• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Homeless ex-service?

The number of displaced and homeless ex-service personnel on the streets is a national disgrace. I picked this up from my sister's Facebook page. I don't know if it's on the level or just a spiteful con and it's too late to call this evening, but if anyone knows someone in need pass it on, and please report back as to what happened:

"Davey Russell

September 16 at 4:53pm ·

I'm reposting this, please share

I own an estate's agency call Belle Vue Estates based in Low Fell Gateshead Tyne and Wear. I have a number of empty properties ...in the North East, any ex service personnel living on the streets or need a roof over there heads please contact me asap and you can have the keys with no fees. 0191 4913940
0191 4913940. enquiries@bellevueestates.co.uk I will also help sort Housing benefit etc. Let's get them off the streets. Please like / comment and get this message to as many people possible many thanks."

Kryten

Warrant Officer
It amazes me that this country can't look after the people responsible for its protection, yet will bend over backwards to help people from overseas trying to get in.....

briggfairy

Sergeant
This is a great offer from the company whilst helping them get free advertising on social media so its a win-win situation all around.

That said I'm not too sure how much of a problem homeless ex servicemen is, after all despite what the daily mail says service leavers do get priority on council housing, if the ex serviceman becomes homeless through drug addiction / alcoholism should they be treated any differently to any other addict?

no doubt I'll get some incoming for asking that but is an ex squaddie junkie any more deserving of help than any other junkie? and if so why?

Kryten

Warrant Officer
This is a great offer from the company whilst helping them get free advertising on social media so its a win-win situation all around.

That said I'm not too sure how much of a problem homeless ex servicemen is, after all despite what the daily mail says service leavers do get priority on council housing, if the ex serviceman becomes homeless through drug addiction / alcoholism should they be treated any differently to any other addict?

no doubt I'll get some incoming for asking that but is an ex squaddie junkie any more deserving of help than any other junkie? and if so why?

You raise a fair point - if it were down to me I would give a serviceman priority because I would suspect in most cases his / her addiction may have arisen as a result of something that happened in their Service career - PTSD or some other issue.

I was in London a few years back and happened across a guy who said he was ex-Army, sleeping on one of the bridges near Embankment station. All he said was the he had fallen on bad times since leaving the Army and had no one to turn to. The guy was sat in the corner of a bridge wrapped in this manky old duvet on a cold November night.....so I gave him all the cash I had in my wallet. I hope he got some food - if he blew it on booze or drugs then more fool me....

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Also 10% of the prison population are ex servicemen and a steep rise rise in mental health problems among ex servicemen is only going to make the problems worse.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts

Yes to the point of finding out why they take drugs. Is it to mask underlying problems with mental health. Lots of people with mental health problems self medicate with drugs. Or is it because they like the buzz they get from drug taking if it's the former then they get priority help.

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It amazes me that this country can't look after the people responsible for its protection, yet will bend over backwards to help people from overseas trying to get in.....

It shouldn`t, we`ve had a perverse view of things for generations.

A lot of the Poles in WWII were repatriated to the Russian side of the Iron Curtain from the UK because Uncle Joe wanted them (and not for a nice reason). Where-as those Poles that`d served in the SS were deemed as at risk and settled over here.

G

Gord

A lot of the Poles in WWII were repatriated to the Russian side of the Iron Curtain from the UK because Uncle Joe wanted them (and not for a nice reason). Where-as those Poles that`d served in the SS were deemed as at risk and settled over here.

Make that centuries mate, after every war in which we were involved, following the end of it, which obviously we won, there was immediately an organised booting out of those who had put their lives on the line, actions which among other things led to the need for press gangs to raid local watering holes and the like whenever another fracas erupted somewhere and the powers that be required bodies to fill the ships and I'm sure many who worked the land were volunteered by the landowners to go to the pointy end in the army.

G

Gord

Make that centuries mate, after every war in which we were involved, following the end of it, which obviously we won, there was immediately an organised booting out of those who had put their lives on the line, actions which among other things led to the need for press gangs to raid local watering holes and the like whenever another fracas erupted somewhere and the powers that be required bodies to fill the ships and I'm sure many who worked the land were volunteered by the landowners to go to the pointy end in the army. Prior to that I'm guessing the aforementioned powers that be didn't give a sh!t what happened to those who had come back from a war that the upper shelf arseholes had deemed necessary.