• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Field Gunner Vid

S

shortty

Just to add actually, while i've got your attention :) - what would you say the relationship between the SAC's and the occifers is like, again compared to line infantry units?

Appreciate all your help on this, i'm a little unfamiliar when it comes to the RAF despite being in the ATC many many years ago! and like to know the nature of the devil.

Shortty

Gunnerrock

Corporal
Do you mean NCO's, Officers and OR's all share the same mess, or that all of a base's officers use the same mess?

Info on JROC and pre-para sounds interesting.. :pDT_Xtremez_30: What happens to the officers that fail JROC though? If I understand the process right, they are commissioned by this point, so do they go on to other duties/branches of the RAF, or do they holding troop till they are ready?

Shortty

No, its not a combined mess. Like the Army we have Officers Messes, Sgts Messes and a Junior Ranks Mess/Club. Its also not compulsory to wear red strides in a RAF Mess either.

You are correct in your assumption that Officers who fail JROC are already commissioned. They have to complete IOT at Cranwell, as to what happens to them for failing JROC - It depends on why they came off the course. If through injury and not a chance of passing another course, then its other trades/branches. If it is felt that they have a chance of passing then they get another crack at the whip.

As to SACs/Officers relationships - That would depend on you and your Sgt really. The lads you may find are a good bunch and as a whole are a little more maneuverist that the average Army Pvt.

S

shortty

Do you mean i'm going to look foolish in my red cords and green suede smoking jacket??? I'll save them for The Garrick then...:S

Thanks for that info, the main question i had was the level of distance that it would be expected to keep from the lads. From experience i have found many army inf units keep a definite gap between commissioned and non-commissioned soldiers, where as the non-teeth arms are more friendly. The Royal Marines also seem to have a closer relationship than standard line inf regts do. Just wondered where the Regiment fell in all this.

Ta

Shortty

E

Earl Grey

No, its not a combined mess. Like the Army we have Officers Messes, Sgts Messes and a Junior Ranks Mess/Club. Its also not compulsory to wear red strides in a RAF Mess either.

You are correct in your assumption that Officers who fail JROC are already commissioned. They have to complete IOT at Cranwell, as to what happens to them for failing JROC - It depends on why they came off the course. If through injury and not a chance of passing another course, then its other trades/branches. If it is felt that they have a chance of passing then they get another crack at the whip.

As to SACs/Officers relationships - That would depend on you and your Sgt really. The lads you may find are a good bunch and as a whole are a little more maneuverist that the average Army Pvt.

Wot he said! And apologies for any ambiguity about messing arrangements.....
Do you mean i'm going to look foolish in my red cords and green suede smoking jacket??? I'll save them for The Garrick then...:S

Thanks for that info, the main question i had was the level of distance that it would be expected to keep from the lads. From experience i have found many army inf units keep a definite gap between commissioned and non-commissioned soldiers, where as the non-teeth arms are more friendly. The Royal Marines also seem to have a closer relationship than standard line inf regts do. Just wondered where the Regiment fell in all this.

Ta

Shortty

Definitely up to you and how YOU feel you can get the best from your Gnrs. Just be aware that there's a good possibility that some of your troops will be academically more q'd than you are....assuming you don't have a masters etc.