• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How proud would you be ?

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It could be possible that if someone did want to further themselves in the catering business but can't afford to go through the usual route of higher education, they may be able to gain this qualification and use it to enter a line of employment which will take this and allow them to then go further. Quite a few companies offer further training with recognised qualifications through work, but you need to be in work to gain it.

The idea that Macdonalds is unhealthy and is greatly effecting the obesity rate of todays youth is clouding the issue of the qualification which is available.

The idea? It's more than that.
As for 'clouding the issue' that's a bit like saying you'd give certificates to hit-men if they're good enough!

Here's how the American public are misled:
http://www.newstarget.com/022453.html
We are being led down the same route.

Last edited:

laboratoryqueen

Dr Midget Midgetson
The idea? It's more than that.
As for 'clouding the issue' that's a bit like saying you'd give certificates to hit-men if they're good enough!

The qualification is nothing to do with showing they can flip a burger, badly pack a big mac of put too much salt on the fries.

It is a qualification in management. Something which will be physical proof that the holder of the certificate has made a decision to try and further themselves, taken time out to complete the course and is qualified to be in charge of a team of people and to supervise a workplace and work force.

Yes Maccy D's is unhealthy, a big mac is 2000 calories so it's not what you'd want as part of your diet, certainly not on a regular basis. With holding this in mind, keeing this idea in other words, which is over shadowing the fact that people can use in job training to gain a higher qualification which can be recognised elsewhere.

I personally don't like Macdonalds, give me a salad over a big mac anyday same goes for my kids, but my personal view of what macdonalds serves doesn't take away the fact that they are giving their employees a step up in life with their qualification prospects.

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
I don't actually know of anyone that ever eats at places like that. Most of the people I know, know how to eat properly. If it did spread and everybody stopped eating there, yes they would go out of business. Great. Applause all round. Only then may we manage to get our younger generation eating sensibly. I honestly think that this proposed certificate will be meaningless to any responsible employer.

Great, they can flip a burger. If they want to be chefs, take the proper training route for a chef - not the half-a55ed route that's being proposed. It only helps to further demean the A-level.

There is more to McD's than just flipping a burger have you ever worked there?
No, many people are commenting on something they have little or no knowledge about. If the qualification teaches you about food hygiene, restaurant management etc then gets your foot in the door for further training then where is the problem.

So you are also going to tell us you have never been to the chippy, had a doner kebab, had a pie at a footy match, greasy spoon breakfast, all these are as unhealthy if not more so than McD's but because they are in the public eye they get the bad press. People are not dragged into the fast food restaurants so the aim should be on education on healthy eating from an early age, portion control, balanced diet etc.

That however is a separate issue and I think they should be applauded for promoting further educational projects. If it was a choice between my kids sponging off me during further education, being unemployed etc then i see nothing wrong with them learning about a proper work ethos, team work and earning a wage and gaining qualifications to boot.

Yes Maccy D's is unhealthy, a big mac is 2000 calories

Totally inaccurate figures like this dont help either the real figure is actually about 500 calories not brilliant but no where near 2000

Last edited:

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
There is more dignity in doing a days graft no matter who for than sitting at home on the rock and roll.
Absolutely right on Pie. If my world fell apart right now I wouldn't think twice before applying to McD for a job. It's close to home and it will start paying my bills while I look at ALL my options. I'd also like to add that I doubt B&Q give you cheap burgers
I don't actually know of anyone that ever eats at places like that. Most of the people I know, know how to eat properly. If it did spread and everybody stopped eating there, yes they would go out of business. Great. Applause all round. Only then may we manage to get our younger generation eating sensibly. I honestly think that this proposed certificate will be meaningless to any responsible employer.

Great, they can flip a burger. If they want to be chefs, take the proper training route for a chef - not the half-a55ed route that's being proposed. It only helps to further demean the A-level.
I go there occasionally, I have a middle age spread but I wouldn't call myself fat (sod off ladf, before you start !) McD aren't the worst offender, how about MSG heavy Chinese and indian take aways ? Most of the kids I see in Mcd's when I go there are eating the fruit bag or salad. SB jnr actually prefers the fruit he doesn't like their chips. Then again, he is a 6 year old who can say no to sweets :pDT_Xtremez_17: Honestly !

laboratoryqueen

Dr Midget Midgetson
There is more to McD's than just flipping a burger have you ever worked there?
No, many people are commenting on something they have little or no knowledge about. If the qualification teaches you about food hygiene, restaurant management etc then gets your foot in the door for further training then where is the problem.

So you are also going to tell us you have never been to the chippy, had a doner kebab, had a pie at a footy match, greasy spoon breakfast, all these are as unhealthy if not more so than McD's but because they are in the public eye they get the bad press. People are not dragged into the fast food restaurants so the aim should be on education on healthy eating from an early age, portion control, balanced diet etc.

That however is a separate issue and I think they should be applauded for promoting further educational projects. If it was a choice between my kids sponging off me during further education, being unemployed etc then i see nothing wrong with them learning about a proper work ethos, team work and earning a wage and gaining qualifications to boot.

Totally inaccurate figures like this dont help either the real figure is actually about 500 calories not brilliant but no where near 2000

Sorry dear, on the big mac box it states the calorie content and the figure is 2000 calories.

Edited to say, just checked on the big mac box, yes I had one saturday after a long shift at work, It's 2000 for the big mac meal.

Last edited:

TrenchardsLoveSock

Flight Sergeant

I think it's a good idea and the management qual is about more than just flipping a burger. On top of the teamwork ethos they foster (no bad thing for the yoof to learn) you've got to admit that the managers earn their wage.

We've all seen the pond-life at the tills that the manager has to work with, so all credit to him if he can run a successful "restaurant" with these people as a work-force. I'd guess it is harder than keeping a franchise running that is staffed entirely by motivated, hard working bods who are fighting for a job there. They deserve credit just for keeping the kids off their mobiles long enough to serve someone!

As for the qual lacking credibility because of the product leads to obesity and the collapse of society as we know it: b0ll0x. It would be like me going for a job at an airport an being told my quals don't count because my previous employer drops bombs on people.

Read the article, the course isn't about burger flipping and IMHO is going to be worth more than the ones offered to the FlyBe cabin crew.

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
If it meant that I could put food on the table for my kids, I'd work there without thinking twice. It may not be the most challenging job in the world (I don't know, never having worked for them), but it's a job. If the company then chooses to offer recognised qualifications then so much the better. Not everyone can be an engineer, pilot, brain surgeon or a Pers Admin!!