• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Early pension

mild mannered janitor

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I was made redundant in 2012 and lost my pension but would be due a lump sum at retirement age.
I have some workplace pensions since I left and now that I have terminal cancer I can withdraw them before I shuffle off.
Can the same be said for my RAF pension, I suspect I know. The answer but thought I'd ask to see if anyone has an idea.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Thought I'd ask to see if anyone has an idea.
Barch makes a good suggestion. Vauxhall is our resident expert on pension matters and may be able to post the info you need.

Some early pension gen on page 6 of this thread don't know if it helps but.....

Last edited:

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
According to the VG, IT may be possible...

Can I claim early?​

If you are unable to work full time due to permanent physical or mental ill-health, you can apply to receive your pension early. And if you left the Armed Forces following injury or disability due to service, find out more about War Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, or in Scotland

Vauxhall

Sergeant
FORCES PENSION EXPERT
I was made redundant in 2012 and lost my pension but would be due a lump sum at retirement age.
I have some workplace pensions since I left and now that I have terminal cancer I can withdraw them before I shuffle off.
Can the same be said for my RAF pension, I suspect I know. The answer but thought I'd ask to see if anyone has an idea.
You say you lost your pension and I am taking that to mean that you lost the opportunity to draw your pension immediately, instead seeing it preserved (for AFPS 75) until age 60 (for the part earned before 6 April 2006) and age 65 (for the balance) - for AFPS 05 the preserved pension age for all pension accrued is 65. There is a rule which allows the scheme to pay a pension before these ages if the member suffers permanent ill health. The form is attached and if you need any help at all in filling it in just send me a PM.

mild mannered janitor

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts

Thanks for the link, i sent the form off and just had it sent back to me. i attached doctors letters detaling my condition in full.

Was that enough ? hell no. i now have a bloody stack of forms to fill out to effectivly prove im dying.
the leter from the consultant was not good enough.

This is now an issue as i struggle to write properly.

claimed other pensions with minimal problems, why does the military make it so difficult !!!!!!!

mild mannered janitor

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
just like to thanks for the advice i got here, after sending the last set of paperwork the other week i was preparing for an uphill battle.

How wrong was i ? got a letter late last week saying i am getting a lump sum (more than i was expecting) and on top of that im getting a monthly pension until i shuffle off (was not expecting that at all)

Thats a little less financial shit to worry about.