• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Erosion of perks for the wives

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
When I first got married to the good lady, she used to be able to have access to certain things on camp.

Dental care for her and the kids,
Medical care for both as above,
Free use of the gym facilities.

I'm sure there were loads more but the wife these days is starting to feel less valued by the RAF than she used to be.

Can anyone else give any more examples of things that have been slowly nibbled away from our long suffering wives?

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
Your wife and children would still be seen at my medical centre and most others in the Uk as far as I'm aware. There are a few places; such as Waddo who don't see dependants but the decision to deregister them was taken because the medical centre was unable to see both Servicemen and dependants as well (I know, I was there at the time!).

Ever since the demise of the RAF Medical services following the Conservatives decision to close all the military hospitals in '96 I feel there has been an erosion in the services we've been able to supply and this will probably get worse post-SDSR.

S

shadowwolf

Your wife and children would still be seen at my medical centre and most others in the Uk as far as I'm aware. There are a few places; such as Waddo who don't see dependants but the decision to deregister them was taken because the medical centre was unable to see both Servicemen and dependants as well (I know, I was there at the time!).

Ever since the demise of the RAF Medical services following the Conservatives decision to close all the military hospitals in '96 I feel there has been an erosion in the services we've been able to supply and this will probably get worse post-SDSR.

When I left Leeming in 2006, they were talking about Dependants not getting Med Care there as well..... I think it is appauling they way the decline is going.

What exactly is there still to actually ATTRACT people to join up ??

Apart from wanting to go defend everyone else's country and get shafted and your family shafted when away, and if you do happen to get injured and need to be discharged, get no support anyway...

Maybe someone should do an "Amended" recruitment video for Youtube called "The Truth" .....

Stingray

Sergeant
Here I am, overseas in the country that we helped to build and I am flabbergasted at what, compared to us they get.

First of all, respect.

Never have I witnessed such backing for their military peeps. All sporting, music events etc, they take time to stand for their anthem, then cheers when military men and women parade their colours.
Heck, one glimpse of their troops in the Ghan got the loudest cheer at the Superbowl!!!!!!

Their Vetrans program is second to none with tax free shopping available to all serving and ex-serving personnel.

If I have to ask for military discount (which I do at every turn!!) I get told that I am a hero and am given thanks for my service....wow.

Anyway back to basics and thread, my wife is allowed all of the above perks, was proud when I stood up when asked at Sea World and was not scared when she got into her car this morning.

She has Dental, basic, but better than the UK, Medical.....yeah the system is screwed up but military will see her, plus her dependents ID card which everyone identifies with.

This country may be going the way ours is, but they do look after their guys/gals.

Ours simply doesn't, serving/dependent.

Shame.

UlsterExile

Sergeant
Exile Snr(My Dad) once asked me why I did not wear my uniform in public(after the spitting incident at Wittering). I told him in no uncertain terms that although I am proud to serve my country and to wear my uniform, most people look at you like you have a can of baked beans stuck to your forehead. And also there is the security issue, as I don't want any ragheads following me back home and such. Also the Dssident threat is higher than it has been in a long time(Paddy PIRA for those of you not long in).

And last but not least, I was verbally attacked last time I wore my uniform downtown to pick up some stuff for work. I had to dragged away by otherwise I would have been facing prison sentance. Effectivly I am disshartened with the British public's support for the Armed forces.

S

shadowwolf

I would agree with Stingray, as I too am now in the land of the Big Headed and Big Browed, BUT you can say a lot about the yanks, they DO support their troops.

Actually it is almost painful how much they do, as every day on the TV and streets you see support from the public over here, on street corners you see banners welcoming individuals back from over there, on road bridges over the motorways , on the radio.

And the government over here actually try to do all they can to accomodate the families when separated by distance, something that the UK has sucked at since forever......

Maybe it is time that the "old country" finally took a lesson from the kids and actually TRIED to make people in the services want to be there.....

Yes the Yanks do a lot of flag waving, but they actually are PROUD of their country, how many back home can actually say they are still proud of Britain really ???

Last edited:

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
Recently the medical centre has publicised that it is only for aeronautical medicine as well.

The wife has to register at the local doctors and has been seen on the front page of the local paper registering at the front of the queue for the new dentists in Elgin.

So that's Lossie - No Medical Care, Marham - No Medical Care, St Mawgan - No Medical Care, Brize - No Medical Care, does any camp cater for the families?

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Recently the medical centre has publicised that it is only for aeronautical medicine as well.

The wife has to register at the local doctors and has been seen on the front page of the local paper registering at the front of the queue for the new dentists in Elgin.

So that's Lossie - No Medical Care, Marham - No Medical Care, St Mawgan - No Medical Care, Brize - No Medical Care, does any camp cater for the families?

Cosford does,

Leuchars used to when I was there a few years ago, however I think they stopped it soon after.

HTB

FOAs

SAC
Currently Benson does , however my wife has been told by the civvie receptionist she has to register elsewhere to which the next week she recieved her medical card wtf???

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
Leuchars still does (or did 6 months ago)

IIRC the provision of care to families depends on either location (ie no local provision) or if the medical centre is registered as a GP training practice (as a GP under training requires a wider variety of patients than you get in the standard Service population).

dogman

LAC
dogman

dogman

I spend 3 months a year in Florida.(when its COLD in the Uk.)Yes they do LOOK after their guys in uniform.On an internal flight to Texas in December,2 army guys came on board in uniform,passengers on board stood and gave them a cheer as they boarded.asked where have you been serving they replied Iraq.Asked by one passenger did you pay for this flight,they said yes but we get a special reduced rate.How much was the next question.When they said what they had paid,within a few minuets there was a whip round and several passengers refunded them the cost of their fares.Also about 5 miles away from our Condo there is a big 2000 bed Vets hospital,any vet on a forces pension can turn up at that hospital and get first class treatment at no cost.Special advisors are there to check that they are getting all various allowances they are entitled to.I confess I feel shame for our country at the way our guys are treated.

Exile Snr(My Dad) once asked me why I did not wear my uniform in public(after the spitting incident at Wittering). I told him in no uncertain terms that although I am proud to serve my country and to wear my uniform, most people look at you like you have a can of baked beans stuck to your forehead. And also there is the security issue, as I don't want any ragheads following me back home and such. Also the Dssident threat is higher than it has been in a long time(Paddy PIRA for those of you not long in).

And last but not least, I was verbally attacked last time I wore my uniform downtown to pick up some stuff for work. I had to dragged away by otherwise I would have been facing prison sentance. Effectivly I am disshartened with the British public's support for the Armed forces.

I only asked for the time, and you just flew off the handle

B

brucebear

To be really honest with the amount of cutbacks to the military i would prefer the limited money to be spent on vital kit rather than my medical/ dental care.. Join a civvy practice they really are not that bad.:pDT_Xtremez_26: