• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

EDCL Course

F

Fablon biff chit

I'm down to do the ECDL course soon.

Having paid my £125, I wonder what other "goat fiddlers" think of it? Have you done it? Was it interesting/useful? Does it help you in civvy street?

Thanks!

SgtScribbly

Corporal
I'm down to do the ECDL course soon.

Having paid my £125, I wonder what other "goat fiddlers" think of it? Have you done it? Was it interesting/useful? Does it help you in civvy street?

Thanks!

Got told by a hr recruiter for a civvy company last year to never put it on the cv if the job you are applying for is anyway related to IT, they use it to filter out the biffs. His words not mine.

Hope that helps

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
I've done most of it. Part 1 (Modules 1, 2 and 7) is very dull for anyone who knows how to turn the computer on. I'm assuming you've got that part squared away!

The other modules are Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Access, and even experienced users can learn a shortcut or 2.

To be honest I haven't found it very useful, I did it because it's something I think I will have to have when I eventually hang up my blue suit for the last time.

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
I did it because it's something I think I will have to have when I eventually hang up my blue suit for the last time.

Just about to start it....not for any particular reason apart from at the mo at ISL it's FREE...thats the best type of course you can get.

Crack on........:pDT_Xtremez_09:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Got to ask - Why have you paid £125 when you can do it through Learn Direct for free?????

F

Fablon biff chit

It's a course run at my unit. To be honest I'm not too clued up with the educational system in the RAF.

I can claim 80% of the £125 back in due course anyway.

It's a week off work anyway!

FOMz

Warrant Officer
It's a course run at my unit. To be honest I'm not too clued up with the educational system in the RAF.

I can claim 80% of the £125 back in due course anyway.

It's a week off work anyway!

But you're still paying for it.............................. ??????????????????????????/

Chaka

Sergeant
I agree with the Fomz, why are you paying for it?????

I discovered the ECDL means jack-sh1te in civvie street and I got bored and could not be bothered finishing the Course. T'was a complete waste of time as it was so basic and aimed at Primary School kids, Rock Apes or people who work in the Guardroom.
:pDT_Xtremez_08:

Meathead

LAC
ECDL is worthwhile if you are a computer biff (no offence intended), and want to learn a bit more so you dont keep having to keep asking the office IT geek for another favour!

If you have an idea that you want to work in I.T. but have no previous, well I would say that this is the most basic course, so its a good a place as any to start (especially the free version!),

A

Albert Park

Well i aint started it yet...it will be free but is it worthwhile ??...If not i wont bother !!

Have a look at the sample questions in my previous post. Also, if you know your way around MS Word, Access, Excel, Powerpoint then that's about it really.

In hindsight, I think it was a waste of time and is given a higher billing that it deserves. Absolutely ZERO bragging rights, if you've got it. When I did it it was the latest 'must have' bit of paper.

If it's free - give it a go. Nowt to lose.

Sammy

SAC
I have done the whole thing, I had to pay £40 initially, but that was refunded when I gave the receipt to accounts, so it was free. I only did it because I had to do parts 1,2 and 7 as part of my FMA to get a pay rise, and just did the rest because it got me out of work and was free.

Not sure if it means too much in civvy street, havent seen any job advertisments asking for it, apart from E2 civil servant admin assistants jobs.

I certainly wouldnt pay for it. If you want to do IT, and are going to use one of your enhanced learning credits claims, I would do a course with the OU instead. To use ELC on the ECDL is a waste in my opinion.

Captain Slog

Trekkie Nerd
Subscriber
I did it last year through the local college who offer courses on the Unit and it was free. Some of it I knew already but also learned some new useful tips.

The college insisted it was the universally recognised European IT standard but if you intend to take up a career that does not involve IT, I would not bother with it. However, if IT is a part of your future employment, I suggest you get the tick in the box, especially if you intend to gain further IT qualifications such as NVQ, etc.

The one big hint I will give you is, when you do the exams, do NOT use local short cuts you may have learned, the computer will not recognise them and it will fail you. Only use what the exercise books tell you.

However, the main thing is - it is free if you do it at the right place, so don’t get ripped off. Good luck.

M

monobrow

ferkin hell, CLAIT I did in year 7 at school. (was supposed to do it at year 9, but I'd finished it all quickly....)

Peace of pi$$ if you can use the basic office package. And databases aren't that scary.....

I'm gonna do the ECDL but only to get the peice of paper. I reckon I could have it done in a night or 2 if allowed access to the tests at home.

FFS if I can do the PC 333 CBT for LITS in a shift, it'd be pi$$ easy!

Last edited:

PTR Hoar

Sergeant
The guys in the learning cell told me ECDL is only "valid" for like 2 years after you pass it then you need to do it again if you wanna put it on your CV, like the guys said though i don't know a single person who has put it down on anything other that thier 6000 for some reason......

The Loan Ranger

Corporal
Started it in Bosnia last year, but IMO if you're on here posting on a regular basis you already know more than ECDL has to offer....

was quite handy for the infantry lads out there, that should give you an idea on how good it is

then again it's free, I still wouldn't waste your time

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
I got shafted with mine. I did it whilst I was in Al Kharj for 2 months on the understanding that I could finish it back in the UK. It was CD-ROM based and I tghought it was good because I actually wanted to learn how to use MS OFFICE. and not just pass an exam.

When I returned to Leeming, I was told I'd have to start it again as Leeming's was tutor based. When I did it, all they taught me was the answer to the questions in the exam, which wasn ot what I wanted.

My advice is if you want to learn how to use elements of OFFICE, enrole on one of the many courses run by TDF (depending on which station you're at).

F

Fablon biff chit

Having just finished the course, contrary to what is posted here I found it a good experience, definatley worth the £25 I paid. Beats a week at work!

I

Irritant

I did mine whilst taking a break from digging the Wyton tunnel.

I brought it up at my interview when I deserted the mob. It just drew blank expressions.

I found the tests were a pain in the butt. In windows you have many ways of using controls like "cut and paste". Tool bar, mouse. I use CTRL C & V and have done for some time. Try and do it that way in the test and you fail. It must be done one way and only one way, jeeeeeeeeeeeze it was a pain.

A bit like being back at Binbrook in the exercise days of the early 80`s.

In fact no, thinking about it. Nothing was that bad.

WIWOL