• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Detachment to USA

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
Goaters,

I may be of to the US for a period on a course. Question to the floor, what is the process for med care when in the US? Will I be able to use the on base facilities? Should I be purchasing medical insurance for the time I am away or will the MoD cover all expenses?

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
Goaters,

I may be of to the US for a period on a course. Question to the floor, what is the process for med care when in the US? Will I be able to use the on base facilities? Should I be purchasing medical insurance for the time I am away or will the MoD cover all expenses?

If you're on a military course you'll be entitled to use the full base facilities whilst there, there's usually an agreement with the host country.

ScoobTech

Sergeant
Goaters,

You should be given a letter stating the that the hospital bills the embassy, just in case you end up in a civ hospital.

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
Spearmint will be along to give the definitive answer.

However, from my experience there is usually a MOU in place that we will use the onbase/HN med facilities.

In Minhad, we had a SMO but limited facilities and they would refer us to the local hospital and the MoD picked up the tab (saw it used for an appendicitis)

When there were none available on a recent trip away i called my PSF/SMO who authorised the treatment - i footed the bill and claimed it when i got back.

But tbh, all this should be covered in your paperwork prior to deploying.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
There should be an agreement in place as per whatever Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) is in place which means the British Embassy will cover the costs. Unsure on if you'll be issued a Foreign Identification Number (FIN) but if you do then this is the number you'll use on any med forms in the box US Nationals would fill with their Social Security Number (SSN).

There's quite a few walk in care centres dotted about and some will not recognise the FIN which will cause an issue for trying to settle the bill if your arm isn't hanging off. Obviously an Emergency is just that so no p*ssing about but for anything else such as toothache etc, act as per your arrivals brief.

Edit - Be wary of some dental practices etc as they'll see $'s before their eyes and try to convince you that you need a load of unnecessary work which the Embassy may see as elective and thus won't cover it....

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
PET course for a new post. Nothing is set in stone yet, just doing research on location to satisfy my own curiosity.