• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Families sue over Herc deaths

sparks will fly

Corporal
You could see this coming, the MOD were to tight to spend the cash on the foam, if they had those guys may be alive. IMO it smacks duty of care.

R

Rich_P

The firm will issue proceedings in the High Court accusing the MOD of negligence, breach of a duty of care and failing to comply with article 2 of the European convention on human rights - the respect for life.
I think the government doesn't really even know what that means to begin with! :pDT_Xtremez_09:

E

elnino

You could see this coming, the MOD were to tight to spend the cash on the foam, if they had those guys may be alive. IMO it smacks duty of care.

I agree with your point that MOD to tight to spend the money on the foam, but my guess is that the families will have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that they would have survived and the problem there is we all know how good the MOD are at covering things up... Chinook crash in Mull of Kintyre is still being blamed on the crew.

R

Rich_P

So I guess it would go along the lines of...

"If the crew had flown the aircraft one inch to the left, instead of the right, they would not have been killed. Therefore us (the MOD and corrupt Politicians) cannot be held responsible for the deaths."

:pDT_Xtremez_09:

BillyBunter

Techie & Proud
On same note every crew member knows the risks of flying into a war zone that is the nature of the job. People will get shot down and killed.

If foam suppresion had been fitted would it have stopped an Air to Ground missile ?

E

elnino

So I guess it would go along the lines of...

"If the crew had flown the aircraft one inch to the left, instead of the right, they would not have been killed. Therefore us (the MOD and corrupt Politicians) cannot be held responsible for the deaths."

:pDT_Xtremez_09:

Or something similar yeah. At the end of the day, good luck to the families as i hope they get a result one way or another. No amount of money will bring their loved ones back but if as a result some senior politicians and MOD types are found to be negligent then maybe just maybe they will be punnished accordingly, unlikely but i am hopefull:pDT_Xtremez_09:

On same note every crew member knows the risks of flying into a war zone that is the nature of the job. People will get shot down and killed.

If foam suppresion had been fitted would it have stopped an Air to Ground missile ?

As one of the people who used to do just that, I fully accepted the risks involved as part of the job which I volunteered for. However, I did so in the (misguided) view that all was being done to ensure my little pink body returned from sausage side in one piece.

I have no doubt that it could never be conclusively proved that ESF would have saved the crew even after the extensive testing that was carried out as part of the Accident Investigation. BUT, it might have; and if the Yanks and the Aussies had it in the sixties why didn't we? Who made the decision and on what grounds? (Questions which are going to be debated for a long time yet)

RIP Lads

Jimps

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
"Who made the decision and on what grounds?"

That is the very Question that no-one at the top wants to be asked.

That question could be the driver for a new "Glasnost" of openness of Top-Brass accountability and a possible transparity of their processes that will either help or destroy careers. (but with a full pension no-doubt!)

However; we can only wait for an Inquest Report to be published.