• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Handing back rank

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
We were having a hypothetical conversation at work the other day...

Can you hand "rank" back? You hear plenty of times, "if you want to be one of the lads, hand back your tapes/third/Chf/FS/etc", but can it be done? Is there a process to do it? Know anyone who has? Urban Myth?

I know plenty of people who have been reduced in rank for disciplinary reasons or refused promotion for personal reasons but in 25+ years never heard of someone do it voluntarily....

Past Engineering

Sergeant
Subscriber
Don't know whether it is/was written down anywhere, but within half an hour of being promoted to Cpl I was constantly being 'spoken to' by the Flt Sgt about doing things the way the Sqd always did things, his response to the question: 'is this the way it goes from now on', his reply was 'yes I expect you to set an example', I went back to the boss, handed back my tapes put on the J/T tabs and went back to work. Several hours later I was summoned back and told I could not give back what I had not accepted, apparently I signed the paperwork in the wrong block (I had refused my promotion, apparently), anyway words were had, paperwork correctly completed and tapes put back on, had no issues with Flt Sgt again.

Robby

Corporal
Topic Drift

Topic Drift

Not wishing to drift too far but didn't Leonard Cheshire get Demoted/Hand back rank to become OC 617 Sqn late in the war? He was a Group Captain Possibly Air Cdr and was a Wg Cdr on 617? Nothing like a precedent!

Sorry if this drifted too far!

LAC
You can relinquish rank even once substantive. Sgt firefighter did that not that long ago. (Probs, seven yrs ago) Didn’t like the job as a Sgt and went back to JNCO, like promotion it came with a posting. He did subsequently get picked up again but was some time later.