• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Help with Sit-ups

R

Replicant

Hey all!

I've got my Medical and PJFT on the 27th Sept. I can do the press ups no problems, the sit ups I'm having a few issues with. Firstly I am managing about 25 at the moment when putting my feet under the bottom of the sofa. I've been trying to do it with out anything on my feet and i can't even manage one. Now I have a feeling it's because I have skinny legs and a bigger torso. I'm certainly not using my legs under the sofa to pull myself up, I've already checked that one. But I'm concerned that I won't pass because of that. I know with continued practice I will be able to achieve 35 or more, but I'm just concerned on this feet thing.

Can anyone advise me?

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Every fitness test I have ever done, I have always had someone holding my feet in place. I imagine as a form of keeping things consistent. However, don't rest on your laurels and keep training.

D

dozyscopie1

Sit ups

Sit ups

If I remember rightly someone will be holding your feet down when you do the sit ups, been a few years since I did Basic but thats the way they do it for our fitness test every year. I would keep doing them with your feet under the couch.May be wrong here and maybe some Goaters who haved just passed out can tell you more.

There is an app for the iphone called 200 situps. I use it, it gradually builds you up until you can eventually do 200 sit ups in one sitting. I don't go that far though. Quite happy to be able to do 70/80 in one go, more than enough for the fittness test.

Good luck.:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
did my fat test a few weeks ago and was surprised to learn that the sit up test had changed a little. It didn't used to be a problem for PTI's for your partner to put their knees on your feet, now we're briefed they cannot do this. However, they can hold your ankles.

R

Replicant

Well holding the ankles would do. I'm happy with that. That's good news then! Thought I was buggered for a second there! :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Vee2

Corporal
Currently (at least last year!) they PTIs let your partner hold your ankles firmly to the ground.

Things they're currently getting hot on.

- Making sure your head actually goes back down to the mat, some people on my last one were trying to only go down halfway and the FS PTI was telling their partner to discount some of the situps.
- Making sure your hands don't leave your temples. If they spot you trying to give yourself a bit of extra oomph that way, they'll discount those ones.

One last bit of advice from me, the order of the RAFFT is usually (at least at my unit) - run, press-ups, sit-ups. You're told to do best effort. Just remember that by doing your absolute best at the press-ups, you're gonna be using a fair bit of stomach muscles, so if you're borderline pass in the situps, might be worth doing a few less so you can pass the sit ups.

Jarhead

LAC
Just keep training and trying different methods that work for you, a mate of mine swears by doing crunchies instead of doing normal situps then when it comes to the RAFFT he passes every time. Works for him, maybe its something you could try.

R

Replicant

Thanks for all your advice people! I managed 30 last night, which is an improvement and I'll work on my abs for the Irish Padre. :pDT_Xtremez_35:

N

nephilim

https://market.android.com/developer?pub=Rittr+Labs

I
f you have an android phone, these apps are free and I found very helpful!

*edit*

The apps help by giving you set amount of reps to do in a given day, and you do them and improve daily! :)

I am aiming to be able to do 250 press ups, 250 sit ups, 250 squats and 25 pull ups.

Last edited: