• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FLt Ops Officer - What do/can they actually do?

Securis

LAC
What ho and play nice - new member.

I am currently going through the application process to join up - unfortunately I just missed out on my CBAT for my preferred roles of WSO and ABM but got WSOp rotary.

As such I'm going for what I imagine to be most CBAT c0ck-ups go-to choice and am looking at Flt Ops Officer. However, having done some digging among various threads and websites, I can't find many specifics as to what they do compared to FOA and FOM or what different roles/opportunities are available to them.

I'm aware there's a lot of (for want of a better word) banter with regards to FOOs so feel free to let rip - but also, how much of this banter is grounded? Is it just a bit of a laugh or are FOOs genuinely that redundant and/or incompetent?

For the record I am looking at getting myself on a trip to Shawbury to find out what it's all about a bit more but I would love to hear some non-recruitment driven, honest answers about the role from those who've served or are currently serving.

Also, before those ask - I am also still contemplating the NC Aircrew role; but in an ideal world (and if I'm being honest with myself) I think I want to initially join up commissioned as I'd like the managerial challenge that it would bring and suspect it would be the more suited side to myself.

Thanks in advance!

FOMz

Warrant Officer
First of all.. don't believe the hype on the RAF recruitment website.. I've never seen a FOO do any of that.. and there is no way a FOO would be let anywhere near a Flight Plan ;)

You'll spend your first tour or two on an Ops Desk somewhere (big tip -listen and learn from your FOMs and Cpls.. they have been doing it longer and better than you ever could) You then have the opportunity to go into so many varied support roles across the spectrum, one guy I knew went off to be with the Army for 3 years (eventually transferring across to the Cavalry) another is working with the Navy, some go to NATO posts.. and some remain gathering dust behind an Ops desk.. the world is your lobster. But.. keep an eye on your career after the RAF.. if you want to go into commercial aviation, then maybe sitting on a Typhoon San won't Gibbs you the exposure and experience to go onto that.

Securis

LAC
First of all.. don't believe the hype on the RAF recruitment website.. I've never seen a FOO do any of that.. and there is no way a FOO would be let anywhere near a Flight Plan ;)

You'll spend your first tour or two on an Ops Desk somewhere (big tip -listen and learn from your FOMs and Cpls.. they have been doing it longer and better than you ever could) You then have the opportunity to go into so many varied support roles across the spectrum, one guy I knew went off to be with the Army for 3 years (eventually transferring across to the Cavalry) another is working with the Navy, some go to NATO posts.. and some remain gathering dust behind an Ops desk.. the world is your lobster. But.. keep an eye on your career after the RAF.. if you want to go into commercial aviation, then maybe sitting on a Typhoon San won't Gibbs you the exposure and experience to go onto that.

Thanks for the tips FOMz! Yes I do remember seeing another member posting similar advice elsewhere (though I'll damned if I can name the specific thread).
Again, a question I intend to ask AFCO next week - but what are prospects like in terms of transferring trades? I.e becoming FOO for a few years and then reapplying for WSO/ABM when I feel I have the skillset to pass the required CBAT score (just missed out of my numerical so I feel it's doable)

Whilst saying that - I'm not really the sort of person who likes jumping ship for something better and leaving others in the poo hole, though I get the impression that as a FOO I wouldn't really be doing that to many people. Regardless, if it's not deemed morally acceptable I'm not on board