• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harrier delivery to Halton 1992

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Look at all that metal matting. The sappers delight. Memories of rafg harrier force with that stuff.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Blimey that long ago! Some faces on there I recognise, from memory getting through the trees was the difficult bit not much space either side.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
I remember taking a couple of sets of APs from Wittering down to Halton in 1992. We were informed that they intended to use the aircraft for blowdown checks and were going to cut holes in the side of the fuselage so that a nitrogen feed could be sent to the release valve to replace the squib that was used on in-service aircraft. It was an odd feeling at the time to think that one of the very aircraft I'd spent many a shift maintaining to the required standards was consigned to having holes cut in it just so trainees could see the undercarriage emergency lowering in operation. It all makes perfect sense to me now in my current job but back then it seemed like nothing short of sacrilege.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I think the photographer (credit to them) has captured the moment perfectly and the snaps have got that "we can do it" feeling about them.

I wonder how many ex harrier bods doing their fitters courses were chomping at the bit to get involved or actually were involved?

Looks fantastic in those pics. Shame it's not looking as good these days, still looks amazing sitting there on the parade square but could do with a good scrubbing and lick of paint to bring it back to its former glory.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Looks fantastic in those pics. Shame it's not looking as good these days, still looks amazing sitting there on the parade square but could do with a good scrubbing and lick of paint to bring it back to its former glory.

Methinks you could be confusing airframe types?

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
All I can think is on why on earth did we ever need an aircraft you could land on a penny and operate from anywhere? How very silly!