• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hopefully a new career

Hello people, I hope everyone is well I’m just looking for some advice i have my AST next Tuesday and I’ve applied for a driver , I would like to know what kind of pass mark i would need to achieve this please, i forgot to state that I’m 44 so it’s been a very long time since I’ve done any kind of stuff.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Doesn’t matter if you know the score or not, you get what you get and it’s either enough or isn’t, saying that the Driver score isn’t the highest which is a double edged sword as it can be the only option for some so the vacancies tend to get filled quite quickly.

Good luck, try to relax during the test but not too much.

Doesn’t matter if you know the score or not, you get what you get and it’s either enough or isn’t, saying that the Driver score isn’t the highest which is a double edged sword as it can be the only option for some so the vacancies tend to get filled quite quickly.

Good luck, try to relax during the test but not too much.
Thanks for the advice, just worried that’s all as I’m considering giving up working on the railways to do this as it’s something that’s ive always fancied doing and I don’t want to fail.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
44? What’s the upper age for application these days then?

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Depends on what trade you want to do 😂 but some of them are up to 47.

Good luck mate. But remember that the RAF has changed since days of yore. Enjoy it, get what you need from it and have an escape plan just in case. There are opportunities there if you can break through the ever-burgoning beauracracy with Standard Learning Credits (up to £175 a year) /Enhanced Learning Credits (Up to £2k a year once you have been in for a few) to use. Good luck!

stormwell

LAC
Driver scores from my AST couple of months back.

Group B Score, 50

Verbal Reasoning 2
Numerical Reasoning 2

Those are pretty low, basically revise GCSE level English and Maths and you'll do fine.

Practice the mock AST on the RAF website like crazy and it will help alot with the test, also recommend reading the question thoroughly (some of the maths ones I slipped up on not reading it right).

My other advice is make sure you can pass the Pre-Joining Fitness Test before you do the interview, that's what stopping me from moving forwards with my own application.

Driver scores from my AST couple of months back.

Group B Score, 50

Verbal Reasoning 2
Numerical Reasoning 2

Those are pretty low, basically revise GCSE level English and Maths and you'll do fine.

Practice the mock AST on the RAF website like crazy and it will help alot with the test, also recommend reading the question thoroughly (some of the maths ones I slipped up on not reading it right).

My other advice is make sure you can pass the Pre-Joining Fitness Test before you do the interview, that's what stopping me from moving forwards with my own application.
Thanks mate 👍🏻

Good luck mate. But remember that the RAF has changed since days of yore. Enjoy it, get what you need from it and have an escape plan just in case. There are opportunities there if you can break through the ever-burgoning beauracracy with Standard Learning Credits (up to £175 a year) /Enhanced Learning Credits (Up to £2k a year once you have been in for a few) to use. Good luck!
Cheers mate , what’s the credits about tho ?

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Cheers mate , what’s the credits about tho ?
You will find out when you get in. Don't worry about it at all. You can go to your Education Centre and ask about this. Any educational course you want to do (must be for Service Need and usually A-Level/NVQ Level 3 +. Basically money for education if you want it. Mind you it depends on how helpful the Civil Service (CS) running the department is also!!!! Just concentrate on your fitness, basic and trade training and let yourself settle into your 1st unit for a year before thinking about this stuff.

You will find out when you get in. Don't worry about it at all. You can go to your Education Centre and ask about this. Any educational course you want to do (must be for Service Need and usually A-Level/NVQ Level 3 +. Basically money for education if you want it. Mind you it depends on how helpful the Civil Service (CS) running the department is also!!!! Just concentrate on your fitness, basic and trade training and let yourself settle into your 1st unit for a year before thinking about this stuff.
cheers mate, hopefully my age don’t let me down 😂😂😂

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Do love a big SAC 😂😂😂
It's a rank in the RAF and the busiest where you simply do as you're told eventually earning peoples trust to work independently to a small degree.

AC (Aircraftsman - Attained on passing Basic Training), LAC (Leading Aircraftsman - Passed Trade training), SAC (Senior Aircraftsman (12 months minimum from joining up along with passing relevant extra training known as TATs (Trade Ability Tests) and not being a total admin vortex.

Edit - This was the case over 2 decades ago for me so probably changed a lot since.

It's a rank in the RAF and the busiest where you simply do as you're told eventually earning peoples trust to work independently to a small degree.

AC (Aircraftsman - Attained on passing Basic Training), LAC (Leading Aircraftsman - Passed Trade training), SAC (Senior Aircraftsman (12 months minimum from joining up along with passing relevant extra training known as TATs (Trade Ability Tests) and not being a total admin vortex.

Edit - This was the case over 2 decades ago for me so probably changed a lot since.
Thanks for the clarification 👍🏻

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Na if I’m going to do it I’m going all in .👍🏻
Then go for it.👍🏻

There's plenty of info on here as well as official sources and I'm pretty sure that if you ask questions, you'll get answers...not always the ones you want but answers none the less 😆.

Welcome to E-Goat, fire away 👍🏻