• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Girls do an extra 2 weeks at Halton!!!

P

PotentialMental

Not sure if Iv posted this in the right section so mods feel free to move. Just thought Id highlight the fact that as of Wed 18th, the girls now have to do an extra 2 weeks fitness at Halton before being joined by the fellas. Apparently this is due to injuries cause by the physical training I believe.

:pDT_Xtremez_42:

Asbach

LAC
Yeah, you're correct. it's because of the amount of injuries that are occuring during RTS. It's a 2 week program to help the female recruits but it will also include the male recruits who fail the Fitness Test on day 3.....

Sammy

SAC
Females to do extra 2 weeks recruit training at Halton

Females to do extra 2 weeks recruit training at Halton

Not sure if this has been mentioned in any other threads, but has anyone heard anything about females now having to do 2 weeks 'pre-conditioning training' at Halton immediately prior to starting recruit training?

I have heard about a young lad who was due to start at Halton in a few weeks time, so gave up his job, but has now been put off until October due to a major re-hash of all of the courses due to this. He now cannot claim jobseekers allowance as he left his job voluntarily!! Lets hope he finds another job! Not the best introduction to the RAF.

What do you all think of this?

chumpzilla

Sergeant
Is this pelvic thingummy a new disorder? What about all the previous girlies that battled through with the lads? Equal Ops? My backside!

K

Krusty_Crab

Not sure if this has been mentioned in any other threads, but has anyone heard anything about females now having to do 2 weeks 'pre-conditioning training' at Halton immediately prior to starting recruit training?

I have heard about a young lad who was due to start at Halton in a few weeks time, so gave up his job, but has now been put off until October due to a major re-hash of all of the courses due to this. He now cannot claim jobseekers allowance as he left his job voluntarily!! Lets hope he finds another job! Not the best introduction to the RAF.

What do you all think of this?
Firstly I'd make an appointment to see my Local MP to ask his/her advice. I'd go back to the AFCO and ask for a letter to take to the Job Centre explaining why you were needing to claim Job Seekers allowance because it wasn't your decision to be temporarily unemployed, and mention to the AFCO that you have an appointment to see your MP!

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Firstly I'd make an appointment to see my Local MP to ask his/her advice. I'd go back to the AFCO and ask for a letter to take to the Job Centre explaining why you were needing to claim Job Seekers allowance because it wasn't your decision to be temporarily unemployed, and mention to the AFCO that you have an appointment to see your MP!

Going to the AFCO and asking for a letter is a good idea...going in all guns blazing talking about MP's appointments first off perhaps isn't...You never know...The AFCO guys might just help you out without being threatened as it doesn't really sound like you've put a foot wrong...

It pays in many cases to be incremental in getting angry at people and systems!

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
My lad has just had his start date put back from May 27 to August 19 and is well and truly ****ed off.

Here's a novel idea - Male and Female recruits do separate Recruit Training.

It used to work in the days of Swinderby and Hereford !!

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I've been told it's because 40 or so females last year have suffered from pelvic injuries during PT!

Sorry - there's got to be a joke in there somewhere.

Girls/PT(I) and pelvic injuries!

Are they certain the injuries were sustained during "official" PT or extra curricular activities!

:pDT_Xtremez_30:

B

Blanche

Where did people hear about girls doing an extra 2 weeks at Halton? I havn't heard anything from my local careers office and I start my basic training soon.

T

thorpy1989

Hello, i am at RAF halton atm and yes its trubout the 2 weeks extra for females however ....females join on an intake and the ones that dont meet the required fitness test levels will be put onto the flight 2 weeks after this is what i am aware of anyway...anyone heard any different??

K

Krusty_Crab

Where did people hear about girls doing an extra 2 weeks at Halton? I havn't heard anything from my local careers office and I start my basic training soon.
Your AFCO won't tell you unless it changes your date, but all females will do an extra 2 weeks from 18 March.

I think this is a good idea, now some real time is allowed to get their fitness sorted. If it means that a few dates are moved around then so be it. In the fullness of time it won't really matter to anyone career path

If you hav,nt notices but the whole fitness attitudes/policy has changed in recent years and now they are getting to grips with this at the start of peoples careers rather than trying to change focils like me who are in the evening of theirs.

what the problem, civies pay good money for this type of gym training
:pDT_Xtremez_14:

R

Rach87

We had a brief on this at PRTC.

The girls arrive 2 weeks before the boys on their intake. So if your date is the 5th June, for example, the boys on the same intake as you will have a start day of 19th June.

You spend the two weeks doing PT twice a day, five times a week, with 'forced rest' after every PT session. To continue on to the 9 week RTS course with the lads you need to get a bleep test score of 5.8 and be able to do 1 pressup. If you fail to meet these standards you go back to the beginning of the 2 weeks conditioning course. Even if you can pass the RAFFT before the 2 weeks though, you still have to do those 2 weeks.

We had a brief on this at PRTC.

The girls arrive 2 weeks before the boys on their intake. So if your date is the 5th June, for example, the boys on the same intake as you will have a start day of 19th June.

You spend the two weeks doing PT twice a day, five times a week, with 'forced rest' after every PT session. To continue on to the 9 week RTS course with the lads you need to get a bleep test score of 5.8 and be able to do 1 pressup. If you fail to meet these standards you go back to the beginning of the 2 weeks conditioning course. Even if you can pass the RAFFT before the 2 weeks though, you still have to do those 2 weeks.

I hope that's a misprint. PT twice a day for 2 weeks and all that is expected is 1 press-up. What the hell happened to the pre-joining fitness test. If you can't do 1 press-up and have no valid medical excuse, you should be shot for being a waste of (presumably a lot of) skin.

R

Rach87

I hope that's a misprint. PT twice a day for 2 weeks and all that is expected is 1 press-up. What the hell happened to the pre-joining fitness test. If you can't do 1 press-up and have no valid medical excuse, you should be shot for being a waste of (presumably a lot of) skin.

No it's not a misprint. I agree that it is far too low an expectation after 2 weeks of phys and what should have been at least 6 weeks of following the fitness programme given to us by the PTIs at PRTC. There were girls at PRTC that couldn't do any pressups that counted though.

I'm disappointed that girls will not be allowed to go max effort on the RAFFT while at RTS. The PTIs have said that they will stop us as soon as we reach the pass mark now. The first time we will get to see how far we can get on it will be at trade training.

Last edited:
Not sure if Iv posted this in the right section so mods feel free to move. Just thought Id highlight the fact that as of Wed 18th, the girls now have to do an extra 2 weeks fitness at Halton before being joined by the fellas. Apparently this is due to injuries cause by the physical training I believe.

:pDT_Xtremez_42:
Has the Political Incorrectness alarm sounded yet? Despite a lower fitness test level, they are giving them extra training to achieve it ?

P

Portcullis

Has the Political Incorrectness alarm sounded yet? Despite a lower fitness test level, they are giving them extra training to achieve it ?

Not political correctness at all.

There is a 5% injury rate for females - not many, but if you were going on a training course (NOT, I hasten to add, operations) and on day 1 the instructor said that for every 100 coming through, at least 5 were going to be injured and have to spend 6 months in pain, but sod it I cannot be @rsed to do anything about it, I think that I would expect you to complain to the press at least!

Oh, and for those who didn't know, of the 100 girls who started the last course, 30 couldn't do a single press up, 65% did not achieve 70% of the RAFFT, yet they need to get in the green before they pass off the Square! Oh the joy of training the modern youth!

T

Trembling Scumbag

Youth of today????

Youth of today????

I only joined up 7 years ago, and distinctly remember being handed a booklet by the AFCO, detailing the sort of fitness level I should attain BEFORE starting my 7 week recruit training. Having read this, I spent the two months before joining up doing 3-5 mile runs, alternating daily with weight training in the local council gym.This enabled me to pass the physical part of RTS comfortably.
I pushed myself to be fit enough to get in, because I had no choice, I was on the dole, and needed to get away from home, surely the people currently looking to join should want to join enough to be able to take some time out from their playstations/nintendos/mega drives, and sort their fitness well before they join??? And should the afco's not be vetting potential recruits in such a way that would lessen the burden on the RTS PTI's and the wider RAF community? i.e dont let fat c@@ts in in the first place??