• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Going over 120 days - R&R added to PODL?

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Different admin, different outcomes. This is very standard practice. Despite arriving early for my tour on KIPION by 4 days to accommodate a handover, my replacement was not placed upon the JFET until my day 119 which meant that to provide a handover I couldn't leave Th at my estimated EOT date. I asked if I would get R&R and was told no, I asked about it being added to my POL again NO! This situation is not unusual and no-one could give me a reason as to why my replacement was not brought out the week before to accommodate the handover. It was apparent from about a month and a half into my tour that this was going to be the case but I was told to dry my eyes princess. Ultimately I was not overly concerned as it was KIPION but it just shows that there are no hard fast rules of what is not an "entitlement" but something that is provided at COs discretion. Maybe if more COs started awarding those doing over 119 days then the odd extra days people end up doing would stop.

If you went out there with an expected tour length of 119 days or less and did more then its man up time, your not entitled to R+R. If you go out there expecting more than 119 you are due R+R
Interesting.Most assignments I see are for exactly 118 days. So, great, no R+R, dead on.Trouble is, flights (let’s say Mondays only) and a mandated handover of just enough to stop you going back on the same jet / same day will always put you over.If you can prove that your time away will be greater than 118 days at what point does it become ‘expected?’I do so love plans that run day perfect, I mean really, we are the military Swiss clocks have nothing on us.My last effort was 135 days by agreement, no R+R but the section did give me a late start!

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
Interesting debate - niaive I guess but I thought it would be black and white ie if over x days you get r and r or if not possible the entitlement is added upon rtu.

a similar situation scenario:

Individual is sent on 48hr notice ooa and told depolying indefinitely - 2 months in is told it will be over 118 days (about 126) but no opportunity for r and r.

Does the individual acquire extra at the end or again is it man up?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
If you found out on day 100 that you would be doing more days then at this point you now have an expectation to break the limit and you should get the R&R.

If this happens on a regular basis, and it has for years happened to me years ago, then the org is obviously trying to get around the rules, I would try a service complaint to ensure that others aren't treated in a similar way.

The incompetence of managers should impact on those individuals, not the guys doing the hard work and their families.