• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fitness test again

PSF Angel

LAC
I am in date the fitness test and pass it with ease but I am getting sick and tired of the stats nazis telling me that I have to do it again because it's out of batch testing dates. I was told tonight that if I don't pass my fitness test tomorrow then I will be subject to MAA.

This is the first I have heard about it and is apparently sqn policy but no-one has been able to point out where it is actually laid down. RAF policy states that I have to be in date and have to take it every 6 months which I do.

I don't want to go to the gym tomorrow and fill out the medical form like everyone else would stating I would like to see a medical officer first but was wondering if anyone knew exactly where I stood if I stood up for myself and refused to take it as I am in date and I'll take it again, and pass it again, when I'm actually due.

I've done it when I've been asked a lot in the past but have just had it up to the back teeth of them chasing the guys who are already fit and not the ones who haven't taken it in 3 years or the ones who have failed and are due retakes. Can they give me MAA for being in date my fitness test?

Rant over.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
Sqn orders cannot contravene RAF policy. If you are in date, you are in date, simple as that.

PSF Angel, I suggest you see their MAA and raise them a Service complaint.

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Sqn orders cannot contravene RAF policy. If you are in date, you are in date, simple as that.

PSF Angel, I suggest you see their MAA and raise them a Service complaint.

They can order PSF Angel to complete the test, what happens when you fail is where RAF policy would have to take precedence.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
OK, I'll give you that. PSF Angel could be ordered to attend the gym and failure to do so should result in disciplinary rather than administrative action. Also, if we're going to get right down in the weeds, you are only as good as your last fitness test so if she were to let her rarely seen (but definitely mile-wide) militant streak out and attempt the test in blues and court shoes she could, feasibly face MAA even though she is in date at present.

But there is a principle at stake here. Somebody is trying to make their own life easier by testing the whole Sqn en bloc. Why should she, or anyone else, have to do any more tests than necessary just because someone else is being lazy?

It's easy for me to say from my little ivory tower but I think PSF Angel should challenge this farce.

PSF Angel

LAC
True blue - you are the greatest. I'm just sick of what amounts to being bullied for being in date just because it's not their date. In fact, I'm a week away from being in their date range but it's not good enough. I'm going to be a man about it and stand up for what's right! Thanks!

KingGuin

Sergeant
RAF wide policy states (with the exception of the dark blue freaks) the majority must be tested 6 monthly. To avoid an en masse appearance on the same days, Units allocated Wgs and Sqns specific test periods. E.g. my Wg has Apr and Oct Expecting to be det in Apr I took mine in the last week of Mar then, when the course was cancelled, was chased by PSF to re take it becuase "everyone had to in Apr". I politely declined, they threatened "MAA", I countered with common sense" and "Service Complaint". I did not retake the test.

In your case you may be subject to MAA for disobeying a direct order but TBJ is correct to state that order may be considered unreasonable. First port of call SD to see if being ordered to take your test whilst in date is a reasonable. Next ask to see the specific Sqn order which I bet you find allocates a month for you take it.

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
I take it that this is the first time in your current place of work that you've been asked to do an out of sequence test?

If it is and you can pass it with ease like you say, just do the test. Then you'll be in sequence with the rest of your section.

PSF Angel

LAC
It's not the first time, which is what has got my back up. The last time I took it a month early so I was in date unit batch testing, now it's changed again!

There are a few guys here who have had to do the fitness test 4 times in a year due to OOA fitness and unit vs sqn batch testing. I am just deciding to not be the person dancing to the tune of whoever is doing the stats this week. It purely a principle thing now!

Last edited:

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
It's not the first time, which is what has got my back up. The last time I took it a month early so I was in date unit batch testing, now it's changed again!

There are a few guys here who have had to do the fitness test 4 times in a year due to OOA fitness and unit vs sqn batch testing. I am just deciding to not be the person dancing to the tune of whoever is doing the stats this week. It purely a principle thing now!

In that case, I agree with you. Tell them to poke off!

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Stand your ground IMO. It's nonsensical, bureaucratic crap like this that sucks the life force out of people, challenge it!

L

Little Tronk

Throw the cat among the pidgeons - do it, fail, then have 3 months of free gym time in work time then pass!

Stakz

LAC
Just do it, then make sure SJAR reports on your positive attitude to fitness by undertaking more testing than required.
Do they chase the people in the blue to do less than the 12 month wait as well?

Good luck, you'll not be the only one with this problem.

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Interesting discussion. You'd hope a SNCO would step up and put the case forward rather than having to stick her neck out like this and risk negative attention.

i wouldnt be so gung ho and risk any type of action. Choose your battles....is this issue really worth it? If it is then fill yer boots.

i'm trying to decide what the point of this policy is...and can come up with nothing other than its convenient to administer....in a section full of administrators! As someone else said, nonsensical policy just gets folks backs up.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
We have batch testing here and, say for example your section takes the test in August but you are due in October (or even 31 Aug), you can take it and fail it every day up to your qualification date or batch testing date, (whichever comes sooner) and no MAA will be raised because you are in date.

Similarly, if your expiry date was 1 Aug and your batch date is Aug, you will not be hounded until 1 Sep, as the directive is that you must take the test in Aug. Obviously in this case if you fail MAA will be taken.

Deserter

LAC
After reading this thread I feel that a few people are giving bad advice! So here is mine!

If, as you say, you are able to complete the test with no problems, then why not take the test. You can have your whinge to the appropriate people afterwards.

It's 15mins of your life. If you stand your ground, as you said you may do, then be prepared for a long battle which you will never win.

This policy may have been set because of some other lazy people that are continually failing to complete their test. You could set an example to them by proving it’s not that difficult. Start encouraging the ones that need it, instead of fighting the system.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :pDT_Xtremez_19:

Realist78

Master of my destiny
After reading this thread I feel that a few people are giving bad advice! So here is mine!

If, as you say, you are able to complete the test with no problems, then why not take the test. You can have your whinge to the appropriate people afterwards.

It's 15mins of your life. If you stand your ground, as you said you may do, then be prepared for a long battle which you will never win.

This policy may have been set because of some other lazy people that are continually failing to complete their test. You could set an example to them by proving it’s not that difficult. Start encouraging the ones that need it, instead of fighting the system.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :pDT_Xtremez_19:

If we don't fight the system when it's right to do so, we might as well roll over and get the dry pineapple daily. It's crap like this that really fecks people off. However, if you're happy to be subservient, then crack on.

Deserter

LAC
If we don't fight the system when it's right to do so, we might as well roll over and get the dry pineapple daily. It's crap like this that really fecks people off. However, if you're happy to be subservient, then crack on.

There are ways of "fighting the system" as you say, that don’t mean you have to stand there and stamp your feet and say I'm not doing that.

As I said - "as you say, you are able to complete the test with no problems, then why not take the test. You can have your whinge to the appropriate people afterwards."

I think you have to look at the bigger picture of why these decisions are made. The fitness test is not that difficult, especially for the ladies (different subject) if you can do it once you can do it twice, if you’re asked to do it every week it should not be a problem. Might even be good for you. After all it's time out of work.

Maybe it's not the system that’s the problem here, but the attitude.

But that’s just my opinion.:pDT_Xtremez_26: