• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fast track SNCO's

Y

You Can Call Me Al

I've been saying for years that after TTF they should all wander down the road to the Hallowed Halls of CATCS and get a few lessons on the basics of controlling. Then spend a couple of days in the Sims putting it into practice.

After all they are the experts and would be able to grade them for appitude and abiltily for controlling before sending them on to the Stations.

That may work in a few cases, but some of those assessed as unsuitable could well develop the sort of maturity required after a period of time around the bazaars. dont't forget just how green a lot of TTF graduates are - a play with JATCC sims may frighten them witless (it did me!), although a gander round could be useful - WHY ISN'T IT DONE ALREADY fer feck's sake! ::/:

How many 'aptitude failed' peeps have we seen who we are pretty sure would actually make a damn fine controller? Mind you - the opposite also applies!!

Off Topic On a more worrying note - it may appear to the great unwashed that insideouttrouserlegman any I are having a relatively sensible debate. Rest assured, normal service will be resumed....

the lovetoad

Sergeant
Subscriber
Whether they are controllers first SNCO 2nd or vice versa I only have one teeny tiny request...........Keep them and their 4 whole years experience of the RAF away from my F6000............thank you.;):pDT_Xtremez_28:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
That is a interesting point Lovetoad and maybe a new thread all together..........

N

NotAnIDOYet

Or treat them as airmen aircrew and give them a little eagle above their rank so that everyone knows they are not "real" SNCOs!!

Realistically you have to do something to stop PMA recruiting off the street straight to Sgt, get your Trade Sponsor to speak to mine if you want the details of what we did!

T

The Controller

How hard can it be to learn how to scare birds away? You need selection for that??????

Ha! You should see some of the birds that YouCanCallMeAl and I have scared away in our time....failed once though....been married ever since!

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
Or treat them as airmen aircrew and give them a little eagle above their rank so that everyone knows they are not "real" SNCOs!!

Realistically you have to do something to stop PMA recruiting off the street straight to Sgt, get your Trade Sponsor to speak to mine if you want the details of what we did!

They are not going straight to Sgt yet. They are doing a minimum of 2 years as LAC/SAC

Chaka

Sergeant
Chaka on the other hand, still has the negatives, so I won't have a bad word said against him either (until he gives them back!) :pDT_Xtremez_14:

Correct, in fact The FOMz negatives are now available on DVD, PM me for a copy.

Last edited:
F

Frequency Separation

They are not going straight to Sgt yet. They are doing a minimum of 2 years as LAC/SAC

Not true, 10 weeks at Cranwell on Aircrew Training Course, then acting Sgt whilst on JATCC, substansive on graduation.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Ok, whilst this has been dragged up from the archives, I have a question about fast tracked SACs...

Why cant they control with 2 stripes on their shoulders, and then receive time promotion to SNCO after 5 years controlling? That way, they are a bit more savvy when they are SNCOs.

Or is this another example of our JNCOs being treated like SACs....

W

What's the bloody point?

Ok, whilst this has been dragged up from the archives, I have a question about fast tracked SACs...

Why cant they control with 2 stripes on their shoulders, and then receive time promotion to SNCO after 5 years controlling? That way, they are a bit more savvy when they are SNCOs.

Or is this another example of our JNCOs being treated like SACs....

When I was in Canada (yes I know.... YAWN!!!!) they had Cpl PAR controllers. In the most part I would not hand these people a pen to write an autograph but it proved a point. You do not need to be a SNCO to control (and you certainly do not need to be comissioned!)

A similar position exists in the States, only in larger numbers!

Just saying

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Controversial mate.................. but true. Would save a wedge of cash as well......... especially in these austere times.

W

What's the bloody point?

Controversial mate.................. but true. Would save a wedge of cash as well......... especially in these austere times.

Never mind these austere times, what about the economic situation at the moment?

Hadn't thought of that had you!