• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Drink driving.........Dont do it

A

A CLING NERD SHRON

Hello Chip. Do you have a drink driving message for us this year?

A

A CLING NERD SHRON

Ok. Not quite what I was expecting. Let me put it another way for you......................................

"Our message is simple - Have fun during this festive period- but please, if you go out, wake up the next day safely and healthily, not in a police cell or hospital bed as a result of irresponsible or careless behaviour."

Drinking and Driving costs precious lives...........:mad:

Better?

chiprafp

Geek Scuffer
Nice one Weebl

Cling there are too many fluffy messages out there. What is required are advertising campaigns like back home in NI, adverts showing kids being run over by drink drivers, adverts showing the aftermath of their actions. Drink drivers are the lowest of the low and should be publically shot.

A

A CLING NERD SHRON

My message was from the Chief Constable of South Wales Police. It was a cut and paste so I guess that the professionals idea of a message is too fluffy.

Here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4532082.stm

I do like weebls version. Straigh to the point without insulting anybody.

Last edited:
B

Bitter&Twisted

Dont Drink & Drive..............

......You'll spill it

Seriously though it's not just a message that needs reinforcing at this time of year, it happens on every Unit all year round because people know that there is very little that will happen to them if caught. What we need is the proper equipment (roadside breath screening devices and the intoximeter back at Plod HQ) and more importantly the authorisation from the big cheese to use it within the bounds of an RAF Station.

chiprafp

Geek Scuffer
I thought you might like Weebl's version, him not being a copper after all. I am not here to be Pc Cling, I dont have to worry about politics like the good Chief Constable. Ar$e.

A

always_broken_in_wilts

So of course none of you pompous arses who have posted so far have EVER D&D;d..................................of course not:rolleyes:

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

B

Beerofund

Double standards!

Double standards!

always_broken_in_wilts said:
So of course none of you pompous arses who have posted so far have EVER D&D;d..................................of course not:rolleyes:

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

ABIW

Good point - and dont forget the speeding and illegal parking on camps - and speeding on the public roads to boot!

They (scuffers) will telling us next they never use green duracell batteries in walkmans and have regulation numbers of socks and shirts in their wardrobes!:mad:

Sorry for dragging this post off topic!:eek: I'll get off my soapbox now

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
always_broken_in_wilts said:

This pompous arse has certainly not.

After nearly being killed by one at the age of 16 and spending 3 months in hospital and another 6 recovering at home I have managed to resist or get a taxi.

I have noticed drink driving seems to be becoming socially acceptable again with people finding it funny?

While my comment was not meant to indicate i wish people who drink and drive would die in a ditch, it was my attempt at a better 'don't do it' slogan than the one Cling posted.

chiprafp

Geek Scuffer
I am happy to be a pompous ar$e, its much better than being an absolute idiot such as yourself! I have never and will never Drink and drive. If you do I hope to god you get caught, at the very least!

Weebl you may not want them to die in a ditch, but rather that then some poor innocent lose their life.

A

A CLING NERD SHRON

Weebl said:
While my comment was not meant to indicate i wish people who drink and drive would die in a ditch, it was my attempt at a better 'don't do it' slogan than the one Cling posted.

Like I said earlier weebl My message was from the Chief Contable of South Wales Police. It was a cut and paste so I guess that the professionals idea of a message is too fluffy.

Here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4532082.stm

Well here is the proof that the message just isn't getting through

Christmas drink-driving has seen its sharpest increase for five years, despite widespread government advertising campaigns.

Out of more than 15,000 drivers breath-tested after accidents 8% were over the limit - an increase of almost 1% on the last festive season.

The rise has been blamed on persistent drink-drive offenders and a new breed of young motorists with no comprehension of the dangers of alcohol and driving.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1749770.stm

Last edited:

Stax

Flight Sergeant
Many moons ago in the days of "Blow in the bag sir" I was stopped on the way to a christmas party at a roadside check. I admitted to the pint I had in the pub 10 -15 mins before, blew in the bag, all clear, copper said "thanks have a nice christmas", off I went, thinking, if I had had the 2nd pint I may have been over the limit, and done for D&D. I had passed my test only 2 months before, how stupid would that have been. To this day I have never, knowingly, D&D. I say knowingly as I suspect I may have been close to the limit on the odd occasion I have had to drive the next morning. I try not to do that!

B

Bluntend

Doh...

Doh...

A few years ago a LAC posted into my section had had his promotion to SAC withheld for 6 months as part of his punishment for being caught drink driving. It turns out that not only had he crashed and written off his brand new car, he did it on the steps of Gloucestershire County Constabulary's HQ. I guess if you’re going to do it, do it with style… :raf:

Oracle

LAC
just to add a new point on the hard hitting D&D messages, recent research has highlighted the fact that individuals are not shocked by the message anymore as we have all become desensitised to the shock tactics used> those messages shown in NI no longer carry the same punch due to the level of shock and violence in our lives on the news and in our entertainment (films, books, mags etc). Just how strong does the message have to get, will we reach a point where the message has to be so strong it carries an 18 certificate. Maybe these shock tactics are not the right approach any more and could actually do more harm than good by increasing the difficulty of getting the message across in the future. What is the right way in future, soft and fluffy, hard hitting, a middle ground or maybe a new direction, any thoughts.

T

Twonston Pickle

One thing that got the message across to me was having actually done it myself and not remembered.

I'm not suggesting this is a good idea but I certainly got the shock of my life when my mate, who I thought had come to pick me up the next day and take me to my car, told me that my car was in the car park and why was I such an @rse! Shocked me into not doing it again.

Plumber

Flight Sergeant
I think its fair to say most of us have made stupid mistakes at some point, I for one have certainly been lucky not to get caught the morning after I'm sure. Bad I know and I've beaten myself up for afterwards for being a 7wa7.

Maybe if the police did more breath tests early morning it would be enough of a deterrent to stop and make people think before they get in their cars to go to work (How many would need to get charged for everyone else to figure its not worth the risk?).

Now for the controversial bit. I like many have seen good guys that I like and respect get done for this (rightly so) because of one moments stupidity/madness/complete loss of reason. Am I now supposed to treat them with comtempt knowing how easy it is for anyone to make this mistake, also knowing I've probably been guilty of the same crime but was fortunate enough not to get caught.

Stax

Flight Sergeant
Plumber said:
I think its fair to say most of us have made stupid mistakes at some point, I for one have certainly been lucky not to get caught the morning after I'm sure. Bad I know and I've beaten myself up for afterwards for being a 7wa7.

Now for the controversial bit. I like many have seen good guys that I like and respect get done for this (rightly so) because of one moments stupidity/madness/complete loss of reason. Am I now supposed to treat them with comtempt knowing how easy it is for anyone to make this mistake, also knowing I've probably been guilty of the same crime but was fortunate enough not to get caught.

Plumber,

You are a man of great wisdom! There are times you hear of the "unlucky" bloke who is only just over the limit and loses his licence/promotion/career. I honestly believe in the "there before the grace of god go I" school. As I stated earlier, whilst not D&D I suspect my levels ae still high the next morning. Now I don't often drive, but I have been known to cycle, that's just as bad. I try to stay over somewhere now as it makes life easier and, unless you are a complete teetotaler, I hazard a guess that we have all been guilty in a small way at some time in our careers.

D

decco

I used to call drink drivers for everything, really, really , really nasty names, then I got hooped on an all day session jumped in my car and drove it into a bridge and wrote it off, got nicked , banned and all the other good stuff.

Now why did I do it?

I will tell you, I did it because i was ****ed, very ****ed, so much in fact that i really cant remember ever thinking it was a bad idea.

So before all you people standing on your morale high ground like I used to do all those years ago, start slagging people off for DD, go and check out some stats for drink driving, about one in every hundred drivers has been convicted if i remember rightly, so just remember there is a fair chance it will be you one day, as you never know whats around the corner.

IMO women with kids in the car are more of a danger than drunk drivers