• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Distance Learning

ZebrasKneecaps

Corporal
Im looking at doing an A-Level, preferably Maths, before moving on to an OU course of some kind. The problem is with me being at Creech, we don't really get a chance to walk to our Education Centre at Waddington.

I haven't really used any Education Allowance in the 11 years since i joined, so im not really sure what the score is.

Does anyone have any gen on who or where i could do a Maths A-Level distance learning course with? and also, is it easy enough to get enrolled without having to be in the UK?

Cheers :pDT_Xtremez_14:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
SLC is worth £175 a year as long. You should have 3 times ELC's at £2000 each of which you can use one each financial year with one supplier of courses ie you can't spread that around...e.g. I've booked £2400 of courses at Waddo later this year and I can offset the cost of it by using £1920 of this years ELC against it finding the rest from my ressetlement.

Do you have to bother with an A-level? Why not just crack on with a level one on the OU?

Surprised that an educator hasn't realised the juicyness of a Creech posting and demanded that a post be created.....

Im looking at doing an A-Level, preferably Maths, before moving on to an OU course of some kind. The problem is with me being at Creech, we don't really get a chance to walk to our Education Centre at Waddington.

I haven't really used any Education Allowance in the 11 years since i joined, so im not really sure what the score is.

Does anyone have any gen on who or where i could do a Maths A-Level distance learning course with? and also, is it easy enough to get enrolled without having to be in the UK?

Cheers :pDT_Xtremez_14:

I used http://www.icslearn.co.uk/ a few years ago, though it was before I joined up. As someone else suggested, why not do an OU course? There level 1 courses are equivalent to an A level (on the framework, an OU level 1 course is usually a SCQF level 6 or 7, same as an A level).
I take it you have signed up for the ELC scheme? (http://www.enhancedlearningcredits.com/mssql/index.html) The only thing you need your Education Centre for is the Personal Development Plan (Where you write down why this course will be beneficial etc) but you could send that to Wad. If you use the ELC website above, you can do most of the legwork yourself and just fax the docs to the Ed centre

Hope this helps you?

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I used http://www.icslearn.co.uk/ a few years ago, though it was before I joined up. As someone else suggested, why not do an OU course? There level 1 courses are equivalent to an A level (on the framework, an OU level 1 course is usually a SCQF level 6 or 7, same as an A level).
I take it you have signed up for the ELC scheme? (http://www.enhancedlearningcredits.com/mssql/index.html) The only thing you need your Education Centre for is the Personal Development Plan (Where you write down why this course will be beneficial etc) but you could send that to Wad. If you use the ELC website above, you can do most of the legwork yourself and just fax the docs to the Ed centre

Hope this helps you?

OU level 1 courses are at NQF level 4, level 2 courses are at NQF level 5 and level 3 courses are at NQF level 6. A levels are NQF level 3.

I wouldn't personally bother with an A level. If you don't think you can hack going straight to a level 1 OU course, they offer 'introductory' modules which don't count towards qualifications but are designed to help you back into study.

To me, A levels are only really suitable for 18 - 21 year olds trying to get into University through the UCAS system. IMHO, you are betting off getting stuck into an OU module straight away.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

Do you have to bother with an A-level? Why not just crack on with a level one on the OU?

To me, A levels are only really suitable for 18 - 21 year olds trying to get into University through the UCAS system. IMHO, you are betting off getting stuck into an OU module straight away.

I totally agree with both these sentiments.

OU level 1 courses are at NQF level 4, level 2 courses are at NQF level 5 and level 3 courses are at NQF level 6. A levels are NQF level 3.

I wouldn't personally bother with an A level. If you don't think you can hack going straight to a level 1 OU course, they offer 'introductory' modules which don't count towards qualifications but are designed to help you back into study.

The OU work to the SCQF framework, and your first year is equivalent to an A level basis of study. If you look at the OU (www.open.ac.uk) and search for the course MST121, that would be a good starter in maths, or if you feel a bit braver go for MS221 (Level 2 course). The only down point to the OU are the courses are generally offered twice a year (Feb and Oct), whereas if you did an A level via the ICS provider, you can start the course whenever, although the exams are sat at the same time as schools

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The OU work to the SCQF framework, and your first year is equivalent to an A level basis of study. If you look at the OU (www.open.ac.uk) and search for the course MST121, that would be a good starter in maths, or if you feel a bit braver go for MS221 (Level 2 course). The only down point to the OU are the courses are generally offered twice a year (Feb and Oct), whereas if you did an A level via the ICS provider, you can start the course whenever, although the exams are sat at the same time as schools

I was an OU student for many years, the OU policy is laid down here in black and white. As you can see, what I said originally was right. Year 1 is pitched at level 4 within the FHEQ/NQF. A levels are at Level 3. Look at this link for a description of what falls into what level on the NQF. Introductory OU courses, whilst not credit bearing, would probably b comparable to A level standard.

The QCDA has produced a book explaining the NQF (QCF) it is available here

The OU is an international University and certainly doesn't 'work to' the Scottish qualification framework exclusively, the tables on the link above are for comparative purposes only.

T

tacadmin

Defo crack on with OU Level 1 mate. A Levels are of no use to you whatsoever (how many civvy jobs do you see advertised as "applicants must possess A Levels"? None that i've seen....).
If you're worried about jumping striaght into a degree course, then don't be. I hadn't studied for 13 years and just decided to go for it, and i'm just finishing first 60 points of degree course and doing really well; and I don't consider myself to be that bright.
Do a 'cheapish' course first and use SLC's, and see how you get on. If you do well and want to go for the full degree, then think about using ELC's as Level 2 & 3 courses will be more expensive.
As far as where you are in the world, the only thing you will miss out on is the face-to-face tutorials. Can be useful, but i've missed the last 3 and can manage fine without them. All resources etc are on-line, and you can always e-mail the tutor with any issues.

:pDT_Xtremez_14:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
OU all the way

OU all the way

A levels are designed to follow on from GCSEs so if it's been some time since you were at school then you won't be best served going here.

OU takes into account the fact that you didn't get A' Levels and the books and other resources you get will give you all the information you need.

Having now done Distance Learning and Day release degree level study I think that the OU produces a quality product in a professional way, the only down side I found is that you can feel a bit lonely and out of depth, whereas with day release you quickly identify that's it not just you.

Additionally once you've got a few years under your belt an employer isn't going to give two figs about A'Levels and where high quality candidates are required the very least adverts ask for is Degree educated or similar.

Good luck with your studies, it's a long road but the feelings great when you get up on stage to shake the Dean's hand.

And with regards the other arguement on here, there is a new Qualification Framework that's added a few extra numbers so there.

Last edited:

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
A levels are designed to follow on from GCSEs so if it's been some time since you were at school then you won't be best served going here.

OU takes into account the fact that you didn't get A' Levels and the books and other resources you get will give you all the information you need.

Having now done Distance Learning and Day release degree level study I think that the OU produces a quality product in a professional way, the only down side I found is that you can feel a bit lonely and out of depth, whereas with day release you quickly identify that's it not just you.

Additionally once you've got a few years under your belt an employer isn't going to give two figs about A'Levels and where high quality candidates are required the very least adverts ask for is Degree educated or similar.

Good luck with your studies, it's a long road but the feelings great when you get up on stage to shake the Dean's hand.

And with regards the other arguement on here, there is a new Qualification Framework that's added a few extra numbers so there.

If you read the link I posted, the new framework has the same levels, but it now also includes the study length for each qualification, so you can tell the difference between a Post Graduate Certificate, Diploma and Masters Degree for example (which were all lumped under level 7 in the old NQF).

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
I jumped straight into The OU (M101) having only got GCE mathematics. But, not having done any serious studying for a few years I found it t was a bit of a roller coaster ride. I would advise you to get some of the 'cheap as chips' GCSE study guides first, really just to get back into putting 2-3 hours study away. OK, the OU recognises that you haven't been in the system for a while but any pre-course work that you do will ease the pressure when it comes to TMA time. Good luck.

ZebrasKneecaps

Corporal
Cheers for all of the replies.

Think im gonna ditch the A-Level idea like you've said and go with a Level 1.

Just gotta get my thick noggin back into studying mode now :pDT_Xtremez_42:

8:15fromOdium

Sergeant
Billy Boy, if you plan on claiming your SLC for the study make sure you register your interest and get the paperwork sorted with the Education Centre at Waddo before you start the course, it is difficult to make retrospective claims. Going straight into degree study with the OU is definately the best way I wasted a couple of years doing A levels, only to repeat the work in the OU foundation module. Good luck and happy studying.