• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Halton to Close

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Spent a long time there, but if it's got to close it's go to close. Make something better.

Of the three services, we should be the most immune to this nostalgia bull**** and look forwards instead of back.

G

Gord

Spent a long time there, but if it's got to close it's go to close. Make something better.

Of the three services, we should be the most immune to this nostalgia bull**** and look forwards instead of back.

Bite yer tongue, I'm 70 yrs old, I don't want to look forward to a future that might involve nappies and and nasty things being shoved into orifices that were never intended to be probed.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
I remember seeing a documentary a year or two ago about foriegn officers coming to the UK for training at Sandhurst/Sleaford tech and Shrivenham. They paid a visit to ACS and RTS and an Airship that was with the tour was asking about peoples thoughts about combining Zob and airman training, so that they are exposed to each other earlier to try and break down perceived barrriers and make them work together better... the comments were a bit of a surprise. If I rememeber correctly, the baby zobs didn't want it but the airman did...

Maybe this is a follow on from that?

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I remember seeing a documentary a year or two ago about foriegn officers coming to the UK for training at Sandhurst/Sleaford tech and Shrivenham. They paid a visit to ACS and RTS and an Airship that was with the tour was asking about peoples thoughts about combining Zob and airman training, so that they are exposed to each other earlier to try and break down perceived barrriers and make them work together better... the comments were a bit of a surprise. If I rememeber correctly, the baby zobs didn't want it but the airman did...

I wonder who was coached to say what?

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts

That is possibly because in RTS one is treated like a P.O.S. and not to put too fine a point on it, a child. Whereas in Sleaford, a degree of maturity and self control is assumed and if the regime is physically and mentally tougher, you don't get dicked about without any knowledge of why. So, why would you want to live the life of the lowest common denominator?

I've been through both systems - these are the facts folks.

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
That is possibly because in RTS one is treated like a P.O.S. and not to put too fine a point on it, a child. Whereas in Sleaford, a degree of maturity and self control is assumed and if the regime is physically and mentally tougher, you don't get dicked about without any knowledge of why. So, why would you want to live the life of the lowest common denominator?

I've been through both systems - these are the facts folks.

You hit the nail on the head there, I think, although Vim's point about coaching is worth bearing in mind.

:topsy_turvy:

laugemsue

LAC
I know that I was in discussion with an old mate and he said that Cosford was now known as
RAF No.1 School of Trade Training. Something that Halton was always known as.
Another name that has been given to Cosford is: Defense School of Aeronautical Training.
But if Halton is to close then I will be paying a visit as it holds dear memories for me.

G

Gord

I know that I was in discussion with an old mate and he said that Cosford was now known as
RAF No.1 School of Trade Training. Something that Halton was always known as.
Another name that has been given to Cosford is: Defense School of Aeronautical Training.
But if Halton is to close then I will be paying a visit as it holds dear memories for me.

Number One School of "Technical" Training Was the title of RAF Halton, at least that's what it read on the badge on my blazer pocket.:biggrin::biggrin:

he_who_dares_rodney

Flight Sergeant
You could actually combine te first few weeks of basic training.
The foot drill is the same as is the weapon handling.
Then stream them off seperatly as the course goes on.
Cranwell wouldn't be a bad place to pass out off.

Served at both camps and they are both crackers IMHO.

As I understand it there is an aspiration to move RTS to Sleaford, but there'll have to be a hell of a lot of infrastructure work to be done before it's possible.

Contrary to what's been written earlier, there isn't a lot of spare buildings for accommodation at Cranwell, and there would have to be massive investment in other areas such as stores, MT etc.

Contrary to what's been written earlier, there isn't a lot of spare buildings for accommodation at Cranwell, and there would have to be massive investment in other areas such as stores, MT etc.

I heard a rumour that the MOD may have a bit of spare coin at the moment...

Who?

SNCO Odds and Sods
RTS is due to move up to Cranwell in 2018-2020 into new buildings that are going to be built especially for it.

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk

Mag2grid

Corporal
As I understand it there is an aspiration to move RTS to Sleaford, but there'll have to be a hell of a lot of infrastructure work to be done before it's possible.

Not so sure, whilst it wouldnt be ideal you have:

Number 2 mess (as was)
Unused buildings in Number 1 mess. Whilst these are only 2 man rooms they could do the job.

You've also got BB308 which used to house RAD/MASH Flight from OACTU (not sure what its currently being used for).

Would RTS then merge with OACTU to create some kind of Officer, Aircrew and Recruit Training Unit (OACRTU).

Not sure where you mean by No2 Mess
No1 Mess and associated buildings are in full use.
NCA are located in the new block opposite the Sgts Mess
Most if not all of the old blocks in East Camp are in use.

As I hear it a large (potentially susceptible to fire) building is to be knocked down and the new infrastructure is to be built there.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts

As I hear it a large (potentially susceptible to fire) building is to be knocked down and the new infrastructure is to be built there.

No2 Mess are the blocks at the bottom end between the OASC candidates accommodation and the police block

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
Halton to Close

The sooner they knock Trenchard Hall down the better. Last building of its type still standing and costs shed loads in maintenance. Bad design and potential to burn to the ground at short notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ouch

Ouch

Before I left in 2002 this came up in a meeting that I had to attend. As far as I can gather Halton and Cosford were given to the RAF for use by the RAF only. If the camps were not required for use by the RAF then they must be haned back to the families that gifted them in the first place. The caveat being that they be haned back in the same condition that they were given in. All of the buildings built since the original hand over would have to be demolished and all of the original buildings have to be returned to their original state. Not forgetting the amount of landscaping thta would be required. It would cost a small fortune to do if it were true. Then again any bunch of idiots that get rid of the only maritime jet aircraft in the world could and would probably do it.