• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Falklands - Was it a Good Det?

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I never managed to get down there for a four monther despite volunteering but I did get down there for a three week holiday of sorts.

I'd been sent home on "sick" and terminal leave ( five months in total) after being told by my final med board that I was to be discharged from the service. Boredom set in rigidly after a few few weeks of doing nothing so I decided to indulge down to the Falkands to see what it was like...and I loved every minute there.

I turned up at Brize, parked my car and off I went. Arrived at Mt Pleasant and got the statndard arrivals brief along with an arrivals stamp from the customs bods in my passport and then went to my pre-organised accommodation at 38 fy. ( I think it was 38. Put it this way, it was a ten minute walk to the big NAAFI). I met up with a couple of Tornado mates on that first evening and got about organising my hols using them as my contacts when sorting out trips etc.

Sealion Island courtesy of the Brintel helicopter, Stanley, Mt Tumbledown and trip to Fox Bay all done in week one with further trips to Stanley in week two after hiring the SIF Land Rover for a few days. Week three saw me island hopping and delivering supplies and packages with the FIGAS Islander aircraft and a few days spent on Weddel with Denzil and Bella as my tour guides and supplier's of fresh eggs in the mornings.

It's fair to be said that I had a great time and not one single person questioned my presence there. I flew back with one of the Tonka mates and did the obligatory beer drinking at Ascension and got the obligatory WideAwakeAirfield stamp in my passport. Arrived back at Brize, picked up the car and drove a couple of bods home who lived in my locality saving them time and the nausea of waiting for service transport.

And then it kicked off.

Waiting for me on the floor was a hand posted letter from PSF telling me to report directly to the Chief Clerk asap. It turned out that someone on my Squadron had inadvertently told him in the Mess that I was holidaying in the South Atlantic and he wasn't very happy about that. In fact, when I reported to his office, he went absolutely harpic with with me, telling me he was going to charge me with dereliction of duty (work that out) and he'd do his damnedest to have me fizzed with anything he could throw at me. He went even more bananas when I said " Well you you can't sack me, the RAF has already done that so as far as I'm concerned I'll do what I want thanks". Insubordination was a word thrown around as I revelled in his antagonised state and he only began to become sensible again when a curious Squadron Leader (OC PSF) stuck his head around the door to see what was going on. I was kindly sent on my way with another appointment for a chat with the said S/L with tea and biscuits.

And a very nice chat it was too. OC PSF congratulated me on making a mockery of the system that had downgraded and discharged me by doing exactly what the system said I couldn't do. He also pointed to a pile of documents on his desk and said "I think you have been treated unfairly and I have evidence of this. I have no idea how these documents came into your possession". He then wished me all the luck in the world and that no disciplinary action would be taken, because I hadn't broken any rules. I've still go those documents but I never needed them. Twenty years down the line I'm in a top notch position with all the trimmings and I look back at my little Falklands jaunt with a little wry smile knowing that the RAF is still backwards in the way it administrates its people.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I never managed to get down there for a four monther despite volunteering but I did get down there for a three week holiday of sorts.

I'd been sent home on "sick" and terminal leave ( five months in total) after being told by my final med board that I was to be discharged from the service. Boredom set in rigidly after a few few weeks of doing nothing so I decided to indulge down to the Falkands to see what it was like...and I loved every minute there.

I turned up at Brize, parked my car and off I went. Arrived at Mt Pleasant and got the statndard arrivals brief along with an arrivals stamp from the customs bods in my passport and then went to my pre-organised accommodation at 38 fy. ( I think it was 38. Put it this way, it was a ten minute walk to the big NAAFI). I met up with a couple of Tornado mates on that first evening and got about organising my hols using them as my contacts when sorting out trips etc.

Sealion Island courtesy of the Brintel helicopter, Stanley, Mt Tumbledown and trip to Fox Bay all done in week one with further trips to Stanley in week two after hiring the SIF Land Rover for a few days. Week three saw me island hopping and delivering supplies and packages with the FIGAS Islander aircraft and a few days spent on Weddel with Denzil and Bella as my tour guides and supplier's of fresh eggs in the mornings.

It's fair to be said that I had a great time and not one single person questioned my presence there. I flew back with one of the Tonka mates and did the obligatory beer drinking at Ascension and got the obligatory WideAwakeAirfield stamp in my passport. Arrived back at Brize, picked up the car and drove a couple of bods home who lived in my locality saving them time and the nausea of waiting for service transport.

And then it kicked off.

Waiting for me on the floor was a hand posted letter from PSF telling me to report directly to the Chief Clerk asap. It turned out that someone on my Squadron had inadvertently told him in the Mess that I was holidaying in the South Atlantic and he wasn't very happy about that. In fact, when I reported to his office, he went absolutely harpic with with me, telling me he was going to charge me with dereliction of duty (work that out) and he'd do his damnedest to have me fizzed with anything he could throw at me. He went even more bananas when I said " Well you you can't sack me, the RAF has already done that so as far as I'm concerned I'll do what I want thanks". Insubordination was a word thrown around as I revelled in his antagonised state and he only began to become sensible again when a curious Squadron Leader (OC PSF) stuck his head around the door to see what was going on. I was kindly sent on my way with another appointment for a chat with the said S/L with tea and biscuits.

And a very nice chat it was too. OC PSF congratulated me on making a mockery of the system that had downgraded and discharged me by doing exactly what the system said I couldn't do. He also pointed to a pile of documents on his desk and said "I think you have been treated unfairly and I have evidence of this. I have no idea how these documents came into your possession". He then wished me all the luck in the world and that no disciplinary action would be taken, because I hadn't broken any rules. I've still go those documents but I never needed them. Twenty years down the line I'm in a top notch position with all the trimmings and I look back at my little Falklands jaunt with a little wry smile knowing that the RAF is still backwards in the way it administrates its people.
Did you stay in the green corrugated hut on Weddel owned by the farmer?

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Did you stay in the green corrugated hut on Weddel owned by the farmer?

It was more a hut made of plywood and decorated out like some sort of 18th century based horror film house where the undead are stored in the attic. I've got a pic somewhere so I'll post it on here. EDIT. Job done. 20210419_111932.jpg

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
This was ours. It was actually white corrugated iron sheeting. That weather came in real bad, so much so that the Chinny couldn't come get us and we had to walk up to the farmhouse to buy more Stella and mutton curry. We had an extra 3 days there until there was a hole in the low cloud big enough to get a helo in.
weddel.png

yosser101

LAC
Loved both tours in the Falklands. Being in a band made me very popular as I got paid for gigs in crates of beer and shared the beers with the rest of the guys on my shift when not working. Who doesn't love free beers?

Thanks to those that covered my work whilst I was off being a pop star.

I even got a hand written letter from the Commander British Forces South Atlantic Islands thanking me for the morale boost the band provided.
You shared the beers? I never saw any!! We had a blast though!

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
I went exactly this time last year at the start of covid with a weeks notice due to 4 people dropping out(I should have gone 6 months later to do a different job). Horrific. 2 weeks quarantine in Uniform block going stir crazy, nothing to see or do or to speak to. no alcohol, followed by 4 months of essentially quarantine with work. 2 cans followed by 3 cans a month later and eventually 4 cans when i left which is what it still is today. Nothing was open not even the gym, confined to camp till my last week when i managed to get on the first trip to Stanley. Nothing really open just a small wooden town. I didn't see **** all of the wildlife or the island, which when you fly 8000 miles on a short haul white non-reclining hard seat doesn't make it worth while.

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
You shared the beers? I never saw any!! We had a blast though!
Six years later and you finally show up here.

I believe we shared plenty of stronger tipples in the Sgts Mess. I'd love to have a copy of that quiz if you still have it.

#DrunkDrummingPandaQuiz

Last edited:

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I went exactly this time last year at the start of covid with a weeks notice due to 4 people dropping out(I should have gone 6 months later to do a different job). Horrific. 2 weeks quarantine in Uniform block going stir crazy, nothing to see or do or to speak to. no alcohol, followed by 4 months of essentially quarantine with work. 2 cans followed by 3 cans a month later and eventually 4 cans when i left which is what it still is today. Nothing was open not even the gym, confined to camp till my last week when i managed to get on the first trip to Stanley. Nothing really open just a small wooden town. I didn't see **** all of the wildlife or the island, which when you fly 8000 miles on a short haul white non-reclining hard seat doesn't make it worth while.
You wait and see how this will become the norm POST covid as the opportunity to save LOTS of money at the expense of health and well-being of the Service personnel. Glad I jumped ship to civvy-land when I did!!!!! Stuck up a mountainside and getting screwed around by the REMFs at MPA didn't really appeal...........

StickyFingers

Sergeant
That "Voyager" was emotional wasn't it? Holy shit it sucked.

br9mp81

Corporal
Ouch... Was he in an 'unnatural' relationship with a sheep or a penguin....? ;)
Fireman, 1st trip with me in 84 boat down and back, 24 on 24 off so we in effect had a single room on the coastel, busy days at work,busy nights in the shed,2 weeks 'rest' at kellys garden,and trips to check fire kit at every out station and hilltop.
The other shift had a bimbo planned, however the RE boat troop somehow dropped them at the edge of a minefield only when they had walked to the other side and leaned over the barbed wire did they find out.
We lost a Loadmaster and a pongo during my tour, and were lucky not to lose a Harrier jockey by luck a stacker was in a RIB checking fuel lines from the oil tanker by Stanley airfield and pulled him out of the sea.
Theres a few ex RAF in my job, and ive been told by a few of them they left because of FI tours, strange i think it was the best time i had in the RAF tbh.

norfolkred1

Sergeant
If you cannot take a joke lol. The UN in Cyprus were stuck in Ledra Palace, same situation but +40 Degrees.

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
3 tours - 90, 06 & 14. 1st on 78, a very drunk tour, other 2 as DEOC..........took till the 3rd tour to get out and about and see a penguin! Thought on the last tour it was high time (and summer) to go see everything and with a shift system of pretty much 3 on 6 off there was plenty of time to see the sights. Manning have asked twice if I'll go back but have politely refused :). Apparently saying "you can fcuk right off" works these days........

stormwell

LAC
Ah, something I have the possibility of looking forward to.

Still, my uncle had a flying visit to the islands in early May 1982 but as a back seater didn't get to really see anything.

Wife's uncle (though a pongo) had a much longer visit later that same year, though got a dressing down by a RAF officer for not saluting (granted wife's uncle did point out they didn't have Wing Commanders in the Army). Though the RAF officer was stood in front of a window of a portacabin, a window that had the wife's uncle's boss making lewd gestures behind the RAF officer's back.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Interesting thread.

I've been watching many a documentary about the conflict on YouTube (again) and I am still staggered at how resilient the Task Force was when fighting a remote war in a remote part of the world.

The best quote from one of the many interviews I have heard by far is;

"The Argentines were fighting for the Islands. We were fighting for the Islanders".

Poignant.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Interesting thread.

I've been watching many a documentary about the conflict on YouTube (again) and I am still staggered at how resilient the Task Force was when fighting a remote war in a remote part of the world.

The best quote from one of the many interviews I have heard by far is;

"The Argentines were fighting for the Islands. We were fighting for the Islanders".

Poignant.
And the thanks the future deployees received was to pay double the UK price for goods as we were a captive audience. At the time I deployed, my colleagues on II(AC) Sqn were in Ali Al Salem. They received a 20 minute phone allowance each week, whereas I didnt, and the cost to phone the UK was £1.50 per minute. In effect, for a 4 month deployment, I was £30 a week worse off than I would have been in AAS, or put another way £480 over my tour. I raised this through my Chain of Command, but nothing happened.

I was so incenced, I wrote to my MP (Gillian Shepherd) and outlined the unfairness of the DWR system, and to my surprise, she took up my case and pressed the Secretary of State for Defence. My Sqn Cdr received a call from the MOD telling him to berate me for daring to question the rules through my MP as it had "caused them a lot of work". I had already spoken at length with him about this unfairness and he was fully aware & supportive of my letter to MP. His response to his MOD counterpart was along the lines of "Well you should have listened when he raised it through the CoC, and if you were doing your job properly wrt allowances he would never had to raise it".

Within about a year, FI personnel were issued with phone cards - a colleague of mine deployed there as Cashier and it was her job to issue them.

My Sqn Cdr went on to become Chief of the Air Staff.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
And the thanks the future deployees received was to pay double the UK price for goods as we were a captive audience. At the time I deployed, my colleagues on II(AC) Sqn were in Ali Al Salem. They received a 20 minute phone allowance each week, whereas I didnt, and the cost to phone the UK was £1.50 per minute. In effect, for a 4 month deployment, I was £30 a week worse off than I would have been in AAS, or put another way £480 over my tour. I raised this through my Chain of Command, but nothing happened.

I was so incenced, I wrote to my MP (Gillian Shepherd) and outlined the unfairness of the DWR system, and to my surprise, she took up my case and pressed the Secretary of State for Defence. My Sqn Cdr received a call from the MOD telling him to berate me for daring to question the rules through my MP as it had "caused them a lot of work". I had already spoken at length with him about this unfairness and he was fully aware & supportive of my letter to MP. His response to his MOD counterpart was along the lines of "Well you should have listened when he raised it through the CoC, and if you were doing your job properly wrt allowances he would never had to raise it".

Within about a year, FI personnel were issued with phone cards - a colleague of mine deployed there as Cashier and it was her job to issue them.

My Sqn Cdr went on to become Chief of the Air Staff.
That's excellent. But did you really account for all the pens issued down south?

Blue biro's.

"I counted them out and I counted them in again"

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If anyone has twenty minutes to spare, this is a fantastic little YT documentary about the FI.

I forgot about the lodge on Sealion Island but it's there in the film!