• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Going over 120 days - R&R added to PODL?

Polkiol

LAC
Just wondering, I will be going over my 120 day det in Afghan by a few days.

Is there any rules on getting a period of R&R added to my PODL?

Or is it a case of unlucky, chin up?

Thanks!

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Unlucky I'm afraid. The "man" gets round it by stating that when the expectation is to do 120 days no RnR. So if you go over by a few days you sh1t out.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Have a read of JSP 760, as my units interpretation of what happens when you exceed 119 days is different to Downsizers!

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
See, this is what fcuks me off about admin, one reads it one way another unit another. No standardisation across the board.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I wonder how 2MT are getting away with that?

Last edited:
The rules are actually quite clear. When you deploy you do so for an expectation of 118 days, if 2MT are authorising R&R then I'm surprised that a 'grown up' hasn't got involved and the Admin staff should be pointing this out.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The rules are actually quite clear. When you deploy you do so for an expectation of 118 days, if 2MT are authorising R&R then I'm surprised that a 'grown up' hasn't got involved and the Admin staff should be pointing this out.

Thats what I thought and was told when I went over....

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Before you all start twisting, remember that Formed Units set their own deployment lengths, which can sometimes be >4 months.

Nobody is twisting anything, cool your jets. As I said previously its dictated by the tour length expectation afaik....

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
No, you implied that a unit was doing something incorrect. They are not, and as their adminer, I take offence to any suggestion that I may be involved in something dodgy.

Most of them come home well within the 4 months, but sometimes someone has to do more, and when they do, they get R&R. If they cant get R&R for whatever reason, then it is added to their POL iaw JSP 760.

Maybe someone from the GR4 Dets may come along and tell you all what they did for their "planned" detachments to Afghan that were considerably more than 118 days...

Last edited:

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
No I didn't. I asked how they were doing it when others were being told they couldn't. I'm still not convinced that if they deployed expecting to do 4 months and went over that they should get rnr. Haven't got the book to hand so it's a moot point at the minute. But you carry on getting defensive if it makes you feel better.

Last edited:

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
"Getting away with that" were your words.

If I send a TG6 SNCO for 5 months, because the next guy cannot get all his promotion courses and PET in, and there is nobody else who can go without seriously breaking harmony, then of course he is entitled to R&R. The reality is that he doesnt get that R&R because there isnt anyone qualified or available to replace him - as he would be the MTO there he needs a replacement, so it gets tagged onto his POL, iaw JSP 760.

Nothing wrong with that in my book. I'd love to only send them for 118 days maximum, but when you are carrying 20% gaps and another 20% have lowered MES and another two are married to each other and therefore have to deconflict by at least 6 months, there aint much scope for that!

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
"Getting away with it" were your words.

FFS. Yes I did, and you are getting away with it because you are deploying people with the expectation to do more than 4 months. Stop being a defensive tw@t.

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
"Getting away with that" were your words.

If I send a TG6 SNCO for 5 months, because the next guy cannot get all his promotion courses and PET in, and there is nobody else who can go without seriously breaking harmony, then of course he is entitled to R&R. The reality is that he doesnt get that R&R because there isnt anyone qualified or available to replace him - as he would be the MTO there he needs a replacement, so it gets tagged onto his POL, iaw JSP 760.

Nothing wrong with that in my book. I'd love to only send them for 118 days maximum, but when you are carrying 20% gaps and another 20% have lowered MES and another two are married to each other and therefore have to deconflict by at least 6 months, there aint much scope for that!

If i`m entitled, i want. I couldn`t give a flying whats-it how hard it might be to organise.

Polkiol

LAC
Still a bit confused.

Still a bit confused.

Yes I expected to do 119 days but it is not my fault that my section in the UK won't send my replacement in time as he has to do 5 day RSOI and a 5 day hand over with me.

I am being disadvantaged through their poor admin.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Then ask "your" section as to what they will offer by way of compensation for failing to replace you in time.

Sounds like someone has ballsed up, whereas my scenario was planned at the outset, with full agreement from the individuals concerned.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
If you went out there with an expected tour length of 119 days or less and did more then its man up time, your not entitled to R+R. If you go out there expecting more than 119 you are due R+R

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
If you went out there with an expected tour length of 119 days or less and did more then its man up time, your not entitled to R+R. If you go out there expecting more than 119 you are due R+R

Do you mean 'expecting' or 'scheduled'?