• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Drink driving.........Dont do it

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

I agree that there are many thigs which cause a significant hazard/distraction when driving - loose children, smoking, using a mobile phone, fiddling with Sat-Nav, the radio etc and of course intoxication. Transgression should be severely punished.

Perhaps we shouldn't be quick to judge drink-drivers, I know a couple of covicted drink-drivers who have mitigating stories of emotional stress etc that caused them to do it - and I can understand that.

But someone who drink-drives and then fails to feel utter remorse for their despicable actions gets no sympathy from me. An explanation for why they did it should never be an excuse. Drink-driving is in-excusable. A car is a deadly weapon and any use when not in complete control is a reckless and wholly irresponsible act.

Plumber

Flight Sergeant
TheHogwartsBEngO said:
I agree that there are many thigs which cause a significant hazard/distraction when driving - loose children, smoking, using a mobile phone, fiddling with Sat-Nav, the radio etc and of course intoxication. Transgression should be severely punished.

Perhaps we shouldn't be quick to judge drink-drivers, I know a couple of covicted drink-drivers who have mitigating stories of emotional stress etc that caused them to do it - and I can understand that.

But someone who drink-drives and then fails to feel utter remorse for their despicable actions gets no sympathy from me. An explanation for why they did it should never be an excuse. Drink-driving is in-excusable. A car is a deadly weapon and any use when not in complete control is a reckless and wholly irresponsible act.

So you've never re-tuned the radio, answered the mobile, argued with the other half, generally been distracted by something whilst driving then BengO? Saying a car is a deadly weapon is like saying you shouldn't use pens because they can be used as dangerous weapons.

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

It's a lot easier to accidentaly use a car as a weapon though - you have to work pretty hard to get a pen to be a weapon.

I'm not saying that I'm perfect, yes I've tuned the radio, yes I've become distracted whilst driving and had the odd narrow escape as a result but I'd like to think that if I had caused an accident - or hurt somebody as a result I would be devastated and unable to live with myself. I also like to think that I have learnt some valuable lessons from these 'sh1t your pants' moments.

I was picking up on someone's argument that you shouldn't judge drink-drivers and that they have their excuses. Drink-driving is avoidable and should never be tolerated. I also think there should be laws against being complicit in allowing someone who you know is intoxicated to drive.

My arguments might not be very elloquently put, but I have my opinions of drink-driving - and they are very low.

Plumber

Flight Sergeant
I disagree about condemning someone to burn in hell for all eternity because they made a stupid mistake whilst drunk (alcohol impairs judgement), maybe just a couple of lifetimes. However its a very good point you made about knowingly allowing someone to drink and drive.

This post has been internally verified by Mrs P to avoid trouble.:pDT_Xtremez_06: