• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do any ex-Laarbruckites remember this place?

G

grumpyoldb

Remember the house mixed grill?
"We guarantee you won't finish it".

How many times did I try?
How many times did I come away not being able to fasten my belt?

Last edited:
G

gemarriott

Remember the house mixed grill?
"We guarantee you won't finish it".

How many times did I try?
How many times did I come away not being able to fasten my belt?
That was my local restaurant.

Pride if the house 32 dm two persons,64 dms 4 persons

commonly known as tha Balkan.

No never heard of it:pDT_Xtremez_19:

G

grumpyoldb

I took my outlaws there when they came to visit in '77.
P*ssed myself when her old man couldn't fasten his trousers.
He was a pig of the first degree.:pDT_Xtremez_31:

GEM...........that 32DM for 2 persons was about 7 squid. Try finding a never ending meal for that, these day's.

Last edited:
Those little flags ?....stuck in the whole peeled raw onions hidden every so often beneath that mountain of chips - did'nt stop me pulling them out and eating them like apples - with a steak in the other hand of course!

G

gemarriott

And the half a loaf buried under the rice and sour kraut in the middle.

They also did a brilliant spicy lamb dish called something like muckalika, my mrs had cravings for that when she was pregnant with our eldest.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
It was a terrific meal - though I only tried twice!
We tried to find this place again when I got posted back there in 1996 - sadly closed - or I'd forgotten exactly where it was on the Street! and couldn't find another Balkan in the area.
Ho-Hum, still managed another good tour though.

Rigga

Lamptramp

An ex-DF - in dog rescue!
You misserable b@stards!

its not fair making an old DF's mouth water -matron believes I am dribbling!

I think it was called "Der Agrhamaplatter" if my old memory serves me well.

The one in Goch square was good as well.

G

gemarriott

Kevelaer's was the Bier Brunnen or some such name. We lived behind a cafe on Hauptstrasse which ran parallel to the street it was on.We ate there most months at least twice.

Captain Slog

Trekkie Nerd
Subscriber
Fantastic place, I will never forget when I took my parents there in ’75 and the look on my old man's face when they brought the giant platter out was a picture. We both loved our nosh but we could not finish it, about the only time we had been beaten by a restaurant meal.

D

dawnrider

Balkan Restuarant, Kevelar

Balkan Restuarant, Kevelar

Remember it well. And the Old Mill Disco, although that IS going back a few years, 74 - 78 to be precise!!

matkat

SAC
Yes remember it well I lived in the towering infern but used to go there regularly also used to love the carry sauce schnitzels from the little city, memories memories.

Mr Ben

LAC
Subscriber
I remember the Balkan grill quite fondly, several attempts to finish the platter, but was always defeated.

My brother came to visit, quite a portly fella, nearly made it, beaten by one extremely spicey sausage, he had quite an audience as he neared the end.

I also remember Marlies? by the level crossing, the Oxford Club and Alpago's ice cream parlour - a full English breakfast made from ice cream, excellent quality, often had an Alpago's Cup for myself, although it was supposed to be for two to share.

My ex worked in Little S**ty (sorry city) for a while, always good for free schnitzels and beer.

M

maxvon

Used to love the Gyros from the Little City!_ Was always fascinated by the Bratty chopping machine!!! Happy days- Has any one bought one of these yet..www.cafepress.com/creamtees and click on Laarbruch!!

The Vossen Heuvel?

The Vossen Heuvel?

Anyone remember the ‘Vossen Heuvel’ hot stone restaurant over the border? Through the Well border, hit the main Venlo/Nijmegen road turn right and it was off to the left in the middle of the woods somewhere. You could purchase a platter of raw meat (chicken, pork, mixed or game with wild boar, venison, pheasant etc) dressed with wild forest mushrooms, onions, baby sweet corn etc. and cook it at the table on a kiln-fired piece of granite either in a main restaurant or their huge conservatory restaurant. As a starter course you could have a cheese fondue. You could also indulge in a chocolate fondue for afters.
I too lived in the Towering Inferno and had one of them awful table top sh!tters, used to have to sit on it backwards after a pig out at the Vossen Heuvel so I didn’t get jacked up skywards the following day. There was also an excellent Chinese restaurant off to the right on the same road but heading towards Venlo, but the name evades me! Hehe! Happy dayz.

Last edited:
I am currently sitting in a married quarter at the old RAF Wildenrath site (Andover Crescent) having bought the family over for a nostalgia boost.

My daughter has heard us ramble on about Alpagos for years. We went in yesterday and stuffed ourselves, it was fantastic! Lunch had been a schnitzel in Goch square. Loads more to do today as we are off to Bruggen. I refuse to call it the new name :)

Regards

ss

PS Lots of ghosts knocking about LBH, fair made me shiver.

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
...Lunch had been a schnitzel in Goch square. ....
Bugger!!! Followed by a few Wobblys in Haus Huck by any chance?! :pDT_Xtremez_28: You've just dragged back soooooo many memories (had a quarter out in Goch, best 4 years of my life! :pDT_Xtremez_30:)

B

BRUFEN BOY

Alt weeze in old weezy served great scoff.

Best chicken in G was the Fox near JHQ:pDT_Xtremez_26: