• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Eye Tests

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Are we entitled to get professional eye tests from the RAF every so many years ?

Odie

Sergeant
Are we entitled to get professional eye tests from the RAF every so many years ?

I get an annual test at the local optician and claim the money back through the Med Centre's pharmacy. If you need glasses and can justify them for display screen working then, IIRC, you can get a grant of £60.

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I get an annual test at the local optician and claim the money back through the Med Centre's pharmacy. If you need glasses and can justify them for display screen working then, IIRC, you can get a grant of £60.

How do you know you need glasses without an eyetest ? I don't mind paying for it myself but I would like to know it was an entitlement.

IeuanMawr

LAC
You take the eye test first. Get the money back for that and you claim the cost of glasses using a different form. You wont pay for the glasses until you collect them.

I had to get the Optician to sign my DSE form a few years back. Just ring the med centre on monday and ask. If you aren't a regular DSE user (do you sit infront of a pc or not for a few hours a day) then you're going to have to fork out for glasses yourself.... unless you want those funky Joe 90 issue glasses.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Usually the Med Centre has an arrangment with a local optician, go to the pharmacy in the Med centre and ask for a form. Take this to the optician with you.

The optician will complete this and details include whether you need specs for just DSE use.

If you already wear glasses or will need glasses for general reading as well as DSE (books etc) then you will have to fork out for your own glasses.

How anyone can just need glasses for DSE but not for any other type of reading, God only knows, but that is the requirement for the RAF to pay up. Funny that eh?

As has already been mentioned they will contribute £60 towards glasses if you do qualify and you dont need to get them from the optician who does your test.

You claim this via the Med Centre and not on JPA.

Hope this has helped.

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Cheers for the replies guys, just to clear things up... If I go for an eye test and they say my eyes are fine and I do not require glasses I cannot claim the cost back ?

4everAD

Sergeant
You can claim the money back whatever, don't forget it's not just to see if you need glasses it also checks the health of your eyes so is classed as medical not cosmetic so to speak.

Odie

Sergeant
How do you know you need glasses without an eyetest ? I don't mind paying for it myself but I would like to know it was an entitlement.

Jeez, your eyesight must be bad. :pDT_Xtremez_42:

I said I have an annual eyesight test that I claim the costs back through the Med Centre. It's the results of that that would tell me that I need glasses which is a separate funding issue - hence the two bits of info were in two sentences.

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Free eye tests in Jockland. If you don't want defence specs you'll have to pay for your frames. Speccy barstards :pDT_Xtremez_26:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
I got my eyes tested thanks to the RAF and took my perscription I had done in the Opticians down to Specsavers and got two pairs for the price of one and only coughed out £50.....

ivrytwr3

SAC
don't bother with opticians!! Try this test:

Colour Vision Test

or do what i did (offer now extended)

have u not seen this offer from optimax?

HalfPriceAugust_Heading.jpg
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+3]1/2 Price Laser Eye Treatment[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=+3][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]+ 12 months Interest Free Credit[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+2]for everybody*[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+2]Our most advanced treatment[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=+2][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]£3,570 is now £1,785 to both eyes[SIZE=+1]†[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
HP0809Image.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dear *****[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Our half price offer is so successful with many people taking advantage to save money & reduce the hassle of glasses and contact lenses. However, many of you told us that treatment was not convenient at that time, so we are continuing with our Half Price offer until August 2009![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Our most advanced treatment IntraLase® LASIK Wavefront is the safest and most effective procedure to date offering the best results and rapid recovery, in fact you could be back at work the next day[/FONT]

BlueCheckMark.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 1/2 PRICE, call before end of August 2009[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
BlueCheckMark.gif
Every one is offered 12 months interest free credit = £148.75 per month[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
BlueCheckMark.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] FREE Consultation[/FONT]
BlueCheckMark.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Lifetime Aftercare Guarantee[/FONT]

A recent survey shows that patients:

BlueCheckMark.gif
Gain confidence and freedom
BlueCheckMark.gif
Wake up and see
BlueCheckMark.gif
Have improved performance in sports
BlueCheckMark.gif
Look and feel more attractive
BlueCheckMark.gif
Save money in the long term[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Book your consultation onlineor Call 0845 688 9270 and quote EHP 08 09 to find out if you are suitable[/FONT]​

L

lilij

Hi

You have to make an eye test first in order to wear glasses. I recently made an eye test at Leightons Opticians and I was very happy with the professional advice that I received. There you can choose from the wide range of glasses that the opticians offer at very competitive prices.
Here is a link to very good opticians: http://www.leightonsopticians.com/

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Hi

You have to make an eye test first in order to wear glasses. I recently made an eye test at Leightons Opticians and I was very happy with the professional advice that I received. There you can choose from the wide range of glasses that the opticians offer at very competitive prices.
Here is a link to very good opticians: http://www.leightonsopticians.com/

Any chance a mod can remove this blatant plug and the subsequent posts (inc mine), so that the thread can be confined to history again?