• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Farewell Albert

Today saw the final flights of the Royal Air Force's C130K better known as Fat Albert, as XV 177 and XV 214 were ferried to St Athan for disposal.

As with most things associated with this remarkable aircraft this has gone largely unnoticed and unreported. The nation (and indeed one could easily say the world) owes a massive debt of gratitude to the aircraft and those who flew in and maintained them.

I have many many happy stories of my days at Lyneham (though I was mostly downroute during my tour). Days of being a Samsonite Warrior and many of digging in not checking in. 'Interesting' flying on Ops and on Red Flag and more 'mundane' routes all around the world.

We should not forget the losses of XV 193 and XV 179 with all on board and the operational losses of recent years where thankfully the crews walked away.

Perhaps I am biased but I reckon the C130K has been the most influential aircraft the RAF has had on inventory since 1945. I would have liked to see more preserved but alas it is not to be.

So as I raise a glass of Scotland's finest, my toast is "Farewell Fat Albert, enjoy your well earned retirement"

Jimps

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
The J will be around a lot longer than current predictions. It took a while to replace the Klassic - a lot longer than it should have, but it's still a Herc.

Fine words Jimps - GE friends of mine on both frames.

Big Jock

SAC
Subscriber
I watched these two a/c do a fly round and land at Saints yesterday. I nearly s**t myself. One of them did a tactical landing, nose down nearly vertical then land, magnificent to watch.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Spent five of the most rewarding years of my career on the K during the 90's. A fleet that never stopped working year in year out and compared to the teeny weeny Harrier the airborne truck was a joy to work on.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I think it's sad, had some good trips because of working with them.....

Keyser Söze

Corporal
The J will be around a lot longer than current predictions. It took a while to replace the Klassic - a lot longer than it should have, but it's still a Herc.

Fine words Jimps - GE friends of mine on both frames.

+1 ...
Aye mine also, raise a glass to their memories, and the laughs we had along the way

Arrrrr cut my teeth on them on Green Team and then A Line on my first tour.
A breeze to work on......unless of course you were sat in the back with a tin of MEK and a scraper trying to get the floor patches off prior to a Minor!
However, many happier memories such as opening the ramp & door whilst fully pressurized on the ground to see how high you could get the fog in the cargo bay.
Also remember fixing a few whilst pax (pongos) on board and really messing with their heads!
Used to drink with the 47 AD guys in the NAAFI though and take their places on Saturday airdrops pushing the loads out over South Cerney!
Plenty of better stories that other goaters have I'm sure!

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Did a few months on Green Team middle of '99 whilst we waited patiently for the J to arrive.

A few characters to say the least!!!!!!

Five years on B line (80-85) as FLM then Sooty. Great times, picking the nearest A/C to the NAAFI to prep then nipping to the pigs bar for a pint. "warming" the O2 bottles in the oven to boost the pressure before the crew arrived rather than walk to the Oxy charging bay...

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
Five years on B line (80-85) as FLM then Sooty. Great times, picking the nearest A/C to the NAAFI to prep then nipping to the pigs bar for a pint. "warming" the O2 bottles in the oven to boost the pressure before the crew arrived rather than walk to the Oxy charging bay...

Top tip there, however I don't think it'll work in our microwaves! Looking forward to the end of era bash next week

I look like Bruce Willis

I Suck Like George Michael
My greatest regret is that I never got to carry out a full Command IQA of the C130K fleet. I've heard some shocking stories about inadequate F700 management over the years.