• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Eczema - Med Discharge

A

awc100408

Hi guys, I'm after some advice as there is very little out there on med discharges! I was at RAF Henlow last week for a permanent med board after 18 months on a temporary downgrade for eczematised psoriasis. I was given A4 L5 M5 E5 Permanent - Unfit Further Service.

What very few people can tell me is what happens now!

A little more for my story - I was due out after 9 years at the end of June (starting resettlement leave today 4th April 2012, but on sick leave instead), but now have been given a med discharge!

My questions are;
  • What happens now?
  • When should I find out a date I will be out, or will it be the same as before?
  • Am I still entitled to my full resettlement?
I am going to thank you all in advance.

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
Until they give you a new date assume your exit date will remain the same.
Resettlement time is increased for med discharges, so check with PSF ASAP to re-gig your leave etc.
That time can be spent on courses or at home preparing CV's etc.
You should have been given full details on your entitlements at Henlow along with a debrief.

Are you really sure you have been given a Med Discharge? I'm not that sure!

You may indeed have been permanently downgraded to A4 L5 M5 E5 Permanent - Unfit Further Service but as you have already commenced the resettlement process you could be leaving at your normal exit date under standard terms. The 'Unfit Further Service' bit probably just means you will be offered no extension to Service.

I am downgraded to a similar level but fortunately, as a SNCO, I was offered LOS 30 prior to my downgrade and can stay in to my normal exit date.

If in doubt, see PSF (or whatever they call themselves at the moment) and make them earn their techie pay packets.

Good luck with resettlement and the future.

A

awc100408

Thanks for the speedy reply, I have been told at the board it is a Medical Discharge, along with a letter from the Gp Capt titled; Recommendation for Medical Discharge....

I think I'll be giving PSF a call this afternoon!

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
I can only base my answer on my wife`s situation which was the back end of 2007 so things may have changed a little since then.

She went for her medical boarding 1 week before her planned 12 year exit point, someone in the system had cancelled her appointments twice and it was only by her own insistence that this was forced through. Anyway back on track, at the boarding like you my wife was found unfit for futher service as we expected and we went through all the paperwork and she went home after Henlow to wait out.

She was called a couple of days later by her Chf Clk and informed that she would no longer be discharged on her expected date but a date would be forthcoming when they had worked out all the dates. This took about a month to come through, they had to wait for the original decision to backed up before they could do anything formal.

In the end she was recredited with the enhanced resettlement, she was given another set of terminal leave, her previoius one had been reclassed as sickness and the extra annual holiday, she went from 27th November ** exit to a 1st April ** exit which gave her plenty of time on pay to find another job and sort out her life.

We were lucky as we were expecting the out come but it was still a shock the finality of it so I hope you are coping with the situation.

Sent with predictive text, apologies for bad wording

Leggy

LAC
Advice needed

Advice needed

Well may have just had my question answered. Many moons ago 1980 to be precise I wanted to join the RAF and while in the process of doing so I suddenly developed Eczema, in 18yrs I'd never had it once then bang, it was only on my lower leg's not any other part of my body. Well I was told that I had no chance of joining and so that was that. I did retry when I was 23, but answer was still no way.
Now I recently spoke with someone who is now ex RAF and he said that he knew people who had Eczema and were in the RAF in the 80's.
Would anyone be able to say whether this is true ?? I personally dont think it is but as I was never in the RAF I cannot say.

G

grumpyoldb

I have Eczema on my hands. It didn't rear it's head while I was serving but thanks to a very switched on GP I now use Diprobase cream several times a day and it is very much under control, even though I spend most of the day with my hands in soil. There are treatments for it depending on the severity.

Lamptramp

An ex-DF - in dog rescue!
Well may have just had my question answered. Many moons ago 1980 to be precise I wanted to join the RAF and while in the process of doing so I suddenly developed Eczema, in 18yrs I'd never had it once then bang, it was only on my lower leg's not any other part of my body. Well I was told that I had no chance of joining and so that was that. I did retry when I was 23, but answer was still no way.
Now I recently spoke with someone who is now ex RAF and he said that he knew people who had Eczema and were in the RAF in the 80's.
Would anyone be able to say whether this is true ?? I personally dont think it is but as I was never in the RAF I cannot say.

One of my colleagues i knew for many years had a very bad case of it while we were in Germany (he had it before he got there). He used to scratch and leave most of his arm on the office floor, poor sod. I bumped into him years later promoted to WO and still shedding.

Leggy

LAC
One of my colleagues i knew for many years had a very bad case of it while we were in Germany (he had it before he got there). He used to scratch and leave most of his arm on the office floor, poor sod. I bumped into him years later promoted to WO and still shedding.

Thanks for the info Lamp, seems I'll have to apologise to mate as I really thought he was just being a T**t and rubbing it in. Maybe I should have tried harder to join up than just accepting what I was told at the time. Would have been nice to have had the internet back in 1979/80 :).