• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Help with viruses

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
Symantec ARE the biggest virus out there, I wouldn't touch their gear with yours mate..... or macafee for that matter :pDT_Xtremez_25:

M

maninthevan

Have had McAfee on my all 3 pcs in my house for about 4 years now... Have never had a single virus in all that time. (Thankfully!!) You can load it onto as many pcs as you like, all for a tenner a month through their MOD Staff programme....

Works a treat........... :pDT_Xtremez_28:

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
Hey vim, when you move later this year if you have any problems you can contact

CodeMonkey Technical Service
Location the Spinning Smatie Camp.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
Have had McAfee on my all 3 pcs in my house for about 4 years now... Have never had a single virus in all that time. (Thankfully!!) You can load it onto as many pcs as you like, all for a tenner a month through their MOD Staff programme....

Works a treat........... :pDT_Xtremez_28:

I've seen the amount mccafee can slow a PC down, it was aweful, although you get it cheap throug the MOD program, ditch it and go for AVG and couple that with ZoneAlarm

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I used to have Mecoffee but it is so slow...always asking you stuff...so I fitted AVG and thats OK...Its keeps finding loads of stuff but then says it can't fix it...Defender was the business though.

I think we got all that virus sh*te when we first plugged in the new tower and was messing around with it...maybe the secuirty got inadvertantly turned down/off...

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
Mcafee, Symantec etc are all pains in the arse. Once they are on they are worse than any virus.

Can't do better than the two free - AVG and Zone Alarm. For Ad crap etc get Defender, again that is free.

M

maninthevan

Mcafee, Symantec etc are all pains in the arse. Once they are on they are worse than any virus.

Can't do better than the two free - AVG and Zone Alarm. For Ad crap etc get Defender, again that is free.

You on commission by any chance mate...?

S'pose you need something to help with the beer prices down there!!!!!!!!!!!!

mad_collie

The Other Mods Made Me Do It
Following on from that, and apologies for hijacking somebodys thread....Does anybody know how to speed up pc performance? Mine is shocking at the moment probably because of all the crap I've been putting on to get rid of viruses. I've uninstalled them but its now taking an age to boot and then accessing programs is like waiting for paint to dry.

Free links would be great, yup i'm tight

Try http://onecare.live.com/site/en-gb/default.htm. There is a registry cleaner & it will take you through a defrag if you need it.

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
I would back everything up I needed ie Pics, Vids, Music Etc and do the old C:/format !!

Load everything back on fresh, first download AVG (free), Zone Alarm (Free) and if you have a gen copy of Windows XP get Defender.

If that doesn;t work - More memory is a good one..

Maninthevan - don't put my name anywhere near the word commision

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts

I use AVG and Zonealarm coupled with Spybot SD. No problems and my computer seems okay. Someone said don't use Teatimer.exe, does that make a speed issue ? It's asks on installing Spybot, I've always said yes.

sausage2

Decorated war hero
Administrator
1000+ Posts
I wish I knew what you lot were talking about. It sounds really important. I've got Norton, Is that any good? I don’t seem to get any viruses, and I've had Norton for about 2 years.

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
I wish I knew what you lot were talking about. It
I'm with you on that one sausage

When I had a problem with mine I gave it to one of the armourers to fix its been fcuking excellent ever since

Heres a picture of it

Last edited:

TrenchardsLoveSock

Flight Sergeant
I've got Norton System Works on mine (2002 I think). Works a treat and I have none of the slow down problems found with the newer versions.

As a bonus, I do a re-format every year and when I register again (with the same details), I get another year free.

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
I've got Norton System Works on mine (2002 I think). Works a treat and I have none of the slow down problems found with the newer versions.

As a bonus, I do a re-format every year and when I register again (with the same details), I get another year free.

Hands on ears..... LALALALALA I'm not listening :pDT_Xtremez_31: Naughty TLS

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I use Zone Alarm Security Suite. Gives you a nails Firewall, Anti-Virus & Spyware Checker. May cost a few bucks to start but the updates are free and the re-subscription is only about $20 per year. Been using it for years and nothing gets through apart from harmless spyware that is easily deleted on scan. Dangerous stuff is just not let in. Takes a wee bit of time to set up ie 'do you want ******* to access the internet' etc, but it is without doubt, the best software I have installed. What price security (it's not a dirty word) :pDT_Xtremez_28:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
All good gen gents...I knew the E-Goat geeks wouldn't let me down...You're all invited around mine if you can read the house number theough your beer bottle bottomed specs so I can kick sand in your faces....

Keep it coming so I don't have to do anything myself....zzzzzzzzzzz