• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Det lengths

6 months is probably appropriate

6 months is probably appropriate

Realist78 -
AT are having a headache as it is without increasing the frequency of det turnarounds.

I've never been sold on the 'strain on AT ' as a reason for increasing det lengths, put simply the maths don't add up:

Flights required per post, per year:

4 months = 3 Rtn flights
4 months 1 Day = 6 Rtn flights (3 x R+R)
6 months = 4 Rtn flights (2 x R+R)

The fact is that 4 months is barely long enough to get into most of the jobs, unless you're coming from a post in that is constantly dealing with operations in theatre or are returning to theatre frequently.

Personally I have done 3, 4 and 6 month dets in the past and my preference would be for 4 months, however, the detail and background required in this theatre mean that 6 months is probably more appropriate.

he_who_dares_rodney

Flight Sergeant
I was always told that 4 months = Det, 6 months = posting
This was why Asi was 6 months and a posting and why Airmen who had done 6 months plus in Colly got posted whilst under 6 months got RTU'd

But on the flip side during Granby word was if you did 6 months and a day outside the U.K you would be exempt the poll tax

As someone who did 6 months with the Army at the sharp end in Iraq I would have quite happily done 12 months

Before you all drop off your seats let me explain

We were in the groove
The first 3 months were shaking down troops were moved about into their A.O's
3- 6 months everyone new what they were doing vehicle servicing etc was in fulL swing we could provide cover for R & R we knew every one in our B.G. if we needed to replace kit etc
Plus we knew the ground after 5 months the advanced parties are coming out and time is not only wasted taking them round but they lose the first month finding their feeteffectively losing control for 6 weeks IMHO

I personally think we could have done 12 months as a formed unit out there with only replacements coming in for the sick, dead and injured
We could have handled an extra 2 weeks R & R for everyone and the OSD to Doha was running well anyway with most people getting far more than one or two trips down there

However I would have liked to have seen the pay off for a 12 month tour being increased bennifits more in line with our Septic cousins

I lknow it would be hard on men and women with famillies but if the pay off would be one tour say every 4 years instead of 5 or six 3 and 4 month dets

As for singlies is 12 months at Bastion or KAF really worse than being stuck in some camp back home or Germany in t'old days?

It looked pretty decent on the RAF's premiere show "Warzone"

H

horror gunt aubergine

9 Months for Herrick for ALL RAF ranks from May next year.

Confirmed!

H

horror gunt aubergine

Lincoln confirmed it yesterday. It is the lead article in this months Informer.

I

ICATQ

9 Months for Herrick for ALL RAF ranks from May next year.

Confirmed!

About as firm as the date for the next general election.

I am deploying on H12 for 6 months as part of a FU. The FU RiPs are lined up and last for 6 months. To send anyone out for 9 months does not fit into the RiP cycle for FU's.

IA's deploying for 9 months will mean CAS has to not only increase the stated 4 month tour length for IAs to more than double that but justify it based on?

Not going to happen fella (although I wouldnt be surprised if it went to 6 months as the Army reduce it to 4......)

H

horror gunt aubergine

About as firm as the date for the next general election.

I am deploying on H12 for 6 months as part of a FU. The FU RiPs are lined up and last for 6 months. To send anyone out for 9 months does not fit into the RiP cycle for FU's.

IA's deploying for 9 months will mean CAS has to not only increase the stated 4 month tour length for IAs to more than double that but justify it based on?

Not going to happen fella (although I wouldnt be surprised if it went to 6 months as the Army reduce it to 4......)

ITS CONFIRMED!! Check the AWC site!

H

horror gunt aubergine

As this is the spooks forum, I presume you mean 9 months for all spooks posts as opposed to the wider RAF?

It is not just the Int trades. We are one of the 'crunch' trades that has been selected because of Ops continuity.

I

int chimp

yep this info is pukka, i found out my det has been extended yesterday )-:

I

ICATQ

If this is true, and it does apply to all trades and just not certain ones, this is a sysmic change in Policy which has yet to be promulagted through IBN or any other route. There is no way they could sneak this out under the radar and expect it to remain hidden for long.

Until I see something from the grown ups I shall remain sceptical that it relates to the wider RAF.

:pDT_Xtremez_14:

H

horror gunt aubergine

If this is true, and it does apply to all trades and just not certain ones, this is a sysmic change in Policy which has yet to be promulagted through IBN or any other route. There is no way they could sneak this out under the radar and expect it to remain hidden for long.

Until I see something from the grown ups I shall remain sceptical that it relates to the wider RAF.

:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Fair enough. I think it was slipped out when the news of massive RAF cuts was published. It should be picked up soon.