• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Glossing!

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
I've been redecorating my house over the last few months and I have to say glossing has to be the most awful tedious boring job I have ever spent way too long doing! I hate it. It's not a quick or easy job to get right and it takes so bloody long to prep the areas ready for it.

Any of you boys and girls got ay good tips on it? Or in fact any decorating tips. Dont mix me up with some dizzy blonde, I'm actually quite good at DIY and dont mind doing it... my father is a carpenter so I grew up in a buliding site most of my life with him buying a house... doing it up and moving onto the next. I learnt a thing or two.... however there's always room for new info.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
It can't be said often enough, use a really good brush. Don't buy cheap.

Bignick

Corporal
It can't be said often enough, use a really good brush. Don't buy cheap.

Too true.......and qood quality paint, you gets what you pays for! Worth lightly scuffing the old paint surface with medium grade sandpaper to give something for the new paint to key to. If you are covering old paint with new then you shouldn't need an undercoat IMO.

If the skirting butts up to carpet then either 'unhook' the carpet from the securing hooks or find a way to mask it otherwise, sure as eggs is eggs, you will get paint on it!

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Any of you boys and girls got ay good tips on it? Or in fact any decorating tips. Dont mix me up with some dizzy blonde, I'm actually quite good at DIY and dont mind doing it... my father is a carpenter so I grew up in a buliding site most of my life with him buying a house... doing it up and moving onto the next. I learnt a thing or two.... however there's always room for new info.

It doesn't matter if you are good or not.....IF you can, get someone else to do it for you...either for favours or for cash....saves a lot of mind numbing painting....the only good thing is the fumes :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Then again I am a self confessed lazy bugger...oh well

Crack on..................:pDT_Xtremez_09:

G

grumpyoldb

I use a roller for the emulsion which is a mans job. Then I go down the pub and leave the wife in peace to get on with the gloss. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Key the surface first with sandpaper, then thoroughly clean with sugarsoap (poundland or wilkinsons have the ready mixed sprays) It is ace for cleaning surfaces prior to painting. Make sure you rinse down thoroughly with clean water after cleaning then allow to dry.

Use a damn good brush as there is nothing worse than getting a good finish only to have to pick bits of brush out of it.

Finally for doors, windowsills or other large flat surfaces, invest in a gloss roller, they are quick and give a good finish.

Best of luck. I too hate glossing and for some reason its the job that Mr Sniffer tends to delegate to me. Hmmm funny that!

Last edited:

Shugster

Warrant Officer
Unfortunately gloss is something that you can't rush. Follow the steps correctly and you'll end up with a good finish... rush it in any way and it'll look really bad.

Some older skills / materials take time to use... you just have to grin and bear it I'm afraid.

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
It doesn't matter if you are good or not.....IF you can, get someone else to do it for you...either for favours or for cash....saves a lot of mind numbing painting....the only good thing is the fumes :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Then again I am a self confessed lazy bugger...oh well

Crack on..................:pDT_Xtremez_09:

Ahh if it wasn't for the fact that a few months after buying a new larger house that needed redecorating only to then get posted and need it done quick smart I'd be paying someone to do it room by room. Now I'm just decorating it to rent out so dont want to spend massive amounts on doing it up.

Sniffer... that's great advice. I do usually give the larger surfaces a scrub down with sandpaper and I did see some sugar soap in my little diy store but never knew that was what it is for. Will give that a go.

Have got a really good brush and always tend to buy dulux gloss... mostely because it's always kept it's whiteness where the cheaper ones go yellow very quickly. Will try the gloss roller as well.... thanks for these. :)

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
My Great Uncle strains all the gloss paint he has through an old stocking of my Aunties before he uses it. He reckons it gives a better finish and I have to admit that all the gloss work in his house looks like shiny plastic. He is retired and has little else to do with his time to be honest.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I've spent some time glossing today and I've come to the conclusion that the easiest way to get a perfect finish whilst glossing is to pick up the yellow pages and phone a professional decorator!

I don't have the patience for it...now shoving on emulsion is a different matter!

ERT

Corporal
Buy a Gloss Roller, smaller, softer, faster for doors & flat surfaces...

Available from B&Q.

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
Key the surface first with sandpaper, then thoroughly clean with sugarsoap (poundland or wilkinsons have the ready mixed sprays) It is ace for cleaning surfaces prior to painting. Make sure you rinse down thoroughly with clean water after cleaning then allow to dry.

Use a damn good brush as there is nothing worse than getting a good finish only to have to pick bits of brush out of it.

Finally for doors, windowsills or other large flat surfaces, invest in a gloss roller, they are quick and give a good finish.

Best of luck. I too hate glossing and for some reason its the job that Mr Sniffer tends to delegate to me. Hmmm funny that!

Took your advice on the sugarsoap as I've now moved onto my front room and then it will be the dining room... man that stuff is great. Do you know how many years I've been scalding myself on boiling water and bleach and am still unable to get things as squeeky clean as this stuff can!! Thanks for that.

Kim Wipe

Corporal
We got ours about a year ago and I stripped some gloss off the window ledge. The wood under was immaculate, so I bought a good heat gun (about 20 quid) and after some heating, scraping and sanding got the surfaces down to the origional wood.

Finally stained the lot and it looks incredible. Even to the point now where we just stain all skirting boards and door trim. I would only go back to glossing if it was neccasary or the wood didnt fit.

Give it a try on a window ledge or frame and I'm sure you won't regret it!