• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Girls do an extra 2 weeks at Halton!!!

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
OK I think it's a fairly common theme that most who are already serving think that fitness is an issue within the new guys and also amonsgt the serving ranks...

This is a recruit forum...We built it to allow potential and actual recruits to come here and ask any questions they wish no matter how bone they seem to us...Remember that not all who post in here actually make it so it's not set in stone that the person who has annoyed you with their post/question ever was accepted or progressed...

I'm going to allow the previous two posts as I think they accurately set the tone of feeling amongst many of us about people who can barely do one press-up but no more of these posts please...

Potential recruits....To give you an idea why some of your comments seem astounding, when I went through NCAITC I was inspected before every PT session in my white V-neck, dark blue shorts and white daps...I had glued creases into the clothing and it was pristine...One day a piece of lint must have blown onto my shirt whilst I was stood bolt upright to attention...With the PTI's nose about one inch away from my shoulder he pulled the lint off and showed it to me...I had to squint my eyes up to even see the offending item...

'Cadet Fuego...You are a f*cking disgrace...You are an utter shambles...But I am going to help you improve...Now drop and give me 100'

And 100 he got before speed changing into running kit and going out for a gentle couple of hours of 'Fartlek'...

Last edited:
P

Portcullis

Times change.

Vim, the Army don't wear red coats any more - and France is our friend!

The RAF Fit Test is the lowest standard that you must maintain. It's not a goal. No-one is going to congratulate you for just passing.
The RTS Warrant Officer is 51 years old and gets to level 13+, then does 50 press ups and 50 sit ups......then goes out for a run!

(Admittedly, there are a small number of lardy gut buckets there as well - you know who I mean!):pDT_Xtremez_42:

Physical fitness - you can never do too much. Running = good. Press ups and sit ups = good, cycling and swimming ditto. Wii fit, not so good!

C

Crabbity Ann

My other half recently downloaded the bleeps to his iPod and increased the speed on the treadmill at the appropriate times.

Try googling MST, Interval Training or Bleep test. I am sure you will find something to help.

I have tried practising on the treadmill. I can't remember exactly off the top of my head but for those that don't have the download and/or a gym hall to practice in, it went something like this (as advised by a PTI though he did say the only good way to practice a pleep test is by doing a bleep test for real):

5 minute warm up at moderate jog then start at 8.5 Km/h and increase by 0.5 Km/h every 50 seconds.

PTI also said that that if you're gonna do this it must be on at least level 1 incline to even come near to simulating the resistance of propelling your body by yourself (rather than using the treadmill as a propellant)

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Times change.

Vim, the Army don't wear red coats any more - and France is our friend!

The RAF Fit Test is the lowest standard that you must maintain. It's not a goal. No-one is going to congratulate you for just passing.
The RTS Warrant Officer is 51 years old and gets to level 13+, then does 50 press ups and 50 sit ups......then goes out for a run!

(Admittedly, there are a small number of lardy gut buckets there as well - you know who I mean!):pDT_Xtremez_42:

Physical fitness - you can never do too much. Running = good. Press ups and sit ups = good, cycling and swimming ditto. Wii fit, not so good!

I will never accept this!

Apologies if I sounded a little draconian...Listen up newbies because this is the griff from someone who has spent 5 years of his 23 in training to date...Fitness is an unavoidable part of our lives...Some of us are lucky enough to have the athletic ability of a gazelle and some of us have to work at it...Whichever category you fall in because you have got through the entry level stuff and are now waiting nervously for the day you get off the coach at Halton we think you are capable of coming out the other end of the training system...This does not mean we are going do it all for you...The physical training element of any course if you embrace it and give it your all will pay you back in dividends...Your course commanders will see your improvement, the PTI's will see your effort and you will see in your self some of the confidence you are going to inherit by pulling on a blue uniform begin to form...If you are carrying a bit then you will see it fall off...Suddenly you are looking at the size down in the jeans section and that feels good...You go home on leave and you might just get complimented by people that can tell the change in you and that also isn't too shabby...So if you are waiting then get out and do a bit now...few press-ups/sit-ups a day...walk it everywhere you can and run 2-3 times a week to get your legs used to it...Doesn't have to be a marathon but at least get a sweat on!

Good tips for getting through the Phys Ed at any training establishment...Start with the basics...Make sure that whatever kit we give you to do it in is immaculate...Don't scrimp as there is no point in starting off the lesson on the wrong foot...Put your all into it...The PTI's are rather good at spotting the person who isn't entering into the spirit of things and they will win in that environment I assure you so you might as well dig in and get the most out of it...For the racing snakes amongst you...If I was assessing you on a run I'd be more impressed if you doubled back to the slow guys/girls at the rear and began encouraging them...I probably know that you are a fit lad but what I want to see is if you are a team player...Some of the people on that run with you will be your buddies for the rest of your career and you'll doubless serve OOA with them so start looking after each other now...Slow guys and girls...I probably know that you won't be breaking any world records but if I see you complete the run in the best fashion possible I'll be able to read your face and know you have nothing left and that would do for me...

Hope this helps...

W

Walks1989

just a general question, 7.6 on a bleep test is approx 0.7 miles isnt it and should take around 6.30min ish? does that mean if you can run the 0.7 miles quicker than that in a normal run, in around 5mins then you should be able to pass?
well if you think about it your practically walking for the first 4 levels and it gets quicker and quicker, id practice some interval training if your nervous if you can run though you should be fine but you can never do enough

Last edited:

84scouse

SAC
What happens to those girls who can pass the RAFFT & do the press ups & sit ups with no issue? Admittedly I'm not the best runner, but I'm doing my 2.4km in times varying between 13 & a half-14 mins at the moment after a period away from training. (That's on the road, not the treadmill). So that's getting worked down gradually...

But if we can do the bleep test and the strength exercises without issue do we still have to do the extra two weeks? In terms of the strength exercises I can do (without a break) about 20 press ups (full, not knees down) and 50 sit ups... but with a break in between i can do more still...

Any info appreciated!
Cheers folks :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Therapist

LAC
What happens to those girls who can pass the RAFFT & do the press ups & sit ups with no issue? Admittedly I'm not the best runner, but I'm doing my 2.4km in times varying between 13 & a half-14 mins at the moment after a period away from training. (That's on the road, not the treadmill). So that's getting worked down gradually...

But if we can do the bleep test and the strength exercises without issue do we still have to do the extra two weeks? In terms of the strength exercises I can do (without a break) about 20 press ups (full, not knees down) and 50 sit ups... but with a break in between i can do more still...

Any info appreciated!

You still have to do the Pre conditioning course. But look at it this way, its two extra weeks pay, you get a helping hand with your fitness, and you get a two week jump on the blokes with all military stuff.
So just keep up with your fitness training and your PCC should be a doddle.

84scouse

SAC
You still have to do the Pre conditioning course. But look at it this way, its two extra weeks pay, you get a helping hand with your fitness, and you get a two week jump on the blokes with all military stuff.
So just keep up with your fitness training and your PCC should be a doddle.

nice way of looking at it, Therapist!! Cheers :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Elwood

SAC

Any info appreciated!

Admittedly I have been away from the factory for a couple of years, however I WAS there when the PCC was introduced.

In 2007 RTS experienced a number of 'Pelvic Stress Injuries' (for more, look it up on Google). although this happened to only a small % of the intake (18 in a year - approx 3000 recruits), 17 were female.

There was no apparent analogy between the injury and fitness or body shape or age. We looked into smokers v non-smokers, whether the patient had a high dairy (calcium) intake, but again there was no obvious cause.

Although the Army recruiting course had a similar (some say more robust) they were not reporting any problem, but they were running a PCC, involving a slow introduction to PT, coupled with enforced rest and some team building stuff as well.

Result: When the Girls join the main stream, they were already 2 weeks ahead of the guys in team work, block jobs etc. AND they already had 2 weeks money in their pocket! On top of that, the number of PSI dropped right off.

Lastly, don't take the PCC as a punishment - it's a small price to pay if it means you avoid a painful injury and either 9 months rehab or (at worst) a medical discharge. Believe me, in days to come you would almost kill for 2 weeks of phys and enforced rest.

D

dingo

The Pre-Conditioning Course is off the menu again, so no need to worry about it now!