• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Haythornthwaite Review of Armed Forces Incentivisation

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
That's a long read. Chairmans opening remarks

"Instead of having the freedom to give their best for the people working with and for them, they feel disempowered by a system that swamps them with rules and process rather than embracing their ideas and initiative. Many feel that promises made are not being kept. In short, people’s expectations and ability, shaped by a world that is changing with unprecedented pace, has moved on. But the way Service personnel are incentivised and managed has not."

Chapter 6 Career management starting at page 84

" 6.10. The current template for a career is so narrowly conceived as to exclude those who do not follow a limited number of patterns of roles. This not only drives a merry-go-round of rapid posting cycles to push as many people as possible through that template, it excludes, almost by definition, any other possibility of achieving the skills and experience that are really needed."

Some good stuff in there but whether any of it happens while I'm still north of the turf, well i'm not optomistic.

As downsizer suggests above, it’s a bit late in the day and the damage has been done. I think it’s fair to say the horse has bolted!!.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Just before I PVR'd my best Sgt PVR'd. He is/was a real loss to the service. Obviously I interviewed him as required and there was nothing that I could offer in any way to even remotely change his mind. There are no "levers" at all!

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
People will always vote with their feet - and in the RAF that happened at Lossie in the late 2000’s when a great deal of techies PVRd in one month. I myself PVRd due to ‘the rules’ meaning I wasnt going to get promoted again within the time I had left