• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Falklands 6 month stints....

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
Seeing as this is a rumour network/forum here's cracker for you;

WEF 01 Apr 14 SNCO posts at MPA/C will be 6 month tours.

Discuss...

I would be bloody gutted to go down there away from my husband/son for 6 months. I think this and the new pension will be the final nail in the coffin for some.

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Is there still guaranteed R & R in Ascension for 6 monthers? We used to get it as 2nd + tourists within timescales if there wear seat on the T*

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Altogether Now...

"We're all going on a Summer Holiday............."

On a serious note. I can see a lot of people 22 years and banging out. This will be a final nail in the coffin for some!!

And just watch how the JSP for leave such as R + R changes in the next year so as to "alleviate" strain on the Airbridge just like the 4 monthers lost their R + R!! Another "HARD" decision made by the Bean Counters in MOD Whitehall of course!

Norman the Storeman

QA Acolyte
6 months in a sandy place I could manage, sense of purpose, visibility of end result, Op Bonus etc.

6 months down south on groundhog days with superfluous duties, knob head drunks & pointless taskings…nah!

The R&R question is an interesting one. Long flight for a few days at home. Does Asi have any R&R facilities left?

UlsterExile

Sergeant
I take it that they have looked at the Q's for SNCO's and if I am correct (could be wrong) then some of the SNCO's will have to go on redundant courses to ensure that there is one person Q'd who will be in theatre should the others go on R & R. So in potentially more time away from the family.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'm liking the assumption people will be able to leave the Islands on RnR. I'll bet it'll be local RnR at best...

The Nip

LAC
Firstly it is not just Logs who are affected by this.
Secondly, the powers that be have been asked to 'identity' post which may go to 6 months. As you can imagine, this would/could cause animosity. The most likely outcome, in IMHO, is that all slots will be 6 months. It will be all decided by end of Jan 14.
Whatever, it is going to happen this time after 20+ years of rumours. It is surprising how many people threaten to leave but many don't.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Picture framing, impossible levels of fitnesss and weight loss, estury fishing, high performance alcoholism, the distractions are endless.

I got 3 days on one of the islands by FIA for R&R but also a 4 day trip home for a TG6 "conference" at STC.

delboy

SAC
Falklands 6 month stints....

Anyone hear any proper rumour mill gen on this? Heard from a bird in the mess who said her ex was told by his snec who overheard in exchange drinks that they were gonna push it out as of April 2014, hope its BS as I only ever seem to do MPA and 6 months there would require me to pack a rope!!!

Norman the Storeman

QA Acolyte
I take it that they have looked at the Q's for SNCO's and if I am correct (could be wrong) then some of the SNCO's will have to go on redundant courses to ensure that there is one person Q'd who will be in theatre should the others go on R & R. So in potentially more time away from the family.

Q's won't be a problem if fuels goes to contractor. Plus your JNCO on his 4 monther can cover maybe?

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
Have a look at the last AMP's Bulletin.

Following the MOD's Force Generation Review, Minister for the Armed Forces directed that all 3 Services move to a standard 6-month tour for Ops and BFSAI. Though, IIRC, it does allow for variation of tour lengths were a different tour length can be objectively justified (much the same way that not all RAF tours are currently 4). So yes the standard tour will be 6 months; but, there will probably be some 4 month (and 3, 9, or 12 month etc) tours remaining if there is an operational reason.

IIRC the intent is that the '6-month unless justified otherwise' policy applies now to any new posts created. Other posts will be reviewed during the first quarter of 2014, with the intent that any new JPA Assingment Orders raised on or after 1 April 2014 would reflect the revised tour length. Those with Assingment Orders for 4-month tours raised before 1 April 2014 should still do a 4-month tour.

My understanding is that there is no intent to roll this out across Afghanistan with only a year to run on Op HERRICK.

Finally, the various airbridges have the capacity to deal with the increase in flights as 6-month tours are eligible for R&R.

Last edited:

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
However you dress it up, the change in policy is turd.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Isnt it 2 weeks R&R for 6 month deployments? And isn't it also that the R&R commences from landing at your home country to departing your home country? I'm sure that's one of the changes that were announced by Camoron and his Tory cronies when they came to power.

If that's the case, a 6 month OOA to MPA could easily turn into 2 x 12 week deployments if your R&R is taken mid-tour.