• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Falklands - Was it a Good Det?

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Found a picture of me fishing on Weddell Island t'other day and it made me smile. At the time I fecking hated most of my 4 months on that occasion but on reflection, was it really a bad det?

Thoughts on this? I was there in '95 on this det...bars everywhere but often 'bar denied' due to ticketing and me not having big t1ts. Fairly lawless in the accommodation blocks but that sometimes raised tension. The RIC made or broke a tour down there either trying to kick the sh1t out of you if you got isolated on the wrong area or, conversely, making you a curry (Gurkha's) and being quite nice to you.

If you've earned the thousand cans of pre-opened Fosters stare...what made it good or bad for you?

StickyFingers

Sergeant
Several times for me, up on the mountains. Management always utter wank, but the lads made it (Only problem was all it took was one to spoil it). I'd throw myself off a cliff to not go again if an AO landed in my inbox but in my weaker moments, I do pine for the easy life, especially the weekends with all the beer and sport I can fit in me.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
One of the things that used to turn me inexplicably purple with rage was being in a room with one who was so bought into the place in every way that he'd stopped using English as his first language and was talking pure 'Falklandese'. There was a considerable amount of made-up words for beer, mail, transport, bars, access to phone cards, smokes, the gym etc etc that they would spout in front of me that got me reaching for my foreskin cheese and their mug.

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
Loved both tours in the Falklands. Being in a band made me very popular as I got paid for gigs in crates of beer and shared the beers with the rest of the guys on my shift when not working. Who doesn't love free beers?

Thanks to those that covered my work whilst I was off being a pop star.

I even got a hand written letter from the Commander British Forces South Atlantic Islands thanking me for the morale boost the band provided.

GOV1

LAC
Four times for me, best tours though were the ones away from MPA, up a mountain site and at Fox Bay.

One memory springs to mind when I was the duty airman for the 38FY bar back in 1987.
In those days 38 FY was the Infantry no go area!

OO and Ord Sgt ordered me in there at 2300 to help the Police to close the bar off all the Infantry (Devon and Dorset Regiment at the time).

Luckily for me we played rugby against them that day and I went over to a grunt I recognised from the game and had a friendly chat with him. Within minutes the bar was empty and I strolled back to the Guard room and said all done. I’m off to my bunk for a kip!

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Enjoyed the social but working with the Army in a non job just made it feel never ending.

Had much more fun in Kosovo, same amount of drinking but busy work and places to go.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I enjoyed my time down there despite the best efforts of a truly idiotic berk (looked uncannily like Gordon Ramsey) fucking things up, making the wrong decisions with little justification despite his 'subordinates' trying their best to steer him. He also nearly blinded one of them with about 400 litres of Avtur, as he didn't connect the refuel hose up to the timmy bird correctly, leaving the refuel valve in the wing stuck open but expected someone to stand there and hold it.

The dick.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I only managed 1 tour in the FI (I'd previously done a 6 monther on ASI) and that was up a mountain site so saw very little of MPA. Alice was, however, a great time & i loved it. Much more freedom to explore, a close-knit team, no unnecessary BS & lots of laughs.

UlsterExile

Sergeant
3 tours, 2 in the HQ. for the most part I enjoyed all 3 tours. Oranjeboom was the weapon of choice in bottom NAAFI. the only thing that really got to me was the Officers who thought they were at war in the morning briefing. First Tour was the best as all the Bars seemed to diminish every time I went back. Got an invite to the EErie bar when the new comers were give their characters (really good), and have to say the Queen Vic was something else., miss LOT22 though great place when Tigger was dancing around the pole!!!!!!!!!!!

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Four times for me, best tours though were the ones away from MPA, up a mountain site and at Fox Bay.

One memory springs to mind when I was the duty airman for the 38FY bar back in 1987.
In those days 38 FY was the Infantry no go area!

OO and Ord Sgt ordered me in there at 2300 to help the Police to close the bar off all the Infantry (Devon and Dorset Regiment at the time).

Luckily for me we played rugby against them that day and I went over to a grunt I recognised from the game and had a friendly chat with him. Within minutes the bar was empty and I strolled back to the Guard room and said all done. I’m off to my bunk for a kip!

Ord Sgt at 38FY was a the duty no-one looked forward to as locking up the Gull and Flicknife was supposed to be the nightmare of all nightmares, especially if you were of the light blue persuasion.

Fortunately for me when it was my turn, I had a good team from the RIC ( the Woofers) as my guards, including one of their regiment's champion boxers. I had briefed him on how I intended going about locking up and said to the boxer, who was a full screw, I would meet him at 22.55 outside the door and we would work our way round ushering everyone out.

Come the appointed time, I made my way to the main door to be met by crowds of pongoes streaming out of the door. I went inside, my plan was to use the softly, softly approach. However Cpl Champion Boxer was already inside shouting 'Out, out, YOU!! OUT! F****g MOVE!'"

The place was locked up with lights out by 23.15. Back to the 38FY guard room for a brew and biccies by 11.20. Must have been one of the quietest nights ever at MPA. I also copped the 12FY Ord Sgt the night of the 10th Anniversary piss-up attend by Maggie and Dennis and associated hangers-on. More coppers and land-sharks you could shake a stick at patrolling the place and another quiet night with the 12 FY bar closed and locked up in record time.

Past Engineering

Sergeant
Subscriber
Due to us expecting a new arrival, I was able to swap with another guy from the Squadron and went July to September 89. When I got there and heard all the depressing talk from some people, I decided to try and make the most of it and with a good shift on the Chinook detachment we worked hard and played hard and at work despite the odd issues caused by some in charge it turned out a blast. My work ethics and oft made gaffs helped, for example two of us ended up in front of OC eng for separate reasons, but that is another story.

I had a brilliant Falklands slate that covered various idiosyncrasies of mine that seemed to keep some people happy, including a towing arm with a learner plate attached after my attempts to push a Chinook into the hangar after my leaving do on the Sunday and at the end of the shift from the exercise they called early on the Monday morning, I will claim the fifth on the details.

Rotortuning was one of my pet projects as they had decided that the Odiham totortune cell were the only ones that came down and carried them out, mainly post minors and if they could not make it the Rotortune was limmed until they could get down, which I reckoned was an expensive waste of time and money, especially as we had quite a few very experienced Rotortune guys on both shifts, after a bit of a struggle I convinced management to go for it and it proved a workable cost effective process. Mind you one pilot was not happy and tried to make out that the first one I did was a bag of crap, despite both heads being almost bulls eyed on the charts, so off to Odiham went the data and they agreed with me so never had an issue after that.

Took my computer with a flight sim on and shared it with a guy from the other shift, a near riot occurred when new JENGO thought it would be a good idea to extend my tour by a week to allow me to take charge of a Combining Transmission change, tried to change the slot back to the original Tuesday, but ended up going on the Thursday instead, worked out as it was a better return route than the Tuesday one would have been. Had two champagne breakfasts and looked forward to seeing my new daughter again.

I did two Orderly Sergeants; one was in main reception and one in ‘The Pit’ (if memory serves was the name for the Army end. The main reception was a laugh due to the people you met and had to deal with, I got a phone call from the female accommodation complaining about the party in another room that had male personnel in attendance, which was not permitted, what happened after is not for here I feel.

The one in ‘The Pit’ I was briefed that I had to close and lock up their bar at 10.00 and then lock ourselves in our room and do not leave until the following morning. I duly turned up at 10.00 hours to find the bar grill was down and locked but there was a large group of army bods and a small group of RAF guys which I knew, the RAF bods finished their drinks and left, which left me a tad worried now until one of the guys, who turned out to be one of their SNCO’s, asked if they could finish the crate they had stashed as it was a birthday party for one of the troop, he said they would be out by 11.00 and would tidy up and check the windows were all closed, I went back at 11.00 and all was cleared up and windows closed, so locked up and went to bed.

Next day I was summoned to the boss as it had been rumoured that I had exceeded my authority by permitting the bar to extend its opening hours, once explained that for a peaceful co-existence with our fellow inmates that I had merely allowed them to finish the drinks they already had so they let me off. Was recognised around the place by the Army guys and never had any problems with them.

As you can see, I had and eventful tour and there is plenty more but as I said we made the best of it and so would have to say that for somewhere were we had no choice about going, it was a good experience. As an aside, we tried to beat the record at Ascension to see who could drink the most while the aircraft was being refuelled and turned around.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I was a fully Q’d Nimrod Sumpy so it made complete sense to put me on 1435flt. I did the two week OTR course on shifty-fix and on the jet I went. I was pretty much a bum on a seat so I got stuck on tools, mailman and Q. Not having a meaning in life made the first half of the tour really drag...then I got into bar ticket sourcing and swapping which at least kept me busy. I thought Shadies (store bar) was the funniest because of the new starters initiations and the themed fancy dress. The Lot played the best music followed by the Albert. I found our own bar, the Eryrie, a bit boring as it was a continuation in some cases of F3 life back home. I gave it a wide berth for a while and received many a veiled threat of ‘Don’t diss the Claw’....but you know...fcuk em.

norfolkred1

Sergeant
Two tours on Mt Kent. First in 86, the boss got wind of my eldest brother being down on another mountain and had him shipped across, pity he was a pongo, but was nice to have him around. Plenty of fun and frolics with bell ringing, can scrum downs, Father Abrahams and plenty of impromptu fancy dress parties. Very basic accommodation with 4 to an Iso container but great for morale. No plates just a Prison mess tin with compartments for main and puds. Always a challenge running to the bogs and showers in 50k winds. Anyone remember the Shed at Port Stanley, lights out and duck to avoid incoming.

Second tour in 92. New accommodation mainly all enclosed. Two man rooms for the Nco's so still bearable even though my roomie wore PJ's but a top fella. Longest part of the tour, the wait at MPA for the flight home. Mountain site for me all the way.

foxOneFive

Corporal
Bit of a fraud here as didn't actually get boots on ground on Falkland's, but probably next closest.
Managed to get half way between Ascension and FI.
Around mid 80's. From memory I think we were the 1st VC-10K 101 sqn to be involved in the phantom "change over" eg: take tooms from uk to FI and bring the tied out ones back.
After all of us enjoying the weather and lovely Ascension, and nobody very keen to go all the way. (I wasn't flying it, just emptying the bogs and kicking the tyres when we landed) Anyway....Then I think? 4 maybe 6 tooms got airborne from Asi, and 2 VC-10's may have been a spare?
Plan was refuel tooms and get to half way point and the VC10 of the 2 would refuel the other one and continue journey to FI, other 10 return ASI and enjoy the sun for another week or so.
So the fighters are now topped up, and the 2 tankers now have to tank each other. I'm in front one with my KD shorts etc looking fwd to back to ASI. The 10 behind who has made an arse of finding our basket has made 2 attempts to refuel? We are now being told that we may have to swatch round and we maybe off to FI and get your cold weather clothing at the ready? I saw this all from the jump seat on the 70's camera and thankfully jab 3 was a result and we turned round half way and returned to the sun.
As an old man now, would have liked to have gone there to be honest

Vushtrri

Sergeant
Only did one tour on Hardet 1453 , 83/84 from Gut....Loved it. Memorable things? ...quite a few including not for the right reasons Rocket Boots going into Stanley to the video shop whilst on nights QRA and coming back with Quentin Crisps The Naked Civil Servant..! .....and on the way back on the Sir Geraint, 4 days from ASI and receiving a telex telling me I was booked on the flight from Brize to Gut the following day...? Eventually got back to Gut on a Friday late evening on my 25 th birthday to find everyone had knobbed off to Sassenburg camping and on the piss for the weekend..

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I was there March-July 2000. It was, without doubt, the shittest 4 months of my 28 year career. I was taken from my role on a Tornado Sqn that was about to deploy again to Ali Al Salem and plonked 16,000 miles away in a Forms and Stationery store that came under the command of a kind of Eng Wg HQ, staffed by personnel who hadnt been deployed for close to 10 years. In short, I had feck all in common with anyone in my area.

This came to a head one day on Stanley Harbour, when I was on parade for the Queen's Official Birthday. The Governor, complete in his ceremonial unform and big feathered hat was inspecting the parade. He stopped at me and asked what I did. I asked him whether he meant here or back in the uk. "Both" was his response.

"In the UK, I provide administrative support to 200+ men and women that part of a Tornado Reconnaissance Squadron, which deploys all over the world on both training and operational missions"

"That sounds very exciting. And Out here?"

"I give out pens".

He moved on without further comment.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
2 Tours.
The first was memorable in that I was afforded the opportunity to gestate the largest chest blackheads I have ever seen and wore a black and orange suit all the time.

The second was a lot more fun, and made me master of the joint service orderly room and the only person on the base with his own SWB and permanent access to bimble tyres.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I did a couple of tours, both on 78 Chinooks, 87 & 91. The first was the worst. On a schedule maint team doing Minors too far away from a spares source....with a knob Chief and Sgt and with Past Engineer’s favourite Jengo as the Sengo!
Soon after arriving we were told our tour was being extended to 6 months as the MINORs were being stopped and that would be better to not send another Minor team down. Then the Sgt knob decided that we would be better if we worked a 14 or 16-hour day....I initiated a discussion and laid into him - verbally, of course. As an ex-MU guy, working more than 12 hours would knacker us and we’d be working backwards if we worked 14 or 16 hours...we’d either remake silly mistakes or spread 8 hours work into 16...luckily they listened so we worked 12-on 12-off for 6 days a week. LOT 22 was our haven. And we did some Bimbles on Sundays.
Second tour was much better as a SNEC. A room on my own was a huge benefit And a Sqn SNECs Bar Was also a haven. I’d learned that the Bar In LOT 22 was the place to be - behind it and serving. I learned to show films in the Cinema, where I wrote my team’s assessments. I was so engrossed that I forgot to switch speakers and the ‘guests’ went a few minutes without sound...on another film I showed the reels 1-3-2-4 But had no complaints from the floor - I recon they were all asleep too.
I also found the Stn Camera Club and spent Tuesday evenings developing expired B&W film - free from the Stn Photogs. Finally, I went Windsurfing on that long lake down toward Mare Harbour. My R&R was a week spent on ASI cos it was a second tour and I met my Nephew there as his ship was on its way to FI - we had a few beers and off he went again.
Oh yes, there was some work too. As head Rigger I was busy almost every day except when we managed to ground them both for a controls issue...peace and Bluey writing (yes, writing!)
I have often thought I’d Enjoy going back as a tourist, but then I hope I can never to afford it.

Last edited:
I was there March-July 2000. It was, without doubt, the shittest 4 months of my 28 year career. I was taken from my role on a Tornado Sqn that was about to deploy again to Ali Al Salem and plonked 16,000 miles away in a Forms and Stationery store that came under the command of a kind of Eng Wg HQ, staffed by personnel who hadnt been deployed for close to 10 years. In short, I had feck all in common with anyone in my area.

This came to a head one day on Stanley Harbour, when I was on parade for the Queen's Official Birthday. The Governor, complete in his ceremonial unform and big feathered hat was inspecting the parade. He stopped at me and asked what I did. I asked him whether he meant here or back in the uk. "Both" was his response.

"In the UK, I provide administrative support to 200+ men and women that part of a Tornado Reconnaissance Squadron, which deploys all over the world on both training and operational missions"

"That sounds very exciting. And Out here?"

"I give out pens".

He moved on without further comment.
Can't lose that 100% manned posts stat down there.

Two tours of the shit hole myself, one in 1998-1999 at Hill Cove for 4 months listening for helicopters to turn up to be refuelled. Beer and BBQ with the locals tour that one.

2nd one was working with the REME lunatics in MTW in 2011/2012, had the misfortune of being guard commander over Christmas when HMS Montrose was in situ. Vomit everywhere.