• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Flare Guns at Dawn

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
No doubt it will be put down to High spirits and the taxpayer will foot the bill.

PraiseBacon

Sergeant
No doubt it will be put down to High spirits and the taxpayer will foot the bill.

I always thought the rule was chequebook vandalism was tolerated . i.e. No real restrictions on an officers behavior - provided he made good any damages, quickly, from his own funds. That is also the basis of the Bullington club IIRC - have a good meal, smash the place up - then pay, in cash, on the night for the damage.

I known a number of 'high jinx' to be quickly settled by the officers concerned, on the understanding it was all part of being a gentleman

It'll be interesting to see if the same applies here - or if the taxpayer is going to have to stump up

And if the taxpayer coughs up - will that set a precedent for airman when their old knackered block burns down and shiny new one has to be built in its place..

on the plus side - flare pistols from kayak's in the pool , made me laugh!!.. Just surprised it wasn't fish heads that did it..

Gnasher

LAC
I always thought the rule was chequebook vandalism was tolerated . i.e. No real restrictions on an officers behavior - provided he made good any damages, quickly, from his own funds. That is also the basis of the Bullington club IIRC - have a good meal, smash the place up - then pay, in cash, on the night for the damage.

I known a number of 'high jinx' to be quickly settled by the officers concerned, on the understanding it was all part of being a gentleman

It'll be interesting to see if the same applies here - or if the taxpayer is going to have to stump up

And if the taxpayer coughs up - will that set a precedent for airman when their old knackered block burns down and shiny new one has to be built in its place..

on the plus side - flare pistols from kayak's in the pool , made me laugh!!.. Just surprised it wasn't fish heads that did it..

That would have to be a fairly big chequebook though, surely!

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Things like this in my view should have CivPol involved straight away so as to not have a "whitewash" internal investigation Army style!

Sniffer

Super Moderator
The HSE should be all over this like a rash. Disconnected fire hoses????

Good luck justifying carrying that risk!

Last edited:

4everAD

Sergeant
That's the trouble with something like this, externally the Army will say how an investigation will be carried out etc. Internally though the officer Corps will think the two involved are legends and the mess needed re-decorating anyway and it wasn't their fault the fire hydrants were turned off etc etc. Criminal charges should be brought against those involved just like they would for junior ranks if they burnt down the Jr mess letting off flare guns.

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
The HSE should be all over this like a rash. Disconnected fire hoses????

Good luck justifying carrying that risk!

So not only do you have massive arson and potential manslaughter charges if done properly (I await a legal expert to tell me correctly).....

Bang on the money!!

Who signed off the RA for that? If there was one?!! I very much doubt it. Surely that would have ranked as a Medium - High risk?????!!!!!!!

Sniffer. I was under the impression as a Building Custodian myself in the past that it was policy to run the taps in all places etc if the building had been vacated for weeks eg. XMAS holidays!!

Can Legionella be caused by neglect i.e. not doing the above????

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Yes thats exactly what would have happened. It was probably excluded from the contract. Fairly sure carillion only do Barrack block rooms not any fire hoses.

I could understand to some degree removing the hoses altogether to exclude the legionella risk but to leave in situ but disconnect is a hazard which could lead to people ar$eing about trying to use the hose to fight the fire instead of getting out of the building.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
I guess that if it had been 'lower ranks' it would have been Courts Marshall on a charge of arson, Conduct Unbecoming, Breach of the Peace, and Heaven only knows what else.

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
We nearly burnt down the Chiltern Club at Halton after booking a topless firebreathing act. It was a bit like phoenix nights when she auditioned but we made the mistake of not getting her to do the act on the stage.

On the night she blew the flames up to through the waffle ceiling tiles which set light to years of dust and scraps of Xmas decs left up there.

Needless to say the JR NAAFI Committee were banned from booking risque acts again.

FootTapper

Sergeant
We nearly burnt down the Chiltern Club at Halton after booking a topless firebreathing act. It was a bit like phoenix nights when she auditioned but we made the mistake of not getting her to do the act on the stage.

On the night she blew the flames up to through the waffle ceiling tiles which set light to years of dust and scraps of Xmas decs left up there.

Needless to say the JR NAAFI Committee were banned from booking risque acts again.

I feel sad to have missed this, it must have been the greatest show ever in the Chiltern Club.