• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FODded engine....the anecdote lives (warning,It's a bit messy)

Malesu

Corporal
Subscriber
I've seen a lot more photos of this incident.. Not pretty. Also think there's a post already somewhere here.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

XVR RA RA RA

Sergeant
It's quite frightening, just one lapse in concentration as you're walking around and you've stepped somewhere where you shouldn't. By that time it's too late to do anything about it.

If it's real, I'm surprised at the lack of damage on the blades.

Keyser Söze

Corporal

I'm afraid it is very real, there are other photos (much more explicit) which shows the true extent of the damage to the engine and the sad consequences associated.

Keyser Söze

Corporal
ok forgiven lol. I was shown this about 3 years ago I think, I was working on the ramp as an LAE on B737's at the time so it was very relevant, I was also shown the very graphic photo's (not in the public domain) of the incident via my employers

Entropy

Sergeant
It's quite frightening, just one lapse in concentration as you're walking around and you've stepped somewhere where you shouldn't. By that time it's too late to do anything about it.

In the early 90's I remember one Christmas eve seeing the telex that some poor guy walked into the prop of an ATP at LHR.

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
Keyser Soze said:
(not in the public domain)
They were a couple of years ago, "mince" is the word that springs to mind. I'm sure there was a thread and links to the site with images on here somewhere... in fact there are some of them in the link in the OPs 1st post.

Last edited:

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
We are 66% water; the fan nowadays is what? Steel, titanium, carbon fibre... which ever material it'll nom nom nom a watery bipod, I rest my case m'lud.

Last edited:

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Due to their location below wings, many jet engines are prone to FOD. Because of the closeness of the ground they drag their Air from a wider area around their intakes - they are very strong hoovers. (no aircraft is designed to run on the ground)

On the side of many (civil) larger engines there are 1" wide red vertical lines forward of which no-one should go whilst the engines are running or Idling, even with FOD cages fitted.

I used these photos as part of a safety lecture for a while until I changed jobs some five/six years ago. It was the first time I'd seen the effects of "human ingestion" but unfortunately not the first time I'd heard of it - and hence the Red Lines.

Another similar danger is reversing small vehicles (baggage tractors and the like) into working Propellers - which used to be a much worse incident when the tractors didn't have Overhead Safety Bars or cabins.

There are other examples of FOD-ing engines on You-Tube.