• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gardening 2009

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Can anyone help me out with my young Maple tree? Planted in early summer in all the right stuff (including bonemeal and small chppings for drainage) in the clay lke Cambridgeshire soil, it initally prospered but lately has picked up white powder and is not growing as I had hoped. It gets irrigated and nitrate fed often still and is not in a shaded area, but I was sort of hoping for more Ooomph.

Any ideas on it's lassitude?

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Can anyone help me out with my young Maple tree? Planted in early summer in all the right stuff (including bonemeal and small chppings for drainage) in the clay lke Cambridgeshire soil, it initally prospered but lately has picked up white powder and is not growing as I had hoped. It gets irrigated and nitrate fed often still and is not in a shaded area, but I was sort of hoping for more Ooomph.

Any ideas on it's lassitude?

Sounds like a touch of mildew if it's got a fine white powdery deposit on the leaves, (purple maples seem more prone to mildew don't know why). The leaves will fall off soon anyway in Autumn when they do collect them up and get rid DO NOT compost them, burning is best. Mildew is a fungal pest that can be treated. Have a look here - http://pluto.nexusbroadband.co.uk/~admin42/Over Wintering-Pest & Diseases.html

A winter spraying of correctly diluted anti-fungal won't do it any harm I used to spray my apple trees with it to stop fungal spores overwintering. Try asking in your local garden centre for gen. TB

Last edited: