• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gardening 2009

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Following on from last years greenfingered thread, I thought I'd kick this off this year...

Whilst in the garden centre the other day I noticed the seed potatoe display...

Can I start chitting now and when can I plant them out? I always thought it was after last frost, but if I chit now, they will be ready to go out way before then.....

Lastly has anybody ever used one of these, I'm after a cheap greenhouse?

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee

Dunno as I'm about as green fingered as a very ungreen fingered person.........however,

Saw a similar type greenhouse in B&Q just before xmas for about half that price.......I thought about getting it to try a bit of green-fingeredness.

Also saw in the Mirror yesterday 3 potato planters and seed pots for just under £15....is this good value and are they any good ? Also was looking at getting a strawberry barrel, any recommendations ?

Grow on................:pDT_Xtremez_09:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
You can start chitting now in indirect light...

I phoned a bloke called Nigel tother week and ordered a load of muck to be delivered yesterday for £30...Imagine my surprise when Nigel turned up in a 5 tonne tipper truck filled to spill with rotted cow muck...I have never seen so much sh1t outside of my place of work...The patch is now 2/3's dug with a solid 6" layer of muck rotting away on top...

Apparently Wilkinsons have got their seed potato's and onion sets in so best dash down before they all go...I'm looking for one type of new, one early main crop and one late main cropper to give me a good spread...Any recomendations?

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
Following on from last years greenfingered thread, I thought I'd kick this off this year...

Can I start chitting now and when can I plant them out? I always thought it was after last frost, but if I chit now, they will be ready to go out way before then.....

We had one of those greenhouses about 4 years ago, suffered from broken zip (replaced no problem) difficult to ventilate. All the joints are made from brittle rigid plastic and eventually (about 14 months) it was well fcuked - you can get them a lot cheaper such as here:-

Greenhouse

Eventually we bought one of these (wish we'd done it sooner rather than later) takes ages to assemble but am well impressed so far it is on its 3rd winter and still looks like new

Norfolk Greenhouses

:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Pentland Javelins did well for me last year...not sure if they are an early/main/late tbh...floury spud mind, not waxy...

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Following on from last years greenfingered thread, I thought I'd kick this off this year... NICE ONE
Can I start chitting now and when can I plant them out?

There's lots of theorys and thoughts on frosts and stuff but traditionally you plant your seed potatoes on Good Friday. Makes sense really by the time they surface the risk of frost is very low so you should be okay.

G

GEM

Start chitting now, they'll be OK to set out before the frosts finish, just remember to keep earthing up and fully covering all the growth till after the risk is past.

Go for a Norfol with poly carb side, well worth the extra. I have a poly carb one which I don't heat and a glass greenhouse which I heat for winter and spring to keep plants frost free. Hu is right about the joints and poly sheets. I had one of those they are ok but buggers to ventilate.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I've researched spuds today and I reckon Pentland Javelins for my earlies (good for disease resistance), desiree for my 1st maincropping and King Teds for my lates...

B&Q are doing two bagfulls for a fiver by the way...

G

GEM

I've researched spuds today and I reckon Pentland Javelins for my earlies (good for disease resistance), desiree for my 1st maincropping and King Teds for my lates...

B&Q are doing two bagfulls for a fiver by the way...

I'd look at something other than King Ted, there are lots of varieties which crop heavier and are more disease resistant, whether they taste as good is hard to say.

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/potatoes1/product/yww5256/1.html

Last edited:

ironside

LAC
I always use Marfona as second earlies and Maris Pipers as the main crop, never been disappointed. I would also scour the small ads in your local rag or free ads kind of thing for a proper greenhouse, I have two now and cost me 50 quid each , much better in the long run

G

GEM

just a reminder to all you veggie growers. Get some lime spread on the plot now and let the weather wash it in. Do it now so it won't interfere with your fertilisers and manure in the spring.

PS, don't put lime where you are putting your spuds.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'm going for some pink fir apple spuds this year...any good?

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
At the request of little miss TB I am going to try baby sweetcorn this year for stir fries and salads etc. Any tips ???

Vushtrri

Sergeant
If you want to know anything about gardening..........just watch one of Kim Wildes programmes.....she has the ability to make thngs grow overnight