• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ex armourer in Paralympics

timaloy

Corporal
Just saw an advert for the Paralympics and its the ex RAF armourer Jon Allen Butterworth from cottesmore, the guy who lost his arm at Basra dump, he is competing in some cycling events

G

gemarriott

Just saw an advert for the Paralympics and its the ex RAF armourer Jon Allen Butterworth from cottesmore, the guy who lost his arm at Basra dump, he is competing in some cycling events

good lad, never keep a good man down

timaloy

Corporal
There was various bits and pieces over the years from rafa who I think sponsered him, its good to see some of our injured, competing at international level,

G

gemarriott

There was various bits and pieces over the years from rafa who I think sponsered him, its good to see some of our injured, competing at international level,

I seem to recall sponsoring him on a bike ride during his early rehab

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
Looking at the time table, Jon's first event, the Kilo time trial will be taking place Tomorrow (Friday 31st) from 2 PM. It is a factorised event with two categories (C4 and C5) racing. Todays C1 to C3 event saw a C1 cyclist win by a country mile (5 seconds) over a C3 cyclist. Jon is a C5 so must beat C4 competitors by a time greater than the handicap percentage.. Good luck Jon.

BTW he is doing the indvidual pursuit, team sprint and road time trial as well, looking at the programme.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Cheers for that, early tbreak tomorrow afternoon now.....

Grand Prix fanatic..
Check up on the web for his draw mate. Its an indvidual TT so it starts at 2 but he may do his four laps at the beginning or at 3 to 3.30.. 28 competitors in the c 1-3 today!

stacker1195

Sergeant
According to his Twittor (@J_Butterworth86) he should on around 3.05 for the 1km TT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Prix fanatic..
Jon won the silver medal, just being beaten by a Spainard who broke Jon's world record to get the Gold. Only just mind and Jon didn't get the greatest start ever. Well done Jon.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

sausage2

Decorated war hero
Administrator
1000+ Posts
The commentator is a right cnut. Apparently he's an injured soldier from Afghanistan, not an airman injured in Iraq then?

Grand Prix fanatic..
The commentator is a right cnut. Apparently he's an injured soldier from Afghanistan, not an airman injured in Iraq then?

Phil Leggett is a good cycling commentator, but he got his research totally wrong.. He is losing the plot like Huw Porter was for the BBC in the Olympics..

Jon said post race that he was training more for the pursuit, so the kilo Silver was a bonus.

spike7451

Flight Sergeant
Nice one John!!

Although the event was marred by the Spics winging over the other GB cyclists false start,made even worse by a re-run being allowed earlier in the day.

Grand Prix fanatic..
A bit off tangent I know, but there isn't just Ex Armourers taking part in paralympic cycling, but Ex Formula One drivers as well! Alex Zanardi will be doing the hand cycle road race time trial around Brands Hatch next week! For those who don't know, Alex was an F1 driver for Lotus and Williams with a spell in US Champ Car between his times at Hethel and Grove, returning to the US series after 1998. He lost both his legs after a horrendous accident that ripped the front of his car clean off in the German round of Champ Car in 2001. It was a miracle that he survived (crash is on youtube, but I won't put the link on, far too graphic!) Met Zanardi in 93 when he was testing for Lotus at Colt, a gentleman..

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
These Paralympics have been something truly amazing. Tucked away of Ch4 without the massive fanfare afforded the Olympics themselves, the abilities of the athletes is often awe-inspiring. I couldn't stand on one of those sprinters blades let alone run 100m in 10.9 seconds like Jonnie Peacock and Oscar Pistorius on two of them. One of the lads in our office is involved in Olympic archery and went to the Paralympic event - amazing skill and control by archers holding a bow in their foot and releasing the arrow with their teeth or shoulder.
Shame its all over on Sunday and will probably disappear until Rio.