• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Home working and laptops

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Has anyone serving successfully bid for a modnet laptop for home working?

Mulling this over myself and wondering how likely I am to be successful.....

unruly1986

Sergeant
Not individually, but as a team, we have a laptop that can be used for HW if needed. It works well and I tend to get more done at home if I’m honest (apart from what I need to do on the dark side).

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
We must have issued about a hundred for HW in the past 6 months. Most are to execs but what we have done is taken their base unit away from their office and install a docking station instead. That and MODNet iPhones seem to be the flavour of the month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
Yes got one, really makes a difference when doing home visits etc, can update records directly. Saves loads of time and if I fancy working from home I just do it.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Yes got one, really makes a difference when doing home visits etc, can update records directly. Saves loads of time and if I fancy working from home I just do it.

Did you have any difficulty getting it approved by C4I or your CoC mate?

mad_collie

The Other Mods Made Me Do It
Did you have any difficulty getting it approved by C4I or your CoC mate?

Just tell C4i to give you a laptop, they're a bunch of spineless gorms. As for CoC, Tommo is his CoC.

Sent from my DII laptop, wearing my grundies - at home.

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
Just tell C4i to give you a laptop, they're a bunch of spineless gorms. As for CoC, Tommo is his CoC.

Sent from my DII laptop, wearing my grundies - at home.

Ok none of your lip or I’ll disable your account and force you to speak to the SPOC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
In a strange way I have three bosses covering off the three projects I’m working on, and I think that people’s attitude to working from home reflects them more that it does me.

I’ve got one boss who is purely outputs focused and couldn’t care less whether or not if I was sitting on beach as long as the job got done. Another, more traditional who thinks being in the office 9 - 5 is a reflection of being productive (strong manufacturing background) and the third who thinks it’s a way of bunking off (a bit of a chancer).

Luckily I’m big enough and ugly enough to do what I think is the right thing and roughly spend about a third of the time in my core office, a third at home, a third at on site visits and a third working whilst traveling, I don’t get overtime for that extra third either. Managing your time and location (consider them both as restrictions and limited assets) correctly let’s you maximize your output.

Working from home can be a great chance to get things done without interruption or distraction, phone calls can be ignored (people know to text or IM me if it’s urgent), with privacy and you get to use the commuting time to do more work or personal shiit if that’s your thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Some people get a real hard on about other people working from home...

I work from home now 99% of the time...I actually only show my face in the office for maybe a few days across the whole year. I get a damn site more done at home and am a hell of a lot more productive as well...

It's difficult however when the long haired dictator is at home, as suddenly in her mind, her trivia becomes more important than the job I'm paid to do.

Working from home is the future!

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I had to submit a business case to a board at BAE to gain permission and the requisite IT to support working form home...so I jumped through the hoops and got it all lined up. First time I did it I felt like I was breaking the rules! Rolling out of bed at 0745 to switch on the laptop at 0800...still in my elasticated waist band lounge pants...Not driving the road of death to Barrow stating at 0630. It made such a huge difference to my physical well-being reducing the mileage per week and therefore my morale...The job began to feel less like a prison sentence and the reduction in [busy] office time and all its distractions allowed me put more quality into whatever I worked on.

Plus no more trap 2 for a quick hand shandy...You could just go for it in the comfort, security and privacy of your own home...

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Some people get a real hard on about other people working from home...

I work from home now 99% of the time...I actually only show my face in the office for maybe a few days across the whole year. I get a damn site more done at home and am a hell of a lot more productive as well...

It's difficult however when the long haired dictator is at home, as suddenly in her mind, her trivia becomes more important than the job I'm paid to do.

Working from home is the future!

Absolutely spot on.
Technology today means you can be just as effective at home as you can in the office (although it still makes me laugh at some of the more decrepit and fossilised members of our office mafia who still get frightened when asked to set up a video conference ).

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Absolutely spot on. Technology today means you can be just as effective at home as you can in the office (although it still makes me laugh at some of the more decrepit and fossilised members of our office mafia who still get frightened when asked to set up a video conference ).
I did an access to HE over 12 years ago and one of the projects I wrote about was home working and how it would be the next big thing. I found out about workers operating mini call centres in the outer Scottish islands. It was ideally suited to women with children who could drop their kids off at school and then go back and work. You needed to have the mentally to switch off from your home and go into work mode, so it was best to have a separate work room.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
I did an access to HE over 12 years ago and one of the projects I wrote about was home working and how it would be the next big thing. I found out about workers operating mini call centres in the outer Scottish islands. It was ideally suited to women with children who could drop their kids off at school and then go back and work. You needed to have the mentally to switch off from your home and go into work mode, so it was best to have a separate work room.

Most definately. When i started I used the kitchen table - thats no fun.

Now I have kicked the kids out of the house full time, I have converted the smallest room into a home office - its perfect.

Just me, Radio 6 and my computer. It also means I can manage my own hours as well. Early start, long lunch break with enough time to do any home errands etc and then back to work when the americans wake up and usually finish by 5.30pm (ish). Quality of life has improved massively and home/work balance is fantastic.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Most definately. When i started I used the kitchen table - thats no fun.

Now I have kicked the kids out of the house full time, I have converted the smallest room into a home office - its perfect.

Just me, Radio 6 and my computer. It also means I can manage my own hours as well. Early start, long lunch break with enough time to do any home errands etc and then back to work when the americans wake up and usually finish by 5.30pm (ish). Quality of life has improved massively and home/work balance is fantastic.

Totally agree...but for me the one thing I enjoy is being trusted to be able to work in that environment and not have to be "supervised" or monitored - my boss has actually said to me that as far as he is concerned I could work anywhere there is a wifi signal as long as I get what needs to be done done. You just can't beat that level of trust.