• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fruit trees

stingray888

Sergeant
I have 2 apple trees & a plum tree in containers. I plan to keep them in the greenhouse over the winter. Does anybody know how often they need watering in the winter, if at all?

Last edited:

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
I was always led to beleive that containered fruit trees could be planted out any time of year and if planting at this time of year mother nature wil provide the trees needs, unless it is dry (been a while) in which case a good initial soaking. Why are you keeping them in the greenhouse?

G

grumpyoldb

If you intend keeping them in the containers under cover, just be careful not to overwater them, otherwise they will rot. Just keep the soil moderately moist and not wet.

stingray888

Sergeant
Thanks for that. I bought them as small container plants designed to be kept in containers for life. I was told by the garden center that they would need protecting from frost in the winter.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
"Protecting from Frost"

That means wrapping them in Sackcloth or putting bubblewrap screen around them to keep the frost off...not moving them indoors.

I have a potted Japanese Acer and for the past 9 years I have left it out year-round

G

gemarriott

I personally wouldn't water them till you put them out again. Plants need a dormant spell a bit like riggers and sumpies really.

stingray888

Sergeant
Cheers again. They are designed to be grown in greenhouses. I have a large-ish greenhouse (12 by 8ft) but it still gets too hot to keep them in all summer. I,ll try keeping them in this year and see how they go. Maybe water them once in the winter.

G

gemarriott

Cheers again. They are designed to be grown in greenhouses. I have a large-ish greenhouse (12 by 8ft) but it still gets too hot to keep them in all summer. I,ll try keeping them in this year and see how they go. Maybe water them once in the winter.

I would leave the watering till about February if it was me but you should be OK