• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FRI Inbound

Webbo

Sergeant
Lots of talk flying around from meetings that were attended. Main one being FRI for TG1 Cpl / Sgt & Chf Tech (complete opposite personnel being targeted from last FRI). Possibly increase in daily "Techie Pay" as well. Any one else heard similar?

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Lots of talk flying around from meetings that were attended. Main one being FRI for TG1 Cpl / Sgt & Chf Tech (complete opposite personnel being targeted from last FRI). Possibly increase in daily "Techie Pay" as well. Any one else heard similar?
What is FRI?

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
all non pensionable of course.... easy win for the treasury. I know they are offering Sgt's 5 years at the moment, so what criteria do you think will be different from the last one? Retaining newly promoted to stop them from PVRing?

ERT

Corporal
I think removing the 2 year pay freeze for techie trades would be good. I'd also like a pay rise through the AFPRB, as currently outside jobs pay more. Especially as we've reached minimal LOS for the 75/15 EDP!

StickyFingers

Sergeant
I struggle to understand why anyone would stay in after their 22 with a pension waiting for them, a great possibility of a higher paying job and none of the total fucking shit you need to deal with on an almost weekly basis now. That plus the constant pitiful pay rises that's literally making you poorer year on year. Unless you have spunked every penny you have made in the past 2 decades on shiny stuff and don't have a home or have the deposit for one, and the thought of civvy rent is enough to keep you in. That and the free socks I guess.

ERT

Corporal
Why don't I leave? Comfort blanket I guess.

FICTIONAL STORY ~ Each year, another £600 goes onto the annual pension payment. Probably just north of £52k (gross) with all the allowances etc. Could easily leave, but then you'd have to earn £44k + pension to be in the same situation, nevermind the wonderful service from the NHS medical , dental etc. Supp 2, Techie Pay, SSSA, FIA, HTD (Public), GYH(T).... Weekend Warrior, Good old DE&S 👌. Imagine being based at main building (London), a flat I'm wembley, plus the extra £££.

however, in short when the fun stops.. it's time to go!

Last edited:

StickyFingers

Sergeant

FICTIONAL STORY ~ Each year, another £600 goes onto the annual pension payment. Probably just north of £52k (gross) with all the allowances etc. Could easily leave, but then you'd have to earn £44k + pension to be in the same situation, nevermind the wonderful service from the NHS medical , dental etc. Supp 2, Techie Pay, SSSA, FIA, HTD (Public), GYH(T).... Weekend Warrior, Good old DE&S 👌. Imagine being based at main building (London), a flat I'm wembley, plus the extra £££.

however, in short when the fun stops.. it's time to go!
I do remember SSSA and FIA fondly. 🤣

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
Hearing rumours of 23k for a 3 year return of service for Chf Techs, the devil is in the detail though........

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts

Could easily leave, but then you'd have to earn £44k + pension to be in the same situation....

I'm earning more than that now as a C1 in DE&S as last year, they drastically overhauled their pay spines (23/24 TBA). Since then Private Sector (BAe etc) have adjusted but that's too be expected.

Got a good team, manage a couple of Lt's from the senior service inc OJARs etc, get out of the office routinely down the docks and am in a rewarding Safety Delegated role. I have an easy Hybrid working arrangement, working no more than 37hrs a week, doing an MSc for nothing and still have room to grow in terms of pay (C1 / PII / L3 Engineer tops out at £58k), and am looking at applying for promotion when the next internal campaign launches.

In short, I don't regret leaving the warm bosom of the light blue one Iota.

I was half way through a 4 year Cyprus posting when I hit 22. So finished off there and a couple of years at Waddo to sort out my personal affairs and then left and straight to another job. So 26 years in all.

ERT

Corporal
I'm earning more than that now as a C1 in DE&S as last year, they drastically overhauled their pay spines (23/24 TBA). Since then Private Sector (BAe etc) have adjusted but that's too be expected.

Got a good team, manage a couple of Lt's from the senior service inc OJARs etc, get out of the office routinely down the docks and am in a rewarding Safety Delegated role. I have an easy Hybrid working arrangement, working no more than 37hrs a week, doing an MSc for nothing and still have room to grow in terms of pay (C1 / PII / L3 Engineer tops out at £58k), and am looking at applying for promotion when the next internal campaign launches.

In short, I don't regret leaving the warm bosom of the light blue one Iota.
Sounds like the Navy, sod that! Air me for.. you can keep your land and sea 😛

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Sounds like the Navy, sod that! Air me for.. you can keep your land and sea 😛

I may wander back over to Air one day for Tempest / GCAP but otherwise quite happy where I am. Agree on avoiding land though, they are all weird in that domain.

ERT

Corporal
Hearing rumours of 23k for a 3 year return of service for Chf Techs, the devil is in the detail though........

I can see this pushing a few out the doors, especially those that have reached 22 years, and 3 years in rank. I guess they are the ones you need to keep.

The ones that have hung around to 26-28-30 years, they're the ones who might not have a job outside and are staying for promotion/job security/cheap accommodation.

For me, I'm waiting to see what the AFPRB come up with and this FRI. LinkedIn adverts indicate jobs with QC/QA/CMgr skillsets for £54-62k locally.