• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Happy New Year and goodbye?????

Firstly, Happy New Year to all, hope you all had a good chrimbo:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Now with the polite stuff out of the way.

With Tranche 2 to be issued soon, has anyone got the low down on how TG9 will fair??

and

If we are hit is anyone going to admit that they will jump??:pDT_Xtremez_15:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
If there is, some people in TG9 are in for a nasty fcuking surprise if they think they can just walk into a well paid job in the aviation industry. WO Comfy Slippers sat pushing paperwork, Flt Sgt Arsekisser who once attended a JetPlan course years ago, or even Sgt cnutroller who has spent so long believing her own press and spent 3 years sitting on 123 Sqn's Ops Desk at RAF Backwaters years ago won't get even looked at. I also know of a FOO Flt Lt Thruster who thought he'd got 'loads' of experience... AT Ops, ASCOT Ops, Flt Cdr job, thought he could walk into a BizJet company.... he's now on the dole. In my job, I meet Ops Managers and Directors from across the industry. They want tangible qualifications and direct provable experience they can use, not just RAF flannel.

I started planning to leave the RAF 4 years before I even put my notice in. That gave me time to look about, see what companies were after, get those courses and qualifications, gain the necessary experience and do some networking.

I was bloody lucky IMHO to get my job...and still think that they employed the wrong person. If you have not planned to exit and are made redundant tomorrow, you've been wasting your time and have shafted yourself and your family.... The aviation industry want people who get results, not just 'a good egg' who plays football and arse kisses the boss.

You have been warned!

(ps- LoveToad....good luck when you start you're new civvy job in 2 weeks time mate)

Last edited:

VP8

LAC
I agree with FOMZ

I left the mob in the 90's when the Salt cuts took force.

I'd prepared for about two years looking at different companys and how they worked. I even got a couple of weeks unpaid work experience in a couple to see if I still liked it whilst on UK leave.

The first company I worked for went bust twice!

I have now been working with the Antonov freighters for the past 15 years and it is hard work, we have a couple of ex mob guys working for us now.

Although I have not got my FAA dispatchers licence I would go for it if you get a chance. Some of the cost can be covered on resettlement grants IIRC.

Good luck

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
They want tangible qualifications and direct provable experience they can use, not just RAF flannel.......................................................................

I started planning to leave the RAF 4 years before I even put my notice in. That gave me time to look about, see what companies were after, get those courses and qualifications, gain the necessary experience and do some networking.............................................................

.......................... If you have not planned to exit and are made redundant tomorrow, you've been wasting your time and have shafted yourself and your family.... The aviation industry want people who get results, not just 'a good egg' who plays football and arse kisses the boss.

Wow, probably some of the most direct resettlement advice posted on the Goat to date and although this is a trade specific forum, what you have said applies to those in every rank and every trade

Just as a comparison, take a look at the recruit forums. The mantra "failing to prepare is preparing to fail" is repeated that often, it should be emblazoned on the foreheads of those wanting to join. It should also be used as the mantra for people who are in their last few years of service.

It still surprises me that people make so much effort to get into the Royal Air Force but make no effort to prepare for life outside of the main gates.

Got to take my hat off to you FOMz for making sure were fully armed for civvy street.

TW

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
Transferable skills. Civvy bosses have no concept of what the Services do on a 'day to day' basis, let alone in an emergency. I swear a lot think that it's National Service square-bashing all the time.

I had quite a heated conversation with someone once about this sort of thing, and I challenged them to get their department up and running at an unknown location 000's of miles away. They would have to deliver the goods within 2 weeks, what would they need to do, personnel, equipment, transport, ... , etc. End of discussion as they went off in a fcukin' huff.

opsgeek

IC Tea's and Key's
Yes I would jump! Wouldn't stay within the aviation industry though, got fingers in other pies!

General Slim

Minor - Under16
If there is, some people in TG9 are in for a nasty fcuking surprise if they think they can just walk into a well paid job in the aviation industry. WO Comfy Slippers sat pushing paperwork, Flt Sgt Arsekisser who once attended a JetPlan course years ago, or even Sgt cnutroller who has spent so long believing her own press and spent 3 years sitting on 123 Sqn's Ops Desk at RAF Backwaters years ago won't get even looked at. I also know of a FOO Flt Lt Thruster who thought he'd got 'loads' of experience... AT Ops, ASCOT Ops, Flt Cdr job, thought he could walk into a BizJet company.... he's now on the dole. In my job, I meet Ops Managers and Directors from across the industry. They want tangible qualifications and direct provable experience they can use, not just RAF flannel.

I started planning to leave the RAF 4 years before I even put my notice in. That gave me time to look about, see what companies were after, get those courses and qualifications, gain the necessary experience and do some networking.

I was bloody lucky IMHO to get my job...and still think that they employed the wrong person. If you have not planned to exit and are made redundant tomorrow, you've been wasting your time and have shafted yourself and your family.... The aviation industry want people who get results, not just 'a good egg' who plays football and arse kisses the boss.

You have been warned!

(ps- LoveToad....good luck when you start you're new civvy job in 2 weeks time mate)
Of course you are mainly speaking from the perspective of future civilian employment within the Aviation Industry and bluntly paint a very negative picture of life in civvy street. Whilst one is not blind to the job market prospects one should always take perhaps a more optimistic outlook on being employed on leaving the servivce. I know many HR professionals who tell me that service personnel are valued highly within a competive job market and in some cases are actively head hunted (I am not talking about the senior ranks here !)therefore I for one am not looking at civvy street through rose tinted specs but do regard it as a challenge. Given the fact that some of us who post on this means have had to contend with some serious professional, personal and military problems throuhout our career it gives a great mindset for facing an uncertain future. In short feel free to rant on about how life is bad out in civvy street and how lucky you are (which is good) but not all of us share your pessismistic view on life after the RAF.
hAPPY nEW yEAR.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Of course you are mainly speaking from the perspective of future civilian employment within the Aviation Industry and bluntly paint a very negative picture of life in civvy street. Whilst one is not blind to the job market prospects one should always take perhaps a more optimistic outlook on being employed on leaving the servivce. I know many HR professionals who tell me that service personnel are valued highly within a competive job market and in some cases are actively head hunted (I am not talking about the senior ranks here !)therefore I for one am not looking at civvy street through rose tinted specs but do regard it as a challenge. Given the fact that some of us who post on this means have had to contend with some serious professional, personal and military problems throuhout our career it gives a great mindset for facing an uncertain future. In short feel free to rant on about how life is bad out in civvy street and how lucky you are (which is good) but not all of us share your pessismistic view on life after the RAF.
hAPPY nEW yEAR.

I never once said life was bad in civvy street at all, but I am speaking from a position where I come into contact with these guys regulaly and that is what they are saying. I'm not going to dress it up or make it sound like a bed of roses. Working in the civil avaition industry is a challenge and they want results. So nothing I put in my initial post is incorrect, if you don't believe me, come and spend a week in my shoes; you will soon see how the 'Good egg who plays station football but thats about it' would be quickly found out.

I am really enjoying being out of the RAF tbh, looking back there were certain cloying factors that are just not present now, They see a person who can deliver results, not a rank, then a person. There are a lot of skills you can transfer and there is no denying that, but the fact remains - you can't just expect to walk into a well paid job in Aviation. You need the tangible experience and qualifications.

I'm sure LoveToad will back me up as he has very recently been interviewed and employed.... If I remember rightly he said to me afterwards 'I've just been mentally raped'. The really made sure he could do what he said he could do and had the knowledge and experience he said he had. I think he said they even had him running Jet Plans in the interview to prove he could do it.

As said before on here - Fail to plan... Plan to fail.

the lovetoad

Sergeant
Subscriber
I never once said life was bad in civvy street at all, but I am speaking from a position where I come into contact with these guys regulaly and that is what they are saying. I'm not going to dress it up or make it sound like a bed of roses. Working in the civil avaition industry is a challenge and they want results. So nothing I put in my initial post is incorrect, if you don't believe me, come and spend a week in my shoes; you will soon see how the 'Good egg who plays station football but thats about it' would be quickly found out.

I am really enjoying being out of the RAF tbh, looking back there were certain cloying factors that are just not present now, They see a person who can deliver results, not a rank, then a person. There are a lot of skills you can transfer and there is no denying that, but the fact remains - you can't just expect to walk into a well paid job in Aviation. You need the tangible experience and qualifications.

I'm sure LoveToad will back me up as he has very recently been interviewed and employed.... If I remember rightly he said to me afterwards 'I've just been mentally raped'. The really made sure he could do what he said he could do and had the knowledge and experience he said he had. I think he said they even had him running Jet Plans in the interview to prove he could do it.

As said before on here - Fail to plan... Plan to fail.

Every interview I've had has been a challenge in itself. Getting to the interview stage was hard enough and then there was no doubt they were looking to catch me out in the interview after having dealt with those claiming they are something they clearly were not. They didn't have me running the jetplans but did say at one point they were going to fire up the system to see what I could do, to see my reaction. I still think that despite all the efforts I have put in I have been extremely fortunate and am looking forward to it all !!
I have chatted to quite a few TG9 who are very surprised not only about me leaving but also as to how well I seem to have don (especially from the controller side!). A background in tasking and planning has been my saviour and I have to agree with FOMZ about putting in the preparation.
If TG9 is in the SDSR firing line I wish everyone involved the best of luck!!

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Thanks mate, I couldn't quite remember what we said after your interview, so sorry if I ws putting words in your mouth there.

Good luck for two weeks time... Get that hair grown.

There's still a Schworma waiting btw ;)

D

Deleted member 777

I've heard on the FOMvine that TG9 is not in the firing line for redundancies.... So all you people out there who were hoping to get it...... Think again!

FOMz

Warrant Officer
I know of a certain TG9 Cpl at ScATCC who was certain that he would be in the frame for redundancy (the chopper), I hear he is the subject of much ridicule today after gobbing off about it for the last 2 weeks.

B

BananasBananas

No redundancies is excellent news! Let's hope the next sensible step is to bin the ridiculous idea of merging TG9 and 12. The new AOBM is not as keen on the idea as 'Ginge' was so, fingers crossed.

the lovetoad

Sergeant
Subscriber
I know of a certain TG9 Cpl at ScATCC who was certain that he would be in the frame for redundancy (the chopper), I hear he is the subject of much ridicule today after gobbing off about it for the last 2 weeks.

He can still PVR if he feels so strongly about it!! Let's see if he's got the balls to back up all the gobbing off :pDT_Xtremez_30: