• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

halton, tips tricks and hints

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jamie.

hey guys me and Nicko are off to Holton next weds (1st Oct)

i was wondering if any of you have any tips or tricks to help make our time that little bit easier?

I'm an ex cadet of 6 years so shoes ironing etc I'm not too bad at.

but as more than half of you been there done that i was wondering if u had any advice or anything at all for us b4 we leave

thank you for any replies :)

Jamie

G

gemarriott

2 golden rules in all training.

keep yours ears open

keep your gob shut

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
hey guys me and Nicko are off to Holton next weds (1st Oct)

i was wondering if any of you have any tips or tricks to help make our time that little bit easier?

I'm an ex cadet of 6 years so shoes ironing etc I'm not too bad at.

but as more than half of you been there done that i was wondering if u had any advice or anything at all for us b4 we leave

thank you for any replies :)

Jamie

Since when did we start ironing shoes???

As Fomz says use the search button and the RAF site has some good tips

Dont try and be a smart ar5e, give everything 100%, as you will get more respect from the DS than if you are a quitter, enjoy it:pDT_Xtremez_30:

G

Gingerburd

Play Nicely, Dont give your instructors any jip, and make the most of your time there.....

Y

Yorkshire_Gal

As already said, keep your gob shut, do as your told and put in 100% on everything and you can't go far wrong.
Good luck!

M

Moz_Magister

I think it's all been said but remember

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Failure can be excused, quitting never.

620jenny620

I would suggest keeping the spacey thing to yourself too.

I

it's-me-isn't-it

i would secound that, there was an ex spacey on my flight and he got so much **** it was unreal. keep stum about anything you did in space cadets ie "that's not how we did it in the cadets" it will tend to get you noticed for the wrong reasons.
other than that have a 100% positive attitude what ever you get asked to do and remember this is only a few weeks and is not the RAF you have joined. it could not be further from it. take everything with a pinch of salt

CTID

SAC

Some how i don't think they will be able to as i am sure the DS will either already know or will find out.

Good luck, enjoy and listen to the advice already given and any you get from the DS after all the DS are there to help you and filter out the quiters from the rest.

620jenny620

As a matter of fact yes. But I quite rightly kept it to myself as although I thought it was great at the time, I look back on it and cringe. I did not tell a soul!

There was quite a few ex spaceys on my flight though and they got the p*ss ripped out of them for it.

The Panther

Corporal
Always try to stand next to a scruffy mong during inspections etc, if possible get a bed space next to said mong as well.

Note, if your a scruffy mong try not to stand next to anyone smarter and less mong-like.

W

Wonky Tonka

Always try to stand next to a scruffy mong during inspections etc, if possible get a bed space next to said mong as well.

Note, if your a scruffy mong try not to stand next to anyone smarter and less mong-like.

Alternatively, you could put the effort in and NOT be a scruffy mong.

It doesn't take much to look after yourself and your kit, and if there are those who are struggling, try the concept of TEAMWORK and maybe help them out.

"..remember this is only a few weeks and is not the RAF you have joined. it could not be further from it. take everything with a pinch of salt"

Whilst recruit training might not be the "norm" of RAF life, it will hopefully instill standards which you will apply throughout the rest of your RAF career. You would do well NOT to treat things with a pinch of salt, as in order to find out what the RAF is like, you must first graduate from RTS.

As has been said before, give it nothing less than 100% in everything that you do, never give up and remember that you are part of a team at the end of the day.

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
So what you are saying is that the DS are biased against ex-spaceys?

I have to say that I cannot imagine any DS being biased against any ex cadet/forces types, why? Because they know how to get stuff done eg: Bulling shoes, ironing etc and therefore will help get the rest up to speed.
Well that's what happened when I went through Swinditz, our DS's asked for those who were ex cadets/forces to assemble on the landing and asked for us to help the others out.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
I wouldn't say they are biased its just that they dont like anyone turning up with the smart a$$ attitude of "been there, done that" which some spaceys have.

I would say they are more an object of riducule than anything else.

One tip though is take a sleeping bag and use that instead of your blankets, that way you can make a $hit hot bedpack and not have to disturb it. Just dont let the DS find your sleeping bag. Put it inside your Civvy bag which you keep in the store-room and NOT I repeat NOT in your locker.

Also don't be a smart a$$ and boast about how clever you are to have a sleeping bag as there is always a snivelling butt kiss recruit who thinks he will earn brownie points by telling the DS.

Bitburger

England 2010 Campaign
1000+ Posts
I wouldn't say they are biased its just that they dont like anyone turning up with the smart a$$ attitude of "been there, done that" which some spaceys have.

I would say they are more an object of riducule than anything else.

One tip though is take a sleeping bag and use that instead of your blankets, that way you can make a $hit hot bedpack and not have to disturb it. Just dont let the DS find your sleeping bag. Put it inside your Civvy bag which you keep in the store-room and NOT I repeat NOT in your locker.

Also don't be a smart a$$ and boast about how clever you are to have a sleeping bag as there is always a snivelling butt kiss recruit who thinks he will earn brownie points by telling the DS.
Not sure, but I don't think they make bed packs any more, against their human rights or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.