• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FMT 600 and your requirement to hold one

Past Engineering

Sergeant
Subscriber
I passed my civvy driving test while at RAF Halton paid for myself, arrived at RAF Scampton where I got my QDB for most vehicles that were available on the OCU, do not remember being given a choice in that either. Early on I was asked if I would take a quick test through MT on a Bedford truck so I could drive the Oxygen wagon and the De-icer truck ( great in winter when all the other guys were outside removing the snow from the Vulcans, nice and cosy), this got me a QDB(H) (HGV on station only), both came in handy over the years on camp. The RAF put me through the RAF St Athan HGV course to gain a HGV licence for Chinook operations, again came in very handy both on and off camp.

The only issue I ever had with MT was after posting to St Athan we set up the remote wing change team, which when deployed used a Artic & trailer for one Airlogs trolley and two wing boxes, an 8 tonner for the second Airlog trolley and other kit/tools and a Sherpa for the troops. On the first deployment in the UK I approached MT for the two HGV’s plus drivers and I was told that I would have to drive the 8 tonner as they could not afford to send three drivers, I argued the toss and lost, have to say I had great fun driving the truck around UK.

The first trip to RAF Bruggen I went to book the vehicles and a driver for the Artic, they told me they would provide the drivers for the 8 tonner as well, I said no way as you would be hoisted on your own petard after their performance over me having to drive it in the UK, more arguments up and down the two chains of command which, guess what, I lost, still overall having a licence in my days was useful and there was some fun to be had as well.

dctyke

Corporal
When I was on 1(f) harriers my secondary duty was mt. All trades had certain pic posts (employment codes) that were annotated mtd, about 10 in number. Every time we got a new lad posted in who wasn’t a driver I would swop pic codes amongst the lads so they ended up in a mtd post and so……… free civvy driving lessons! I was proud to say every non driver got free civvy lessons till they passed and the bean counters never twigged.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
I gave my FMT600 back to the MT section in 2019, when I arrived at a new unit. They told me it was no longer necessary to physically hold an FMT600 because all driver qualifications are now recorded digitally - they took a copy of my driving licence and that was that. Unfortunately, as I hold the grandfather rights to an entire alphabet of driver codes, they now know I can drive almost anything and I'm more liable to get stitched for a driver duty...

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I gave my FMT600 back to the MT section in 2019, when I arrived at a new unit. They told me it was no longer necessary to physically hold an FMT600 because all driver qualifications are now recorded digitally - they took a copy of my driving licence and that was that. Unfortunately, as I hold the grandfather rights to an entire alphabet of driver codes, they now know I can drive almost anything and I'm more liable to get stitched for a driver duty...
More likely to get stitched up to do THEIR JOB!!!...Heard at some units (TG 4 related) that they were there for trade training and licensing only... Another trade that has literally killed itself by being unhelpful and useless!!!

norfolkred1

Sergeant
I was a white card holder on one of the mobile Units. Soon as the lads and lasses came back from Drip field I had to familiarise them with the fleet we had. So we started with the Bedford 4 Tonner left hooker then onto the DAF right hooker followed by the 8 Ton Renault. Non of them dinky toy shoite we passed our Cat 'C' on.