• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Even more F-35 problems

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
"The US Air Force says a strong tailwind is behind the runway fire that's grounded yet another of its F-35 fighter aircraft." linky

Then there's this one [an improvement for the lighter pilot] linky

I cannot help but wonder why the makers didn't see a lot of these problems coming.

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I've said it before Ex.

"IT WILL WORK". Even if it is cost-ineffective in the long run. Too many people with a vested interested to let it fail. Even if it says it's up to the job on paper rather than in reality.

I've no doubt it's a good plane but I think defence in general has become too computercentric. Fine as a primary but what is the back-up if all the systems have failed?????

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I cannot help but wonder why the makers didn't see a lot of these problems coming.

Because a lot of it is fairly new tech (along with the miniaturization of) being expected to work in harmony. Over 4 times as many millions of lines in software code written over the F22 Raptor as well.

It will get there, you've just got to have very, very deep pockets.

I would hasten to add that it sounds like an Engine start quite soon after an aborted start leaving more than enough unburnt fuel in the tail pipe. The high tailwind then gusting at just the right time exasperating the situation. This could affect any jet aircraft.

Last edited: