• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Higher payband = more professionalism?

Sammy

SAC
This Single Spine will happen, wait and see in the next few months. I know a WO who is on the inside of this project.

Well I hope that I don't lose out and end up in mark time pay for ages while its implemented. Ill be fuming! I have only just been put up to higher pay!

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Why not? A lot of Chief techs got fcuked over when Pay 2000 was brought in and so did a lot of others...

So whats your reasoning for not marking time while its sorted? well apart from 'I don't want to'?

Sammy

SAC
Why not? A lot of Chief techs got fcuked over when Pay 2000 was brought in and so did a lot of others...

So whats your reasoning for not marking time while its sorted? well apart from 'I don't want to'?

No reasoning, I just don't want to. Who would?

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Its called taking one for the team.... and when it does happen, I bet you'll bleat and moan like hell, rather than think... I've had my moment in the sun, but now I've been found out - ho hum, sh1t happens. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Sammy

SAC
Its called taking one for the team.... and when it does happen, I bet you'll bleat and moan like hell, rather than think... I've had my moment in the sun, but now I've been found out - ho hum, sh1t happens. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Yeah I will moan and bleat. I'll start a thread dedicated to it. :pDT_Xtremez_19:

Last edited:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
When is this single pay spine being brought in?

I can't wait!!!!!

Last edited:

3OCLOCKFINISH

Corporal
I can tell you what I haven't done today - I haven't sat in front of an internet forum foaming at the mouth about something I have no control over, can't change and (and here's the kicker) in the grand scheme of things makes no difference to my life.

It's been said before - and it'll no doubt be said a hundred times again - if you feel that undervalued and overworked compared to us 'feckless, useless, uncaring and lazy' shineys go and earn the mega bucks you keep telling us you can earn out on civvy street - or don't.

But your mistake can make a difference to my life through lost wages.

Why is it when I arrive back on station after a course and go into PSF to arrive back in it is more than likely done in-correctly, even although I specifically remind them to restart my HTD.

Lo and behold one month later and it hasn't been restarted so I pop into PSF again only to be told "oh, SAC Pretty Hair" didn't start it for you.

And that is before food & accomodation charges are brought into the equation.

As someone who was on at least one course a month over the past year I can tell you that the payslip soon gets muddled up.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Well said BB. And I would add that at my present unit the HR staff do a bang up job. They are professional and courteous and helpful ... just the attributes that we need.

The question in the topic is weather the 'promoted' trades are worth the extra money. It is also worth noting that the only 'non-technical' trade to cop this level of heat is the TG17 chaps. You would have to ask yourselves why that is.

I have already mentioned about the QA side of the house and have been backed up by another member. I personally think it is no brainer that you join this system. You already operate process based systems and even JPA is more or less a 'quality' system in that it is accountable. The fact is your HR units would gain efficiency, save manpower, save money, save loads of griping, synchronise processes (verifiably) between MOBs and deployed units and be truly auditable. You just have to put up with some hardship and hassle as processes are implemented. Trust me, you will be a better trade for it.

The 'biggies' for me is that:

1. Your equivalents outside are on nothing like the money yours cpls and above earn.
2. There is widespread belief that the process to get you 'upped' was very much massaged to get the right result. We know you have some pretty crap DWR slots, but nothing like as hard as some others, like techies the TG17 guys tend to be in 'safe' zones, unlike say, Regt and MT drivers on convoy. Furthermore they tend to be in much more comfortable surroundings, such as aircon'd office and HQ (or even hotel) environments, unlike Movers, suppliers, Techies...well almost every one else actually. Now, like I said, I know that is not always the case, but I'm pretty certain that the few that are bad would almost certainly took centre stage during the job analysis.

My own opinion, and I hope this post doesn't come as a 'rant' to you is that you should enjoy your 5 years of high pay band, because unless your trade rapidly and obviously changes it's game plan then I will be frankly stunned if you stay where you are.

Lastly, we had a load of civil servants and a couple of officers visit our unit a few months back. During the forum (after everyone stopped ranting about the TG17 'situation') they started talking of a single spine pay scale. IE one band of pay, with lots more increment points, and dependent on your trade etc, you would enter the 'spine' at a different level. I was quite impressed by this idea especially as I now think that the high/low pay scale system has become so out of shape and divisive.

That would get my vote as I have had no increments in 6 years. Another fcuking anomaly of b@stard pay 2000!:pDT_Xtremez_32:

A1 (not just PSF but the whole of Admin Wg/BSW whatever they are called this week) have been told to adopt the QA processes although the new 100C has not yet been released. 2 IQAs at ISK have already been conducted within this area and several improvements have already been made. Only through adopting the same system as the remainder of our colleagues, and being totally transparent in our procedures, will we be able to counter-act some of the accusations on this and the other anti-TG17 bashing threads. I for one am all for it! It will improve the standard of service that we are there to provide to the staff we should be serving.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
A1 (not just PSF but the whole of Admin Wg/BSW whatever they are called this week) have been told to adopt the QA processes although the new 100C has not yet been released. 2 IQAs at ISK have already been conducted within this area and several improvements have already been made. Only through adopting the same system as the remainder of our colleagues, and being totally transparent in our procedures, will we be able to counter-act some of the accusations on this and the other anti-TG17 bashing threads. I for one am all for it! It will improve the standard of service that we are there to provide to the staff we should be serving.

The latest version of the 100C-10 is viewable (although it says draft) if you go to your station page, click Royal Air Force on the toolbar and select quality. The current version is much the same, all they've done is strip out the Continuous Improvement for the latest version as it has it's own AP. Don't wait, check it out, coming to A1 imminently and not before time. Take it not as a slanging tool but simply a health check to confirm that you are doing what you say you are doing and if not, putting corrective action in place.:pDT_Xtremez_19:

Bignick

Corporal

Better late than never. The sooner the better for TG17 and the wider RAF customer base as far as I'm concerned.

This Single Spine will happen, wait and see in the next few months. I know a WO who is on the inside of this project.

Hope they don't repeat the mistakes of Pay 2000. I know there will be complaints about the entry points of many trades but I I'd like to think they have thought this one through, since, unlike P2000 insisted by the bett report, it is a home grown remedy to a problem.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts

Seconded. We were part of the IQA held down here and strangely enough were one of the better performing sections of the Sqn, with minimal observations! The team thought our practices were totally transparent and very well followed.

I now look forward to being able to QOR someone for not compiling an appraisal correctly, which requires corrective action by myself or one of my staff. And I will.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
QA is not a dirty word.

QA is not a dirty word.

Seconded. We were part of the IQA held down here and strangely enough were one of the better performing sections of the Sqn, with minimal observations! The team thought our practices were totally transparent and very well followed.

I now look forward to being able to QOR someone for not compiling an appraisal correctly, which requires corrective action by myself or one of my staff. And I will.

Having worked on an Engineering Unit I was responsible for authoring and maintaining the day to day admin processes.

From the moment of it's inception the number of compaints against the Admin Staff dropped dramatically as it became possible to identify where the problems were occuring, especially appraisals.

In these days where the majority of admin actions are taken/have some input by the user/line manager a proper QA system will not be something Adminers should be afraid of and should end in a better system for all.

Realist78

Master of my destiny

I would suggest you take this route only after you have tried to get it sorted out by other means (phone call etc) as QOR is not the first resort, more a last! The tit for tat attitude to the quality system has just about died away and it's taken a long time to get where we are, we don't need to adopt the attitude of 'right then, gloves off, I can't wait etc'.

E

El Torro

I'll take your points in turn:

I am a devolved clerk - ie I work on a section rather than in a PSF - and have been since JPA became active. I provide 80% of all the admin requirements of my section.......

Folk's, finally...an admission!!!!

So what you're saying is that you only do 80% of your job!!!

Well crack on, take 80% of the wage packet!!!!!!!!

Sammy

SAC

The remaining 20% is done centrally in PSF by the clerks there! It's not an admission of anything!

And how much of your wage packet can the RAF claim back for you being slightly thicker than a pound of mince?

:pDT_Xtremez_14:

E

El Torro

The remaining 20% is done centrally in PSF by the clerks there! It's not an admission of anything!

Exactly the problem, there never is an "admission" of accountability.

And how much of your wage packet can the RAF claim back for you being slightly thicker than a pound of mince?

:pDT_Xtremez_14:

As much as PSF desire, at their whim, like everything else they do.

Let's be clear, I recognise the good work that our HR do but some of the replies I've seen from a few on here, do nothing to enhance their reputation.

And so it goes on.........

Last edited: