Ward after that my 23 Years just seemed to fly by, Been out 15 years now but it all seems just like yesterday. but I would do it all again. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

firestorm

Warrant Officer
Wednesday 4th Feb '86. Getting the coach from Liverpool over to Swinderby. It was a cold day and there was snow over in Lincs. I remember getting off the coach, trudging throught the snow as a fresh faced 17 year old thinking, "WTF am I doing here!?"
Still, no regrets.:pDT_Xtremez_14: