• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Drifting.

actechy14

LAC
On the road its a chavvy, d*ckish way to drive. On a track, its an awsome spectator sport, that is more enjoyable and less frustrating than any other form of 4 wheel motorsport I reckon.

Dragoon

Sergeant
I used to do a bit of amateur drifting when I was in the mob. (I had the money then!)
I'd go to local Drift What Ya Brung (DWYB) days that were held at places like Silverstone, Santa Pod, but mainly small airfields such as Enstone.

When at Brize I'd sometimes head up to Little Rissington in the evenings when it was quiet and nobody was gliding/flying/GDT courses etc and use the old pans on the other side of the runway to the main site to do a bit of practice. Many people were naughty and used the site to do a bit of racing; some no doubt acted like cocks and I'd seen people in Porsche's etc racing up and down the runway. Until one evening after I'd had a bit of drift practice some grumpy git in a Rover 25 (clearly jealous of the superior cars in front of him :pDT_Xtremez_30:) wearing a 216 Sqn t-shirt pitched up (he was from the gliding club, there had been no flying that evening so not sure what he had been up to) and said it was MoD property and I and my two mates were to leave before he called the police. Despite telling him were were in the MoD (we all were, but no way was I going to show my 1250 so he could track me down at work!) he was adamant we leave so we did. Fair cop we were using the site when we shouldn't be, but under the circumstances I felt we were fine using it.

So, Mr Killjoy 216 Sqn t-shirt man, would you rather we did a bit of mucking about in cars in your local car park or on your street, or out in the middle of nowhere on an empty, practically disused airfield? Maybe your here reading this? Judging by many comments here several people share his feelings on the matter. But I digress...

It was expensive to do mind; I'd buy used tyres and stick them in the boot, drive up to an event, whack the crappy tyres on with steel wheels, burn rubber, then drive home with my good wheels/tyres put back on the back.

Last edited:

briggfairy

Sergeant
as some of you may or may not know i do a bit of motorsport marshalling, one of the events i attended at cadwell this year was modified live which included a drift championship of some kind (i think the european, whilst i understand theres a lot of skill involved and a lot of money i just found it a little bit boring, but each to your own!

in reply to the op drifting isn't as yet a recognised discipline within the rafmsa however there are a load of different things you can get involved in some for not a lot of money!!

oh and as for practicing i see very little difference between an abandoned airfield and an abandoned carpark, without the fire/rescue facilities you would find at any organised event any form of motorsport is dangerous so why take the unneeded risk? i'm sure if theres the space and it's mod owned property a quick word with the swo may result in an officially sanctioned club covering you from any further action!